Yeah I think that sounds about right to me. What do you think the peaks will be for weekly or trimonthly? I wouldn't be surprised to see the weeklies top out a bit higher, maybe +2.6 or +2.7 in 3.4 and about +3 in 1+2 for the weeklies.

Seems like the tri monthlies might hit +2.2C or so in 3.4.

Several weeks ago I thought we'd stay at or below +2C analogous to 1888-89 & 1972-73, but this event appears to be taking things to another, unusual level that we've seen only a few times in the last 165 years. Over the last few months, slow-moving westward propagating Rossby Wave was beginning to shift the epicenter of + SST anomalies into the NINO 3-4 region, however it appears that this has halted @ least temporarily we've seen a renewed uptick in the far eastern Pacific as yet another KW begins to reach the eastern boundary region. I'd estimate we'll see a peak around +2.3-2.4C or so in OISSTv2, HADISST, Kaplan, & COBE barring that this NINO continues to intensify even at a modest pace thru October. The MEI just updated & the latest bi-monthly value of +2.527 sigma is tied for 12th highest value observed at any time of the year (98.5 percentile) and is once again ranked 2nd highest for the bi-monthly period behind 1997, which peaked in Aug-Sep 1997 in this index. Maintenance &/or continued intensification of this NINO wrt to the MEI of would result in a new record value for September-October. The MEI index defines a "Super" NINO as an event with an MEI value @ or above +3.0 std, however I think this is just a tad high based on the ONI thresholds (+2.0C) (1870-present) for Kaplan Extended SSTv2 & ERSSTv4 which are +2.79 & +2.59 standard deviations respectively. It is certainly becoming increasingly likely that we'll attain the ONI threshold...

http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/enso/mei/comp.png

To me, the record breaking Niño4 anomaly is probably the most impressive, considering the basinwide nature of this event. The fact that low-middle stagnant freq forcing has been so dateline-oriented is also somewhat unique for a Niño of this amplitude.

• Like 1

To me, the record breaking Niño4 anomaly is probably the most impressive, considering the basinwide nature of this event. The fact that low-middle stagnant freq forcing has been so dateline-oriented is also somewhat unique for a Niño of this amplitude.

Yeah, I've certainly noticed, there have also been substantial low frequency changes in the EP zonal SST gradient that are contributing... The overall forcing & SST distribution in this NINO is certainly more analogous to 1877-78 & 1982-83 than 1997-98. The plethora of TC activity in the east-central deep tropical Atlantic (spurred in large part by a sudden & rather unusual +AMM) spike as well as a year of "preconditioning" wrt to ENSO (i.e. warm neutral-weak NINO up to a year preceding the development of an extraordinary NINO) gives this event some interesting similarities to the 19th century "Super" El Ninos (1877-78 & 1888-89) as opposed to 1982-83 & 1997-98, IMO. The 19th century Super NINOs also provide a stronger analog for solar background (esp. @ inter-multidecadal timescales)...

• Like 2

Yeah, I've certainly noticed, there have also been substantial low frequency changes in the EP zonal SST gradient that are contributing... The overall forcing & SST distribution in this NINO is certainly more analogous to 1877-78 & 1982-83 than 1997-98. The plethora of TC activity in the east-central deep tropical Atlantic (spurred in large part by a sudden & rather unusual +AMM) spike as well as a year of "preconditioning" wrt to ENSO (i.e. warm neutral-weak NINO up to a year preceding the development of an extraordinary NINO) gives this event some interesting similarities to the 19th century "Super" El Ninos (1877-78 & 1888-89) as opposed to 1982-83 & 1997-98, IMO. The 19th century Super NINOs also provide a stronger analog for solar background (esp. @ inter-multidecadal timescales)...

I agree. I'd like better data on the 19th century IO domain, though, considering the strong correlation between low-freq IO forcing and wave coherence in the stratosphere. Certainly it appeared to play a role in preventing what should have been a major SSW/-NAM last January/February through destructive wave interference.

In fact, I'd argue that the IO is the most underrated player in seasonal forecasting today. It influences W/H intensity and spread ratio, hence poleward eddy flux and mass transport imbalance.

• Like 2

I agree. I'd like better data on the 19th century IO domain, though, considering the strong correlation between low-freq IO forcing and wave coherence in the stratosphere. Certainly it appeared to play a role in preventing what should have been a major SSW/-NAM last January/February through destructive wave interference.

In fact, I'd argue that the IO is the most underrated player in seasonal forecasting today. It influences W/H intensity and spread ratio, hence poleward eddy flux and mass transport imbalance.

The IO/E Hem interference has not been nearly as prevalent with the current NINO (relatively speaking), which is likely related to the -AMO being able to isolate the anomalous NINO circulation in the Pacific as opposed to most post 1991-92 NINOs bleeding into the western hemisphere/Africa. I seriously doubt it's just mere coincidence that this abrupt change in NINO upper level configuration coincided with the AMO flip ~1995...

It's been a while since we've seen a classic look like this.

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/compday.C6aQJbka5x.gif

BTW, Kaplan's Extended SSTv2 dataset just updated several hours ago. As expected, (since it's just a lower resolution version of OISSTv2 after 1981), the latest ONI value is precisely in line with OISSTv2, now up to +1.90 C, and JAS was ranked 2nd overall since 1870 behind 1877-78. If the current rate of intensification that we've observed over the past few months holds thru October, we're going to set a new record in this dataset. To be frank, the more datasets I compile together, the more I find it sad how many in the field nor the public don't realize that NOAA's ERSST products are grossly underestimating the intensity of this El Nino. There's a massive difference between an ONI value under +1.5C & +1.90C, the former is no doubt impressive, but the latter is historic & practically unprecedented in the last few centuries...

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Kaplan-Extended-SSTv2-1990-JAS-2015-889x1024.png

• Like 2

The IO/E Hem interference has not been nearly as prevalent with the current NINO (relatively speaking), which is likely related to the -AMO being able to isolate the anomalous NINO circulation in the Pacific as opposed to most post 1991-92 NINOs bleeding into the western hemisphere/Africa. I seriously doubt it's just mere coincidence that this abrupt change in NINO upper level configuration coincided with the AMO flip ~1995...

It's been a while since we've seen a classic look like this.

Agreed re: the more classic forcing/walker configuration this go around. The question is, in my opinion, is there still enough interference present to cause problems w/ the older analogs, considering that the IO subsidence is still relatively weaker now than it was in the 19th century? I suspect this may explain why the Niño/stagnant connective forcing has a wider periphery vs 1997-98 and 1982-83, and why Niño4 has warmed relatively faster over the last 20yrs versus Niño3.

I've also looked at AMO/IO relationship, and I believe it to be another chicken-egg problem? My statistical conclusion is that the IO/PAC appears to lead the AMO by a year or so, at least on the resolution we're looking at. l could be wrong but I'm skeptical that the NATL tail can wag the tropical dog. Do you have any thoughts on this?

BTW, Kaplan's Extended SSTv2 dataset just updated several hours ago. As expected, (since it's just a lower resolution version of OISSTv2 after 1981), the latest ONI value is precisely in line with OISSTv2, now up to +1.90 C, and JAS was ranked 2nd overall since 1870 behind 1877-78. If the current rate of intensification that we've observed over the past few months holds thru October, we're going to set a new record in this dataset. To be frank, the more datasets I compile together, the more I find it sad how many in the field nor the public don't realize that NOAA's ERSST products are grossly underestimating the intensity of this El Nino. There's a massive difference between an ONI value under +1.5C & +1.90C, the former is no doubt impressive, but the latter is historic & practically unprecedented in the last few centuries...

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Kaplan-Extended-SSTv2-1990-JAS-2015-889x1024.png

That's impressive! Where do you think this Niño tops at?

From my perspective, it's dumbfounding to see what ERSST4 has become. There are all sorts of inhomogeneities in that dataset which should be obvious/easy to correct for, both short and long term, in my opinion. It's not my place to make accusations like this, as I don't have the knowledge to do so, but I suspect political pressure is part of the equation.

• Like 2

Compared to previous discussions on this thread, my question may seem irrelevant to the topic, but does anybody know about a correlation with El Ninos and tornadoes the year afterwards? 1997-1998 was the strongest on record. and then 1998 had above average tornadoes. 

Compared to previous discussions on this thread, my question may seem irrelevant to the topic, but does anybody know about a correlation with El Ninos and tornadoes the year afterwards? 1997-1998 was the strongest on record. and then 1998 had above average tornadoes. 

Extremely unlikely.

There does appear to be some correlation with current el ninos having less tornadoes and current la ninas having more. This makes more sense because of the patterns that these types of oscillations force. The atmosphere is non-linear, which in essence means that you can rarely say stuff like what you said above, it just doesn't work out that often.

In the case of 1998 el nino was dying and a la nina was rapidly forming so that would fall in line with what I said above.

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

• 2 weeks later...

Nino 3.4 is up just above +2.5C currently, which is where the models generally see this thing peaking.  CPC says 25% chance we are into a Nina by June.

I think the chances are at least that high. The anomalous high pressure over Australia which has gone hand in hand with this Nino just gave out a few days ago. The models say the pressure will continue much lower there for the foreseeable future. SOI readings over the past week have already shown a significant rise although still negative. There's a reasonable chance this Nino will collapse earlier in the season than the 1982 and 1997 events.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I think the chances are at least that high. The anomalous high pressure over Australia which has gone hand in hand with this Nino just gave out a few days ago. The models say the pressure will continue much lower there for the foreseeable future. SOI readings over the past week have already shown a significant rise although still negative. There's a reasonable chance this Nino will collapse earlier in the season than the 1982 and 1997 events.

This is nothing more than an intraseasonal forcing burp, sort of like the Nov 2002/2009 excursions. No surprise to see it considering the warm(ing) in the IO domain, but the fact that this is projecting so strongly in the VP200 anoms may be signaling an overall degradation of the coupled Niño/+AAM.

Whether or not this is a true MJO is debatable, but eventually, this intraseasonal wave (whatever it is) will progress east, as depicted by the VP anomalies, back into alignment w/ ENSO inertia.

Sample size problems this year in terms of analogs...1997-98 is a poor match in terms of forcing/WC longitude, 1991-92 and 1982-83 are both contaminated by volcanism and high solar...the 1987-88 Niño imploded in November after destructive inter seasonal forcing kicked the WC into gear, 1972-73 is contaminated by an unreprestative W/H ratio/low AAM integral, and 1957-58 is ancient and contaminated w/ high solar despite being the best QBO match outside 1987-88. Can't effectively use 2006-07 or 2002-03 either.

Sample size problems this year in terms of analogs...1997-98 is a poor match in terms of forcing/WC longitude, 1991-92 and 1982-83 are both contaminated by volcanism and high solar...the 1987-88 Niño imploded in November after destructive inter seasonal forcing kicked the WC into gear, 1972-73 is contaminated by an unreprestative W/H ratio/low AAM integral, and 1957-58 is ancient and contaminated w/ high solar despite being the best QBO match outside 1987-88. Can't effectively use 2006-07 or 2002-03 either.

Are there any years that do match ? 65-66?

Are there any years that do match ? 65-66?

There are many Niño/+QBO analogs, however all are unique and have problems.

Unfortunately, 1965-66 is not a good antecedent stratospheric match, which is important considering the midwinter strat/HT response to niño forcing determines a good portion of the late winter pattern in said +ENSO years.

I posted my thoughts on the winter in the climate/LR forum, if anyone is interested: http://theweatherforums.com/index.php/topic/978-winter-forecast/?do=findComment&comment=87077

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed re: the more classic forcing/walker configuration this go around. The question is, in my opinion, is there still enough interference present to cause problems w/ the older analogs, considering that the IO subsidence is still relatively weaker now than it was in the 19th century? I suspect this may explain why the Niño/stagnant connective forcing has a wider periphery vs 1997-98 and 1982-83, and why Niño4 has warmed relatively faster over the last 20yrs versus Niño3.

I've also looked at AMO/IO relationship, and I believe it to be another chicken-egg problem? My statistical conclusion is that the IO/PAC appears to lead the AMO by a year or so, at least on the resolution we're looking at. l could be wrong but I'm skeptical that the NATL tail can wag the tropical dog. Do you have any thoughts on this?

That's impressive! Where do you think this Niño tops at?

From my perspective, it's dumbfounding to see what ERSST4 has become. There are all sorts of inhomogeneities in that dataset which should be obvious/easy to correct for, both short and long term, in my opinion. It's not my place to make accusations like this, as I don't have the knowledge to do so, but I suspect political pressure is part of the equation.

The ENSO wave behavior seems more reminiscent to the 1877-78 & 1888-89 Super events, with one year of +ENSO preconditioning (which doesn't seem to be a function of random noise) & intensification through the solstice, that apart from perhaps 1986-88, is practically unheard of in the modern era and I'm also impressed by the 1876-78 N Pac/TP SST progression. In general, the IO interference likely halted what would have been a one & done moderate El NINO and lead to the 19th century-esque response and it certainly has to be taken into consideration for constructing analog packages. Rao & Ren (Aug 2015) had some interesting ideas wrt IO interference w/ ENSO's modulation of the NAM. The multitdecadal cooling of the northern vortex in concert w/ warming IO, despite the increase in CP NINO frequency & +AMO is certainly interesting...  http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00382-015-2797-5 We probably won't buck this trend this year with a westerly QBO well beyond solar max, in fact no MMWs have occurred in +QBO w/ solar flux this low, much less @ the current phase in the solar cycle. As Sam Lillo notes, the QBO-NAM-Solar relationship is strongest during low solar-E QBO winters and as we descend towards solar cycle 25, any passing NINO timed w/ -QBO in concert with the particularly low solar background, will provide an unusual opportunity to capitalize in a big way on northern blocking.... 

Photo credit to Sam Lillo

CS7JLRxWoAAhjYj.png

BTW, I finally finished calculating my ensemble Oceanic Nino Index thru the end of the 19th century. This index follows the methodology of the Climate Prediction Center & Kousy/Higgins (2007) & is based on the NINO 3.4 region SST data merged from 8 SST datasets (COBE SST2, ERSSTv4, NOAA CIRES 20th Century Reanalysis Version 2c, Kaplan's Extended SSTv2, HADISST, NOAA's 20th Century Reanalysis Version 2, ERSSTv3b, & COBE SST). I lowered the criterion for ENSO events to +/-0.45C due to rounding errors that are prevalent in NOAA's ERSSTv4 data when ONI values are presented to the nearest tenth & for better detection of ENSO events. This index is remarkably smooth given the vast uncertainties & noise that exist within this portion of the historical record & the individual SST datasets. I was able to pick up on two more El Nino events before 1870 and I hope to have this entire 150+ year index running in real-time early next year. I also have plans to add HADISST2 to this portion of the record & eventually expand upon the NINO 3.4 data by adding adding a SLP component & an additional SST component.

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Ensemble-Combined-ONI-1865-1900-669x1024.png

The ENSO wave behavior seems more reminiscent to the 1877-78 & 1888-89 Super events, with one year of +ENSO preconditioning (which doesn't seem to be a function of random noise) & intensification through the solstice, that apart from perhaps 1986-88, is practically unheard of in the modern era and I'm also impressed by the 1876-78 N Pac/TP SST progression. In general, the IO interference likely halted what would have been a one & done moderate El NINO and lead to the 19th century-esque response and it certainly has to be taken into consideration for constructing analog packages. Rao & Ren (Aug 2015) had some interesting ideas wrt IO interference w/ ENSO's modulation of the NAM. The multitdecadal cooling of the northern vortex in concert w/ warming IO, despite the increase in CP NINO frequency & +AMO is certainly interesting... http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00382-015-2797-5 We probably won't buck this trend this year with a westerly QBO well beyond solar max, in fact no MMWs have occurred in +QBO w/ solar flux this low, much less @ the current phase in the solar cycle. As Sam Lillo notes, the QBO-NAM-Solar relationship is strongest during low solar-E QBO winters and as we descend towards solar cycle 25, any passing NINO timed w/ -QBO in concert with the particularly low solar background, will provide an unusual opportunity to capitalize in a big way on northern blocking....

Have yet to read Rao/Ren '15 so I'm a bit behind the power curve but generally agree w/ you on the implications of warming IO/Indonesian waters. Slight alterations to mass flux/TWs can have major implications on wave propagation, structure, domain, absorption/ease, and frequency. For example, the relative absence of CWs over the last 10-15yrs can be partially blamed on the warming IO/WPAC.

Regarding the strat/solar data, I'd consider the 2006-07 event (+QBO/-Solar/Niño) to be a MWW, perhaps one of the most impressive events in terms of vertical wave structure, though timing of QBO wave isn't a perfect match. It's not like we have a solid sample size of high-amplitude +QBOs in low solar regimes, let alone in tandem w/ a raging Niño (+ENSO favors late winter impingement).

Furthermore, we've observed significant strengthening in the antecedent Brewer-Dobson Circulation/O^3 fluxes over the last 10-15 years in response to declining solar activity and reduced concentration of anthropogenic CFCs. A lot of the statistically solid tendencies of the 80s/90s are no longer set in stone, and I suspect that will continue to be the case going forward.

BTW, I finally finished calculating my ensemble Oceanic Nino Index thru the end of the 19th century. This index follows the methodology of the Climate Prediction Center & Kousy/Higgins (2007) & is based on the NINO 3.4 region SST data merged from 8 SST datasets (COBE SST2, ERSSTv4, NOAA CIRES 20th Century Reanalysis Version 2c, Kaplan's Extended SSTv2, HADISST, NOAA's 20th Century Reanalysis Version 2, ERSSTv3b, & COBE SST). I lowered the criterion for ENSO events to +/-0.45C due to rounding errors that are prevalent in NOAA's ERSSTv4 data when ONI values are presented to the nearest tenth & for better detection of ENSO events. This index is remarkably smooth given the vast uncertainties & noise that exist within this portion of the historical record & the individual SST datasets. I was able to pick up on two more El Nino events before 1870 and I hope to have this entire 150+ year index running in real-time early next year. I also have plans to add HADISST2 to this portion of the record & eventually expand upon the NINO 3.4 data by adding adding a SLP component & an additional SST component.

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Ensemble-Combined-ONI-1865-1900-669x1024.png

This is fantastic! Thank you for all the work you've put into it, and I look forward to any further analysis you can do. Should make analoging much easier when in regards to ENSO.

Have yet to read Rao/Ren '15 so I'm a bit behind the power curve but generally agree w/ you on the implications of warming IO/Indonesian waters. Slight alterations to mass flux/TWs can have major implications on wave propagation, structure, domain, absorption/ease, and frequency. For example, the relative absence of CWs over the last 10-15yrs can be partially blamed on the warming IO/WPAC.

Regarding the strat/solar data, I'd consider the 2006-07 event (+QBO/-Solar/Niño) to be a MWW, perhaps one of the most impressive events in terms of vertical wave structure, though timing of QBO wave isn't a perfect match. It's not like we have a solid sample size of high-amplitude +QBOs in low solar regimes, let alone in tandem w/ a raging Niño (+ENSO favors late winter impingement).

Furthermore, we've observed significant strengthening in the antecedent Brewer-Dobson Circulation/O^3 fluxes over the last 10-15 years in response to declining solar activity and reduced concentration of anthropogenic CFCs. A lot of the statistically solid tendencies of the 80s/90s are no longer set in stone, and I suspect that will continue to be the case going forward.

This is fantastic! Thank you for all the work you've put into it, and I look forward to any further analysis you can do. Should make analoging much easier when in regards to ENSO.

Interestingly, according to the 20th Century Reanalysis & post 1950 operational data, we actually tend to observe a higher NAM & NAO with strong El Ninos. I think this likely has to do with the southeastward shift of the Aleutian Low for (also supported by the Aleutian Low-Icelandic Vortex "Seesaw relation"). The overall increasing + trend in response to bigger NINOs for both the AO/NAO is the same for the reanalysis & post 1950 era data, which is amazing considering the latter group of strong events was riddled by volcanic winters (1991-92 & 1982-83), the AO is negatively shifted vs NAO (shocker) /sarc. In spite of the ridiculously small sample size, the removal of these 2 events from the post 1950 era strong group would still leave an increasing trend in the NAM b/t all and Strong El Ninos. The canonical mid-winter stratospheric NINO pathway actually seems to be more evident with the addition of the early 20th & mid-late 19th century El Ninos, and even with the removal of the 2009-10 outlier when stratifying for strong events, the -AO/NAO persistence into February remains...

El Ninos (1865-2010) (n=43)

Mean NAO

DJF: -0.05

Dec: +0.25

Jan: -0.32

Feb: -0.08

Strong El Ninos (1865-2010) (n=13)

Mean NAO

DJF: +0.40

Dec: +0.87

Jan: -0.24

Feb: +0.56

Mean AO

DJF: -0.62

Dec: -0.02

Jan: -0.98

Feb: -0.87

Mean AO

DJF: -0.29

Dec: +0.32

Jan: -0.84

Feb: -0.36

El Ninos (1950-2010) (n=21)

Mean NAO

DJF: -0.16

Dec: -0.05

Jan: -0.22

Feb: -0.20

Strong El Ninos (1950-2010) (n=7)

Mean NAO

DJF: +0.48

Dec: +0.72

Jan: +0.48

Feb: +0.23

Mean AO

DJF: -0.51

Dec: +0.13

Jan: -0.82

Feb: -0.84

Mean AO

Dec: +0.77

Jan: -0.44

Feb: -0.46

As far as the ongoing El Nino is concerned, here are the Kaplan's Extended SST Version 2 (LDEO) Oceanic Nino Index ASO Rankings (1870-Present). The latest ONI value ( 2.11C) officially set a new record high in this dataset, beating out both 1877-78 & 1997-98. This is also the 13th highest value that's ever been recorded for any tri-monthly period in Kaplan's Extended SSTv2, with only the 1877-78, 1982-83, & 1997-98 "Super" El Ninos registering higher in the ONI, & given that the NINO 3.4 SSTs still haven't peaked yet, we're liable to move up further in the rankings &/or break a record in the next update or two.

Top 20 ONI Values Kaplan Extended SSTv2 (1870-present)

NDJ 1997 2.43

DJF 1983 2.42

NDJ 1982 2.39

OND 1997 2.36

DJF 1998 2.35

DJF 1878 2.24

NDJ 1877 2.23

SON 1997 2.23

OND 1982 2.17

OND 1877 2.15

JFM 1983 2.15

SON 1877 2.12

ASO 2015 2.11

JFM 1878 2.10

JFM 1998 2.07

ASO 1877 2.05

ASO 1997 2.05

OND 1972 2.04

NDJ 1888 2.03

JAS 1877 1.96

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Kaplans-Extended-SSTv2-ASO-ONI-Rankings-1870-2015-1024x928.png

The COBE SST, OISSTv2, & CDAS1 (daily CDAS 1 data is available @ tropicaltidbits.com) datasets were a bit more aggressive, while ERSSTv4 & v3b remain lost (as usual) w/ ASO ONI values in those datasets coming in @ +1.70C & +1.78C respectively

OISSTv2 ONI (2000-present)

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/OISSTv2-ONI-2000-ASO-2015-1024x728.png

COBE SST ONI (1990-present)

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/COBE-SST-ONI-1990-ASO-2015-928x1024.png

CDAS 1 ONI (1990-Present)

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/CDAS-1-ONI-1990-ASO-2015-892x1024.png

For the 2nd month in a row, the tri-monthly averaged BEST Index set a new record high. (*Note*: As a reminder, I have adjusted the original data with a 30-year sliding base period to attempt to remove the inherent warming signal in this index).

The tri-monthly BEST index not only set a monthly record, but a new all-time record high value was recorded this past ASO. In fact the last 2 tri-monthly values have registered in the top 5 overall. Wow. The utter domination by the 1877-78, 1982-83, & 1997-98 Super NINOs is evident in the top 20 tri-monthly BEST Index rankings...

Top 20 (adjusted) Tri-Monthly BEST Index Values

ASO 2015 2.616

JFM 1983 2.595

DJF 1983 2.549

NDJ 1982 2.476

JAS 2015 2.454

JFM 1998 2.397

OND 1982 2.281

DJF 1878 2.236

DJF 1998 2.216

SON 1982 2.214

AMJ 1877 2.182

FMA 1983 2.172

JFM 1878 2.157

ASO 1997 2.156

NDJ 1997 2.067

MJJ 1877 2.061

SON 1877 2.050

JAS 1997 2.044

JJA 1877 2.023

FMA 1878 2.016

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Tri-Monthly-Adjusted-BEST-Index-1870-ASO-2015-1024x764.png

Interestingly, according to the 20th Century Reanalysis & post 1950 operational data, we actually tend to observe a higher NAM & NAO with strong El Ninos. I think this likely has to do with the southeastward shift of the Aleutian Low for (also supported by the Aleutian. The overall increasing + trend in response to bigger NINOs for both the AO/NAO is the same for the reanalysis & post 1950 era data, which is amazing considering the latter group of strong events was riddled by volcanic winters (1991-92 & 1982-83), the AO is negatively shifted vs NAO (shocker) /sarc. In spite of the ridiculously small sample size, the removal of these 2 events from the post 1950 era strong group would still leave an increasing trend in the NAM b/t all and Strong El Ninos. The canonical mid-winter stratospheric NINO pathway actually seems to be more evident with the addition of the early 20th & mid-late 19th century El Ninos, and even with the removal of the 2009-10 outlier when stratifying for strong events, the -AO/NAO persistence into February remains...

Mean NAO

Dec: +0.25

Jan: -0.32

Feb: -0.08

Mean NAO

DJF: +0.40

Dec: +0.87

Jan: -0.24

Feb: +0.56

Mean AO

DJF: -0.62

Dec: -0.02

Jan: -0.98

Feb: -0.87

Mean AO

DJF: -0.29

Dec: +0.32

Jan: -0.84

Feb: -0.36

Mean NAO

DJF: -0.16

Dec: -0.05

Jan: -0.22

Feb: -0.20

Mean NAO

DJF: +0.48

Dec: +0.72

Jan: +0.48

Feb: +0.23

Mean AO

DJF: -0.51

Dec: +0.13

Jan: -0.82

Feb: -0.84

Mean AO

Dec: +0.77

Jan: -0.44

Feb: -0.46

As far as the ongoing El Nino is concerned, here are the Kaplan's Extended SST Version 2 (LDEO) Oceanic Nino Index ASO Rankings (1870-Present). The latest ONI value ( 2.11C) officially set a new record high in this dataset, beating out both 1877-78 & 1997-98. This is also the 13th highest value that's ever been recorded for any tri-monthly period in Kaplan's Extended SSTv2, with only the 1877-78, 1982-83, & 1997-98 "Super" El Ninos registering higher in the ONI, & given that the NINO 3.4 SSTs still haven't peaked yet, we're liable to move up further in the rankings &/or break a record in the next update or two.

Top 20 ONI Values Kaplan Extended SSTv2 (1870-present)

NDJ 1997 2.43

DJF 1983 2.42

NDJ 1982 2.39

OND 1997 2.36

DJF 1998 2.35

DJF 1878 2.24

NDJ 1877 2.23

SON 1997 2.23

OND 1982 2.17

OND 1877 2.15

JFM 1983 2.15

SON 1877 2.12

ASO 2015 2.11

JFM 1878 2.10

JFM 1998 2.07

ASO 1877 2.05

ASO 1997 2.05

OND 1972 2.04

NDJ 1888 2.03

JAS 1877 1.96

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Kaplans-Extended-SSTv2-ASO-ONI-Rankings-1870-2015-1024x928.png

The COBE SST, OISSTv2, & CDAS1 (daily CDAS 1 data is available @ tropicaltidbits.com) datasets were a bit more aggressive, while ERSSTv4 & v3b remain lost (as usual) w/ ASO ONI values in those datasets coming in @ +1.70C & +1.78C respectively

OISSTv2 ONI (2000-present)

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/OISSTv2-ONI-2000-ASO-2015-1024x728.png

COBE SST ONI (1990-present)

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/COBE-SST-ONI-1990-ASO-2015-928x1024.png

CDAS 1 ONI (1990-Present)

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/CDAS-1-ONI-1990-ASO-2015-892x1024.png

For the 2nd month in a row, the tri-monthly averaged BEST Index set a new record high. (*Note*: As a reminder, I have adjusted the original data with a 30-year sliding base period to attempt to remove the inherent warming signal in this index).

The tri-monthly BEST index not only set a monthly record, but a new all-time record high value was recorded this past ASO. In fact the last 2 tri-monthly values have registered in the top 5 overall. Wow. The utter domination by the 1877-78, 1982-83, & 1997-98 Super NINOs is evident in the top 20 tri-monthly BEST Index rankings...

Top 20 (adjusted) Tri-Monthly BEST Index Values

ASO 2015 2.616

JFM 1983 2.595

DJF 1983 2.549

NDJ 1982 2.476

JAS 2015 2.454

JFM 1998 2.397

OND 1982 2.281

DJF 1878 2.236

DJF 1998 2.216

SON 1982 2.214

AMJ 1877 2.182

FMA 1983 2.172

JFM 1878 2.157

ASO 1997 2.156

NDJ 1997 2.067

MJJ 1877 2.061

SON 1877 2.050

JAS 1997 2.044

JJA 1877 2.023

FMA 1878 2.016

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Tri-Monthly-Adjusted-BEST-Index-1870-ASO-2015-1024x764.png

Interesting analysis. From what I know, the observed (long term) shift in the Walker/Hadley ratio(s) favors a trend towards a +NAM during the early portion of the winter in +ENSO (poleward AAM transport during the strengthening period of the vortex favors enhanced coupling). However, I suspect this should not hold true after mid January or so?

I think once you adjust for solar and the other underlying dynamics in the stratosphere, you'll find that the trend towards a +NAM is actually centered during the early portion of the winter.

Also, man, your ability to dive into these SST reconstructions fascinates me. I wish I had the patience you do. I honestly think you're going to be one of the greatest meteorologists in the field, assuming you choose to go that route. Hopefully you stick around to educate us. ;)

Interesting analysis. From what I know, the observed (long term) shift in the Walker/Hadley ratio(s) favors a trend towards a +NAM during the early portion of the winter in +ENSO (poleward AAM transport during the strengthening period of the vortex favors enhanced coupling). However, I suspect this should not hold true after mid January or so?

I think once you adjust for solar and the other underlying dynamics in the stratosphere, you'll find that the trend towards a +NAM is actually centered during the early portion of the winter.

Also, man, your ability to dive into these SST reconstructions fascinates me. I wish I had the patience you do. I honestly think you're going to be one of the greatest meteorologists in the field, assuming you choose to go that route. Hopefully you stick around to educate us. ;)

Yep, it's clear across all timescales that the NAM is positive generally centered around December, with a classic top down response leading to disruption in January. All I'm saying is that the state of the NAM as a whole is generally more positive during Strong-Super El Nino events, even when you exclude the obvious masking of the true signal by volcanic eruptions. I think the large El Ninos helping to induce a very extensive/strong Pacific jet thus leading to an extreme southeastward progression of the Aleutian Low has a lot to do with this by shifting the epicenter of EP flux and RW upwelling away from the Bering Sea/Aleutian Islands, which was determined by Garfinkel et al to be the tropospheric precursor to SSWEs... There are also intriguing seesaw relationships between the Aleutian & Icelandic Vortices that allow for large El Ninos to be more conducive to maintaining a +NAO/AO... The most interesting take away from all of this is the weaker NAM leaking into in February in the modern era, most of the pre 1950 events featured the classical mid-winter response but backed off later on.

Thanks BTW for the kind words. :)

• Like 1

As far as ENSO region 3.4 goes, the peak is here or very near. Should start seeing a sharp decline in the coming weeks.

post-14-0-81597500-1447707688.gif

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Al Mariano has created a new Tropical-Northern Hemisphere (TNH) index which utilizes the CPC's methodology, however uses the spatial patterns of 500mb geopotential height anomalies instead of subtracting from boxes & is available over all calendar months instead of DJF. This is really cool. http://www.wxmidwest.com/tnh/

• Like 1

Yep, it's clear across all timescales that the NAM is positive generally centered around December, with a classic top down response leading to disruption in January. All I'm saying is that the state of the NAM as a whole is generally more positive during Strong-Super El Nino events, even when you exclude the obvious masking of the true signal by volcanic eruptions. I think the large El Ninos helping to induce a very extensive/strong Pacific jet thus leading to an extreme southeastward progression of the Aleutian Low has a lot to do with this by shifting the epicenter of EP flux and RW upwelling away from the Bering Sea/Aleutian Islands, which was determined by Garfinkel et al to be the tropospheric precursor to SSWEs... There are also intriguing seesaw relationships between the Aleutian & Icelandic Vortices that allow for large El Ninos to be more conducive to maintaining a +NAO/AO... The most interesting take away from all of this is the weaker NAM leaking into in February in the modern era, most of the pre 1950 events featured the classical mid-winter response but backed off later on.

Thanks BTW for the kind words. :)

Agreed that prolific Niños make it more difficult for a properly aligned NPAC wave conduit, which is what you want for an abrupt wave-2/dual wave type resonance (which is what would be in reference here). I'd favor a more gradual, wave-1 type resonance in a year like this, favoring a more gradual NAM decline through January. On the other hand, we might just go nuclear under constructive interference, like we did in 2006-07. I'm definitely a fan of the expansive nature of the vortex this year.

As for the apparent +NAM tendency in prolific Niños, I suspect a lot of what you're observing (beyond the 11/15-1/15 timeframe) is due to other factors, at least in the events that have occurred since 1950. When analyzing the NAM in the years of 1957-58, 1972-73, 1982-83, 1987-88, and 1997-98, the observed behaviors in each case, while obviously ENSO-influenced, were significantly altered by a number interfering forcings, all of which happened to favor a more +NAM than would otherwise have been the case. Hopefully, we can turn this year into a learning experience, when it comes to strong El Niños and seasonal pattern progression.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I don't understand why the observed (long term) broadening/poleward propagation of the Hadley Cells mystifies so many people. It has been ongoing since the 1970s, and has accelerated significantly since 1998. It also tells us a lot about our climate system, and the nature of the climate change.

Despite all the available data, so many scientists choose to ignore the facts in favor of ignorant and/or biased predispositions.

• Like 1

Is there an index that captures that?  I just can't visualize the mechanism that is driving it.  If there is no index could you create one?:

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Is there an index that captures that? I just can't visualize the mechanism that is driving it. If there is no index could you create one?:

You can look at .2101 sigma streamfunction polarity, omegas, absolute VP200, AAM, or just about anything else involving momentum on the NOAA ESRL site to interpret the nature of the Hadley Cells. As a matter of fact, the 700mb omega depiction in Chris's quote/post above demonstrates the poleward migration in the cells since the 1983/1998 Niños.

As for what's driving these changes, it's likely a combination of factors. There is a substantial amount peer reviewed literature on the topic now, most of which pinpoints the cause to multiple (long term) changes to the causative thermal gradients in the upper troposphere & stratosphere, set off via changes in solar/geomagnetic forcing on chemistry and microphysical processes in cloud formation, a strengthening BDC/O^3 machine, additional CO^2/H^2O in the upper troposphere, and long term inertial/feedback responses, internal to the system, in response to the aforementioned climate change forcings.

• Like 1

You can look at .2101 sigma streamfunction polarity, omegas, absolute VP200, AAM, or just about anything else involving momentum on the NOAA ESRL site to interpret the nature of the Hadley Cells. As a matter of fact, the 700mb omega depiction in Chris's quote/post above demonstrates the poleward migration in the cells since the 1983/1998 Niños.

As for what's driving these changes, it's likely a combination of factors. There is a substantial amount peer reviewed literature on the topic now, most of which pinpoints the cause to multiple (long term) changes to the causative thermal gradients in the upper troposphere & stratosphere, set off via changes in solar/geomagnetic forcing on chemistry and microphysical processes in cloud formation, a strengthening BDC/O^3 machine, additional CO^2/H^2O in the upper troposphere, and long term inertial/feedback responses, internal to the system, in response to the aforementioned climate change forcings.

Do you think the upcoming major solar minimum will offset this?  I hope this is one of those cases where the northward migration has been gradual, but a return to "normal" will be very sudden.  I have seen other atmospheric features that have done that.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

A Hadley cell index is a great idea.  It would definitely simplify it for novices like me. 

Yeah...I have actually made some of my own indices for placement of anomalies over the NE Pacific.  It helps to see what is really going on.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I don't understand why the observed (long term) broadening/poleward propagation of the Hadley Cells mystifies so many people. It has been ongoing since the 1970s, and has accelerated significantly since 1998. It also tells us a lot about our climate system, and the nature of the climate change.

Despite all the available data, so many scientists choose to ignore the facts in favor of ignorant and/or biased predispositions.

I don't think it is discussed very much except on some weather forums. You are the first one I have seen that has mentioned the Hadley Cells expanding poleward. Only very recently have I seen or heard this concept mentioned elsewhere, and that has only been during the last week or two.

• 1 month later...

I was finally able to compile a preliminary analysis on the Oceanic NINO Index going back to 1865 by utilizing 26 SST, Reanalysis, & Satellite datasets with some initial quality control (particularly from 1891-1950). I anticipate several revisions and additions to this index over the coming months and years...

Overall, an appreciable warming signal in the tropical Pacific since the mid-late 19th century is particularly evident, especially in the NINO 3.4 region, where the 26 dataset mean indicates a linear warming rate of approximately 0.2C per century in the 30-year sliding base periods that are used to calculate the Oceanic Nino Index (ONI), whereas since World War II the rate of warming has approximately tripled to 0.6C per century...

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/ENS-ONI-NINO-3.4-Region-30-year-Moving-Base-Period-SSTs.jpg

According to this index, the 2015-16 El Nino was the strongest NINO on record w/ a maximum ONI value of +2.56C in NDJ and it was in "Super" NINO (Hansen 2006) territory for several months, with the ranking data suggesting that the incumbent El Nino was already a super event as early as last June (Super NINOs, as noted in the subsequent text files, were defined as ENSO events which exceeded the upper half of the 1st decile (i.e. >/= 95th percentile or approximately equating to the top 5 highest and lowest ENSO rankings)).

The ENS-ONI index reached its 2nd highest value on record for DJF this past month, only eclipsed by the 1877-78 Super NINO. 

ENS-ONI Tri-Monthly Rankings (1991-Present).
Maroon=Super El Nino
Red=Strong El Nino
Orange=Moderate El Nino
Yellow-Orange= Weak El Nino
Plain Text=Neutral ENSO
Very Light Blue=Weak La Nina
Light Blue=Moderate La Nina
Blue=Strong La Nina
Dark Blue=Super La Nina

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Standardized-CPC-ENS-ONI-Rankings-1991-Present-775x1024.png

However, if one accounts for not only the obvious uncertainties in the SST data, but the modern warming rate of the NINO 3.4 region, 1877-78 & 1997-98 super NINOs may eventually reclaim the top spots once the new 30-year sliding base periods become available.

Here are the raw, standardized, & ranking files to the ENS-ONI

Raw: http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Ensemble-Oceanic-NINO-Index-ENS-ONI-Raw-Data-1865-Present-4.txt

Standardized http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Ensemble-Oceanic-NINO-Index-ENS-ONI-Standardized-Data-1865-Present-1.txt

Rankings http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Ensemble-Oceanic-NINO-Index-ENS-ONI-Rankings-1865-Present.txt

Standardized ENS ONI Timeseries

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Standardized-Ensemble-Oceanic-NINO-Index-ENS-ONI-1865-DJF-2016-Time-Series-1024x560.png

• Like 1

What is the particular surface-satellite aggregation used to determine the long term trend in the Niño 3.4 region? I ask this because since 1979, neither NOAA-STAR, RSS, or the UAH interpolations for the tropical Pacific depict much (if any) warming over the tropical pacific or Niño 3.4 region since the beginning of the satellite era.

Personally, I'm weary of using surface-based datasets to gauge SSTs (on an exact basis) before the ARGO-era.

• Like 1

What is the particular surface-satellite aggregation used to determine the long term trend in the Niño 3.4 region? I ask this because since 1979, neither NOAA-STAR, RSS, or the UAH interpolations for the tropical Pacific depict much (if any) warming over the tropical pacific or Niño 3.4 region since the beginning of the satellite era.

Personally, I'm weary of using surface-based datasets to gauge SSTs (on an exact basis) before the ARGO-era.

All of the datasets & their time ranges were provided in the text files, the satellite only and surface data are apples-oranges, the satellite data has egregious errors and inhomogeneities in comparison to the surface datasets and measures lower tropospheric temperatures (w/ yet another major upward adjustment being noted in UAH data) and requires more appreciable adjustments as a whole, while the majority of the available of reconstructions (including COBE SST2, ERSSTv4, ERSSTv3b, COBE SST (except for HADISST & Kaplan, although the UKMO notes a prominent discontinuity in their dataset around the international dateline starting in 1982 (when satellite data was being introduced in earnest & Kaplan's extended SSTv2 still utilizes a dual SST-interface, using the now defunct (Met Office Historical Sea Surface Temperature Version 5 (MOHSSTv5)) for its analysis until of the start of the satellite era)) depict a fairly robust warming trend in the NINO 3.4 region, hence why NOAA tossed their old methodology of utilizing only the 1971-2000 base period for calculating the ONI. Even if you were to completely ignore the warming trend in the NINO 3.4 region (w/ the 1976-2005 30-yr base period generally being depicted as the warmest base period in the entire record across most datasets, (hence the satellite & buoy data are likely not reporting a warming trend because they're initializing in the warmest portion of the historical record), the 30-year climatological sliding base periods make the observational background more relevant, I also considered using different base period lengths, but performing a wavelet analysis was beyond the scope of my project, at least for now anyways...

• 1 month later...

I just updated my ENS-ONI index thru FMA. I made a few quality control adjustments to the original product, I most recently extended & reevaluated COBE SST2 data & due to the larger number of available observations, available datasets, & data sources, I tightened the QC in the satellite era, which slightly amplified this index & the peaks of most ENSO events relative to its predecessor, including the incumbent Super El NINO. I plan to continue to make improvements to the ENS-ONI, such as including more high resolution datasets, HADISST2, and incorporating the Southern Oscillation i.e. Sea Level Pressure (thus creating a multivariate index), etc.). FMA 2016 observed one of the highest ONI values on record, 2nd only to the 1877-78 Super El Nino. We're likely to be in moderate territory in MAM & persistence + analogs argue for neutral ENSO to return in MJJ & a NINA in JAS-ASO...

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Ensemble-Oceanic-NINO-Index-ENS-ONI-Raw-Data-1865-2016.txt

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/Screen-Shot-2016-05-10-at-3.55.53-PM-1024x633.png

• Like 2

Thanks for the great work, Eric. Your reanalyses have really helped me with the relativistic analoging I do.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

ICMYI, I recently have reanalyzed and made several improvements to Klaus Wolter's Multivariate ENSO Index (MEI) & have updated my ENS-ONI... The implementation of detrended PCs based on more data than the original MEI and 30-year sliding base periods for each PC led to the most significant changes wrt this version of the MEI & the original. Most notably, the gap between the 1982-83 & 1997-98 Super NINOs widened, and the 2010-11 NINA surpassed 1955-56 as the strongest event in the modern era, and given the dearth of robust NINAs in the mid 20th century (1920s-1940s), 2010-11 may also be the strongest NINA in nearly a century (or more) with 1916-17 being the nearest potential rival before 1955-56.

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Ensemble-Oceanic-NINO-Index-ENS-ONI-Raw-Data-1865-2016-2.txt

I would definitely like to apply some of these adjustments (& a few additional ones to account for poor observations (& a lack thereof)) into a revised Extended Multivariate ENSO Index (MEI.ext)

My revised MEI time series w/ NCEI/NCAR Reanalysis

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Screen-Shot-2016-07-16-at-2.38.26-PM-1024x560.png

Raw NCEI/NCAR Reanalysis MEI data

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/NCEINCAR-Multivariate-ENSO-Index-MEI-Raw-Data-1948-Present.txt

Original MEI http://www.esrl.noaa.gov/psd/enso/mei/ w/ IOCADSv2.5

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Screen-Shot-2016-07-11-at-10.47.49-AM-1024x344.png

December-January loading fields for the (detrended) leading mode of variability (1st PC) for Sea Surface Temperature (SST) & Sea Level Pressure (SLP) in the Tropical Pacific (1950-2015)

SLP

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Screen-Shot-2016-07-16-at-10.10.50-PM-1024x412.png

SST (Skin temperature in NCEI/NCAR R1)

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Screen-Shot-2016-07-16-at-10.24.46-PM-1024x477.png

BTW, I strongly encourage any comments, questions, concerns, or potential avenues of improvement regarding the MEI's construction, because I may find those extremely helpful in my upcoming revision of the Extended MEI (MEI.ext)...

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Just finished updating my ENS ONI index which I've been running in real-time for almost a year now. I made several improvements and corrections to the index in this monthly update to increase the reliability, quality, and confidence of the data. The most significant changes were the institution of a confidence interval to sift for potentially spurious data, addition of relatively new, high-quality ECMWF Reanalysis 20th Century & 20th Century model (ERA-20C, ERA-20CM) datasets (1900-2010), and removal of buoy data (ARGO & TAO), and UKMO GHRSST OSTIA & OISSTv2 (1/4th degree datasets). The buoy data was found to have a very large warm bias as compared to all other datasets, and OISTIA & high res OISSTv2 have very different resolutions against the other datasets, and their addition to the ENS ONI likely was causing some artificial dampening of the index in the satellite era.

2016-17 is very likely going to be recognized as a weak La Nina in this index, while new ENSO events were resolved in 1867-68 (weak El Nino) & 1906-07 (weak La Nina)

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Ensemble-ONI-1865-Dec-2016-Time-series.png

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Ensemble-Oceanic-NINO-Index-ENS-ONI-Raw-Data-1865-2017.txt

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I just finished writing a blog up on the current status/predicted evolution of the El Nino in the tropical Pacific.

The abstract: Nino 1+2 are experiencing El Nino-like warmth, but this warmth has not spread to Nino 3.4 yet, and the Walker Circulation is actually more representative of what we'd expect during a La Nina, with enhanced convection over the Western Pacific. Dynamical models are in surprisingly good agreement that a weak El Nino will develop in the summer, but statistical models are not sold on the idea (they generally have a tougher time with the spring predictability barrier though).

http://charlie.weathertogether.us/2017/04/18/could-el-nino-return-this-summer/ 

I'm very bullish for a moderate or strong El Niño in 2019/20.

The low-solar wind Niño is perhaps the most consistent climatic response in existence except for the QBO. It's been a stable feature following the previous five solar wind minima (2009/10, 1997/98, 1986/87, 1976/77, 1965/66).

• Like 1

Just finished updating my ENS ONI index which I've been running in real-time for almost a year now. I made several improvements and corrections to the index in this monthly update to increase the reliability, quality, and confidence of the data. The most significant changes were the institution of a confidence interval to sift for potentially spurious data, addition of relatively new, high-quality ECMWF Reanalysis 20th Century & 20th Century model (ERA-20C, ERA-20CM) datasets (1900-2010), and removal of buoy data (ARGO & TAO), and UKMO GHRSST OSTIA & OISSTv2 (1/4th degree datasets). The buoy data was found to have a very large warm bias as compared to all other datasets, and OISTIA & high res OISSTv2 have very different resolutions against the other datasets, and their addition to the ENS ONI likely was causing some artificial dampening of the index in the satellite era.

2016-17 is very likely going to be recognized as a weak La Nina in this index, while new ENSO events were resolved in 1867-68 (weak El Nino) & 1906-07 (weak La Nina)

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Ensemble-ONI-1865-Dec-2016-Time-series.png

http://weatheradvance.com/home/weather/weatheradvance.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Ensemble-Oceanic-NINO-Index-ENS-ONI-Raw-Data-1865-2017.txt

I will have an updated version of this index out relatively soon as I'm currently having to reanalyze all the QC w/ the addition of CERA-20C to the suite of datasets used to calculate the ENS ONI. I'm very excited for what the next several months-year or so hold for this index as Hadley Centre Sea Ice and Sea Surface Temperature data set version 2 (HADISST2), NOAA's 20th Century Reanalysis Version 3 (1851-Present), ERSST Version 5 (1854-present), and ERA-5 (1950-Present) are expected to be released within the next year or so.

• Like 1

I will have an updated version of this index out relatively soon as I'm currently having to reanalyze all the QC w/ the addition of CERA-20C to the suite of datasets used to calculate the ENS ONI. I'm very excited for what the next several months-year or so hold for this index as Hadley Centre Sea Ice and Sea Surface Temperature data set version 2 (HADISST2), NOAA's 20th Century Reanalysis Version 3 (1851-Present), ERSST Version 5 (1854-present), and ERA-5 (1950-Present) are expected to be released within the next year or so.

I hope to god ERSSTv5 is an improvement over the catastrophe that was ERSSTv4. If not, I'm never using the ERSSTs again.