Just How Cold Was Oct - Dec 1985?

snow_wizard

This graphic gives a really good idea of just how cold the last 3 months of 1985 were for the Puget Sound lowlands.  As you can see it blows any other year out of the water.  A truly amazing anomaly!  The average for the three months was 5.0 degrees below normal beating out 2nd place 1916 by 1.7 degrees.  This is one cold record that is probably beyond reach any time soon.

post-222-0-47812300-1474864933_thumb.jpg

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The last time Seattle or Olympia had a January as cold as November '85 was in 1980. That's incredible.

It certainly is.  There are few places that are capable of being so cold in November that aren't capable of far colder in January than Seattle.  That having been said there is no question our coldest Januaries are still far colder than any November.  We are due.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The only comparable 3 month period for cold anomalies in recent years was Apr-Jun 2011. Depending on the location, that was a top 1-3 cold Apr-Jun for most places in the PNW.

And such a worthless time of year for it to happen.  Goes to show we are still capable of cold patterns here though.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The only comparable 3 month period for cold anomalies in recent years was Apr-Jun 2011. Depending on the location, that was a top 1-3 cold Apr-Jun for most places in the PNW.

October/November/December 2013 was fairly impressive for SW WA.

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?wa8773

Vancouver actually had its coldest October on record at its current location (1966-present), a coolish November, and then a top 10 cold December.

At the end of September 1985, we had lows of around 34 to end September, but wow November is impressive. The coldest day was -16C. I also had somewhere around 8" of snow that month. In December, there were many days where the highs were jumping 10C warmer, then dropping down 10C or so again at night. December was bad for snow. January '86 was balmy at times. One day had a high near or above 60F. :lol:

I was only 9 but I still remember Nov. 1985 like it was yesterday. Lake Goodwin froze solid and I remember walking out on the ice when my parents weren't looking...good thing the temps were as cold as they were otherwise I wouldn't be posting right now!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I was only 9 but I still remember Nov. 1985 like it was yesterday. Lake Goodwin froze solid and I remember walking out on the ice when my parents weren't looking...good thing the temps were as cold as they were otherwise I wouldn't be posting right now!

In spite of it being November it stands as the best cold snap I have witnessed here for unbroken duration and long lasting snow cover.  December was also cold enough in some places to keep ice on the lakes.  The other event I remember that comes close is January / Feb 1972, but I was quite young then.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

At the end of September 1985, we had lows of around 34 to end September, but wow November is impressive. The coldest day was -16C. I also had somewhere around 8" of snow that month. In December, there were many days where the highs were jumping 10C warmer, then dropping down 10C or so again at night. December was bad for snow. January '86 was balmy at times. One day had a high near or above 60F. :lol:

No doubt the winter kind of sucked after December, but February did have one decent snowfall / cold snap.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9