November 2022 PNW weather Discussion. #NoRidgeNovember

Iceresistance

4 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

Things started to get really good on this day in 1985. 

My favorite month to this day.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

4 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Negatives in Burns, OR the last two mornings.

It's just amazing with such an ugly looking 500mb setup.  The inversions that are able to set up in the West under certain conditions are pretty incredible.

• Like 1
  • Shivering 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

A low of 25 here this morning.  An impressive 13 freezing mins in a row now.

It almost seems like a dream to have another round of cold shaping up on the models now.  I find it interesting the GFS and ECMWF both did awesome in forecasting the current MJO wave, and yet took so long to spit out cold outcomes from it.

• Like 3
  • Shivering 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

It's just amazing with such an ugly looking 500mb setup.  The inversions that are able to set up in the West under certain conditions are pretty incredible.

Always helps to have a legitimately cold airmass at some point to “seed” the inversions so to speak. We’ve had a few of those this month, a brush with some and a more direct hit with others. That’s why I tend to give “fake cold” more credit than many do here. Even our sources for arctic air like Alaska and Siberia often build surface cold thanks to extreme inversions.

• Like 5

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

Yet another GEFS run where the 850s have trended colder for the end of the month.  A cold finish to the month would put a cherry on top of a pretty cold November.  An epic cold one east of the Cascades.

• Like 4

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

As the story goes, in 1578, English explorer Martin Frobisher and his crew gave thanks and communion was observed, either on land at Frobisher Bay, in present day Nunavut, or onboard a ship anchored there. The explorers dined on salt beef, biscuits, and mushy peas and gave thanks through Communion for their safe arrival in then Newfoundland. This is now accepted as the first “Canadian” Thanksgiving, forty-three years before the first “American” Thanksgiving.

I did not know that.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Yet another GEFS run where the 850s have trended colder for the end of the month.  A cold finish to the month would put a cherry on top of a pretty cold November.  An epic cold one east of the Cascades.

Definitely improvements on the GEFS for late month. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I did not know that.

You could probably go back even further than that. Cultures have had harvest feasts for millennia. 

If you want to get really technical Thanksgiving proper was made a national holiday by Lincoln in October 1863, though. Looks like Canada waited until 1957 to do so 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Edited by Cascadia_Wx
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Always helps to have a legitimately cold airmass at some point to “seed” the inversions so to speak. We’ve had a few of those this month, a brush with some and a more direct hit with others. That’s why I tend to give “fake cold” more credit than many do here. Even our sources for arctic air like Alaska and Siberia often build surface cold thanks to extreme inversions.

Great post!  A few really good examples for the West side would be January 2013 or January 1974 or going further back January 1942.

BTW...I think it's beyond interesting that Russia has been very cold at the same time North America has been cold this month.  We might be able to keep the fun going.

• Like 3
  • Excited 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

12 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

One thing I have to say about North Bend is their inability to get cold nights in this pattern would kind of drive me nuts.  Obviously getting more snow more than makes up for it, but that is more uncommon than them getting the shaft on the cold mins in certain situations.  There are probably microclimates around there where that isn't a problem though.

Its perfect for me... because I could not care less about cold stats.   But I do like snow events.    People remember snow events much more so than the morning low before dawn on a sunny day.    

• Like 5

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Holy crap!  A foot of snow in SEA to go with that as well.

1668945600-tnTZM1RDUw4.png

• Like 3
  • scream 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Its perfect for me... because I could not care less about cold stats.   But I do like snow events.    People remember snow events much more so than the morning low before dawn on a sunny day.    

Good point.  Just comes down to personal preferences.

• Like 2
  • scream 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, 12345WeatherNerd said:

LOCK IT IN. All trends considered I think the upcoming euro run will be beastly.1670328000-R09baTJqcAI.png

This sure got interesting in a hurry!

• Like 6
  • Weenie 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Nice to see people are having fun on here today!

• Like 3
  • Excited 1
  • lol 1
  • Snow 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

8 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

It's the GFS forecasting cold air advection. Add 10 to those numbers.

Every year the GFS transitions from being much maligned for its crazy temp output in the summer months to being celebrated for the same thing once the cold season arrives.   😄

• Like 8
  • Excited 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

10 hours ago, snow_wizard said:

Fun little fact for the night.  It's colder in the NE quarter of WA tonight than it is in the Dakotas.

#inversionpower

Fun little fact for the day. If you flip the world map sideways you see a duck and we are in its belly. 

#quackpower. 

E6FE546A-BFE4-49FA-93AE-3CF2A149BE9F.jpeg

• Like 3
  • lol 5

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

Fun little fact for the day. If you flip the world map sideways you see a duck and we are in its belly. 

#quackpower. 

E6FE546A-BFE4-49FA-93AE-3CF2A149BE9F.jpeg

Is the Alaskan panhandle it’s weenis? Asking for a friend.

• lol 1
  • Troll 2
  • Facepalm 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

I do love seeing the snow maps. I know some of these with the crazy totals aren't likely to come to fruition, but it sure is fun to dream and imagine it! I am a weirdo and enjoy doing "storm prep" when it looks like we might get hit with something, wind or snow. lol 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Everleigh said:

I do love seeing the snow maps. I know some of these with the crazy totals aren't likely to come to fruition, but it sure is fun to dream and imagine it! I am a weirdo and enjoy doing "storm prep" when it looks like we might get hit with something, wind or snow. lol 

Here’s bit of both for you for something that actually did came to fruition. It’s like projectile vomit from the lakes. 

• Like 5
  • Excited 1
  • scream 1

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

Here’s bit of both for you for something that actually did came to fruition. It’s like projectile vomit.

That is just INSANE to see!! I've not experience snow like that before. I sure would like to, but seeing as I don't enjoy travel and plan on staying in Washington state till I am dust....I most likely won't get to experience it. 

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Everleigh said:

That is just INSANE to see!! I've not experience snow like that before. I sure would like to, but seeing as I don't enjoy travel and plan on staying in Washington state till I am dust....I most likely won't get to experience it. 

It can potentially happen for us… all we need is a potent arctic airmass meeting an AR. Would love to see that sometimes. 

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Everleigh said:

The Washington Cascades can get some massive snowstorms.

• Like 2
  • scream 1
  • Facepalm 1