November 2022 PNW weather Discussion. #NoRidgeNovember

Iceresistance

7 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Nope

48E2B466-0465-49A5-8573-0080771E99A6.jpeg

722A65DB-8849-41E1-AFC0-66F4C66A79C9.jpeg

I’m in the purpley grayish blueish color…I don’t know that that color is but it’s not green and that is all that matters! 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

4 minutes ago, joelgombiner said:

No one move. It might disturb the atmosphere. 

Yeah, what do they say about the weather weenie effect? Something like if someone in Seattle gets too excited about the possibility of snow it causes a chain reaction that can lead to all the cold air being shunted east of the Rockies?

• Like 1
  • lol 3
  • Facepalm 1

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

One thing I always notice about the 500mb pattern in these situations. If a ridge is just a little too far east for us it can sit undisturbed for days delivering cold and snow for the intermountain west and northern Rockies. Whenever it’s in the sweet spot for more of a direct hit in the western lowlands  there is pretty always a little ULL or something that spins up upstream and screws everything up for a region wide blast. I’m guessing it has to do with short waves gaining energy as they encounter maritime air and becoming overstrengthened? It always feels like threading such an impossible needle to get true arctic air region wide. It’s amazing it happened as often as it did 1990 and before.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2
  • Shivering 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

1 minute ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Often with a low that comes down from Vancouver Island, this will lead to lower snow totals in the area in red (the south puget sound). Will be interesting to watch going forward! 

7EB9EF7C-89F2-46AB-88E4-261AEB7B1E83.jpeg

The lows and highs and maps colors will change for sures. But at least we have something to watch in early December.

3 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

One thing I always notice about the 500mb pattern in these situations. If a ridge is just a little too far east for us it can sit undisturbed for days delivering cold and snow for the intermountain west and northern Rockies. Whenever it’s in the sweet spot for more of a direct hit in the western lowlands  there is pretty always a little ULL or something that spins up upstream and screws everything up for a region wide blast. I’m guessing it has to do with short waves gaining energy as they encounter maritime air and becoming overstrengthened? It always feels like threading such an impossible needle to get true arctic air region wide. It’s amazing it happened as often as it did 1990 and before.

Then all summer we get these hysterically massive ridges that just lumber in and totally dominate the pattern for weeks. There was a time when cold air was able to throw its weight around like that too.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

Just now, Nov1985 said:

The lows and highs and maps colors will change for sures. But at least we have something to watch in early December.

Oh it will Fosho! Wasn’t trying to be a weenie😂. Just interesting how much the low placement effects snow totals so drastically because of the Olympics 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Skagit Weather said:

Yeah, what do they say about the weather weenie effect? Something like if someone in Seattle gets too excited about the possibility of snow it causes a chain reaction that can lead to all the cold air being shunted east of the Rockies?

Or... All at once, a million weenies cried out into the cold November night, releasing whirls and swirls of breath that blossomed into a towering column of air. Into the abyss rushed a backdoor cold blast, frigid Arctic air howling through the Cascade gaps. The haters gasped, silenced once and for all. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Oh it will Fosho! Wasn’t trying to be a weenie😂. Just interesting how much the low placement effects snow totals so drastically because of the Olympics 

The snow shadow and east wind drying (my area) should be banned from Western WA snow events. Just sayin' they aren't fair.  🤪

Just now, Nov1985 said:

The snow shadow and east wind drying (my area) should be banned from Western WA snow events. Just sayin' they aren't fair. 

Don’t move to Whatcom County or the BC Lower Mainland if you can’t stand dry outflow eating snow before it can reach the ground. It is a specialty of this area; the downside of having easier access to the outflow.

• Shivering 4
It's called clown range for a reason.

2 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:

I'm starting to get that feeling. My confidence is increasing. .... Sounds like a Depends commercial.

But seriously. We're right on the edge of this turning into something special, big league stuff.

00z GFS in 8 hours 18 minutes
00z ECMWF in 10 hours 28 minutes

Cold 850s on this run!

850th.us_nw.png

• Like 4
  • Shivering 2

2 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

We really need to create a map that shows all the micro climates that western Washington has. Maybe we could take a topographical map and overall that with data from the the NWS?????

It would be a pretty complex map that would have to be zoomable. Elevation would probably be the biggest single factor.

• Like 4
It's called clown range for a reason.