November 2022 PNW weather Discussion. #NoRidgeNovember

Iceresistance

3 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

And that usually comes with a low to the south.  The E/NE winds help with precip rates and helps with cold air damming.  I don't get as excited by arctic blasts as most do because they are sometimes too dry for significant snow. Give me normal temps and average to above average precip and I get a lot of snow.  

Easy to say on that side of the mountains.  I would root for blasts over there too, because of record low potential.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, Gradient Keeper said:

Day 10

500h_anom.na.png

This is classic.  Arctic blast and then ridge moves closer.  That is how it's done to get a really cold winter here.  I hope we get snow!

• Like 6
  • Weenie 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Artic air and no snow= no fun

I don’t think most people even remember the December 2009 arctic blast. Pretty decent on the temps but no snowfall in an overall garbage winter. 09-10 and 15-16 are the only winters I’ve seen here not even manage to have snowflakes in the air. 

• Like 5
  • Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

One thing to remember is blasts from the north are much more likely to produce snow for Seattle than backdoor ones.  Mins temps are usually a lot colder too, because we don't have east winds to deal with.

Right now this thing looks top tier for this early in the season.  That is other than events like 1955 and 1985.

Backdoor blasts are boring for the Puget Sound. Would love a strong Arctic front dropping down with heavy snow. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

One thing to remember is blasts from the north are much more likely to produce snow for Seattle than backdoor ones.  Mins temps are usually a lot colder too, because we don't have east winds to deal with.

Right now this thing looks top tier for this early in the season.  That is other than events like 1955 and 1985.

I'd rather we get a major backdoor blast with multiple lows to our south in an overrunning event, like 2014. That was amazing, three systems in the perfect position to dump snow from Longview to Eugene

• Like 2
  • Excited 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, TacomaWx said:

I don’t think most people even remember the December 2009 arctic blast. Pretty decent on the temps but no snowfall in an overall garbage winter. 09-10 and 15-16 are the only winters I’ve seen here not even manage to have snowflakes in the air. 

I think Portland had a good 2-5" storm in late December 2009. And in January 2016 we actually had a subfreezing high with around an inch of snow. Don't think we had any snowflakes in 2014/15 though

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Easy to say on that side of the mountains.  I would root for blasts over there too, because of record low potential.

I don't mind arctic blasts, and it certainly preserves the snow and is interesting from a weather geeks point of view, but I do prefer snow.  Maybe a blast followed eventually by wet systems in December.  I could live with that, but worst case ridging develops over us for boring weather.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, SnowWillarrive said:

Backdoor blasts are boring for the Puget Sound. Would love a strong Arctic front dropping down with heavy snow. 

Yeah backdoors are painful up in my area. We might get some sloppy snow but it all melts before the cold air slowly and painfully creeps in. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I remember 09. First winter in PDX and had to clean cars in the sub freezing highs. Did have a fun blast in 10 I believe that made my normally 30 min commute home take 3 hrs 

• Like 5
  • Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, Doinko said:

I'd rather we get a major backdoor blast with multiple lows to our south in an overrunning event, like 2014. That was amazing, three systems in the perfect position to dump snow from Longview to Eugene

Unfortunately it’s pretty rare that we actually get an event that really hits everyone from Vancouver BC to the southern Willamette valley really well. February 2019 and December 2021 were close but there were some areas in both of those periods that just didn’t do quite as well. December 2008 really is the rare one that nailed everyone. 

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

2009 was a very cold blast. No moisture at all though so it was such a waste. Ice hockey was being played on some ponds in west Eugene.

• Like 2
  • Sick 1
  • Weenie 1

Unfortunately it’s pretty rare that we actually get an event that really hits everyone from Vancouver BC to the southern Willamette valley really well. February 2019 and December 2021 were close but there were some areas in both of those periods that just didn’t do quite as well. December 2008 really is the rare one that nailed everyone. 

December 2008 did unfortunately screw Eugene though. They did get some snow with the Arctic front I think.

December 2021 maybe? We only had around 3" here but Eugene set a record for a snowiest December dat and basically everyone did at least decent I think.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

If we can maintain the blocky regime, i could see a few opportunities this winter. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, Doinko said:

December 2008 did unfortunately screw Eugene though. They did get some snow with the Arctic front I think.

December 2021 maybe? We only had around 3" here but Eugene set a record for a snowiest December dat and basically everyone did at least decent I think.

Eugene didn't get screwed at all in 2008. It just wasn't the epic once in 30 years type system that it was for Portland and other areas. We got about 4-5 inches of nice dry snow and 3-4 days of subfreezing temps. A very good event.

• Like 5
  • Weenie 1

24 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

I remember that one very well. First temps in the single digits I’ve witnessed when I was old enough to know what was going on. Lots of icing on local rivers. Plus cold is just fun on its own. There are a lot of people here who like heat along with nothing else.

As has been mentioned, we had a very nice overachieving snow event in the Portland area later on that month as well.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

2 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

It’s almost as bad as getting a big heatwave with no wildfires to show for it.

I was able to walk on frozen ice that was at least 5 inches thick. That was kind of cool. Heatwaves are fine with me, but it would be sweet if somehow our climate could manage to dump some rain occasionally during the summer.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Night shift should be fun. Dr. No in less than an hour.

• Like 5
  • Weenie 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

19 minutes ago, Dave said:

2009 was a very cold blast. No moisture at all though so it was such a waste. Ice hockey was being played on some ponds in west Eugene.

That one was I believe a totally dry blast pretty much everywhere. It happened during an El Niño winter so came as a surprise to many.

The nice thing about it was that I was living in Portland at the time, and it was the only blast during my time there that did not involve a big snow or ice storm in the Gorge, and it was still going strong when the weekend hit, so I was at long last able to drive into the Gorge and see the iced-up waterfalls.

• Like 5
  • Weenie 1
It's called clown range for a reason.