November 2022 PNW weather Discussion. #NoRidgeNovember

Iceresistance

I have learned not to freak out over each run especially when the pattern change has been shown for more than a few days.  

Pinpointing each low pressure position, wind speed and direction, and precip chances is futile.  We have all seen lows spin up out of nowhere when you get such a collision of airmasses, happens all the time.

I prefer to watch the old fashioned "Rob" WV loop once we are inside of 24 hours.  Also known as the Jack Capell method.

• Like 3
  • Excited 1
  • Weenie 4

1 minute ago, Deweydog said:

Snow 4 Vegas!

I believe this run shows Las Vegas getting more snow than the city of Seattle.   Makes sense.

• Like 1
  • lol 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

4 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

For Seattle-Tacoma, our best snowstorms come when it lands at the mouth of the Columbia River.

I remember a storm a few years back where a low dropped down from the gulf and wraps itself around the Olympics near the mouth of the columbia. Stayed up tracking it and  It was a great one. Believe it was in 2019. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, T-Town said:

Well let’s do that then. 

This is the scenario you want…. KOMO used to have a graphic up for this but a lot has changed then to that archive.  

“The near-perfect snow scenario in this case is to have the system track over land for most of the way on its trip along the Coastline, then curve out over the water as it reaches the northern tip of Vancouver Island, and then come inland around the Central Washington Coast or Northern Oregon (more on why landfall there is important in a minute.)”

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Snownerd3000 said:

I recall this! 

This was the one that a lot of people almost called a bust on because it was marginal late afternoon and even our friend Jim Cantore made a visit. It was early to late evening that it really ramped up. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cloud said:

This is the scenario you want…. KOMO used to have a graphic up for this but a lot has changed then to that archive.  

“The near-perfect snow scenario in this case is to have the system track over land for most of the way on its trip along the Coastline, then curve out over the water as it reaches the northern tip of Vancouver Island, and then come inland around the Central Washington Coast or Northern Oregon (more on why landfall there is important in a minute.)”

Right there, but preferably 976 mb 🤣sfcwind_mslp_nb_na.thumb.png.d87a71208480a471bda657b793ad9896.png

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

4 minutes ago, Cloud said:

We’ve lived here since September 2017 and have had three significant snow events. That’s quite a run for being at 300’ and a mile from the water. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, 12345WeatherNerd said:

Not the best 18z GFS, but what do you expect from the druncle?

Looks pretty solidly cool and shows at least 1 sub-freezing high in the long range. Not too shabby.

• Like 3

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

22 minutes ago, Cloud said:

I remember a storm a few years back where a low dropped down from the gulf and wraps itself around the Olympics near the mouth of the columbia. Stayed up tracking it and  It was a great one. Believe it was in 2019. 

Ah yes February 2019, December 2008’s little brother at least up here in Snohomish County it was

• Like 2

(Previous name: MillCreekMike)

Everett, WA (elev. 180’)

2023-2024 Snowfall:

1/11: Tr.

1/18: Tr.

Go M’s

57 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:
It could very well be this first trough is only chilly, and the main event follows

2008 was sorta like that in PDX. Initial snowfall didn't amount to a whole lot and then things got melty for a few days. Then came the main event.

• Like 3
It's called clown range for a reason.

4 minutes ago, T-Town said:

We’ve lived here since September 2017 and have had three significant snow events. That’s quite a run for being at 300’ and a mile from the water. 

We moved to this house summer of 2012 and I heard stories of 18" snows the winter prior. Hardly a wet inch or two for 5 years, maybe 2017 had something. Then ever since Feb 2019 I've shoveled 10" to 20" of snow every year... Now I have 2 snow shovels and an 80 volt electric snow shovel... 

chrome_DM75UwsGdI.png

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

2008 was sorta like that in PDX. Initial snowfall didn't amount to a whole lot and then things got melty for a few days. Then came the main event.

I thought some places had 3-4" with the Arctic front on the 14th? Mostly in the west metro from PNS reports from then it seems like.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 12345WeatherNerd said:

Not too bad, just not as good as Euro.

You're gonna do great.

• Like 2

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

3 minutes ago, Doinko said:

I thought some places had 3-4" with the Arctic front on the 14th? Mostly in the west metro from PNS reports from then it seems like.

Maybe some places, more like 2" in the city proper, and like I said it then went above freezing and mostly all melted.

• Like 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

5 minutes ago, Doinko said:

Yeah, I did pretty good that first day in Tigard with the low dropping down the coast. 3-4 inches sounds right. Great early winter break for a senior in high school! 

Edited by FroYoBro
  • Like 2