November 2022 PNW weather Discussion. #NoRidgeNovember

Iceresistance

2 hours ago, Skagit Weather said:

Woke up a bit ago to that ever lovely 32F rainfallĀ šŸ¤®. Currently back up to 33.5F with some stratiform rain. If these next few days are going to be one of those times where it refuses to snow until the temperatures are exactly 32.0F or below there's certainly not going to be a lot of snow.

It should not be. Dew points should be lower.

It's called clown range for a reason.

10 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Got nothing up here....well... 0.04" of precip but no snow.Ā  I woke up at 6 to take the dog out and the back deck was still just wet.Ā Ā  By 6:20, it was frozen solid.Ā  Crazy how quickly it happened.Ā 

D**n thats strange! Figured you would've gotten a little more than me being up the hill a bit. Moisture must've been pretty sparse overnight.Ā 

• Like 2

Just now, mtep said:

D**n thats strange! Figured you would've gotten a little more than me being up the hill a bit. Moisture must've been pretty sparse overnight.Ā 

Yeah I was surprised when you said you had a dusting.Ā  It's possible it fell as wet snow and melted I guess.Ā  Looks like it hit about 2:20, and the temp was 34.5.

Ā 

Sounds like the roads are a little slushy in Ferndale, and Kendall got a couple of inches.Ā 

• Like 2

12Z GFS still dumps a foot of snow on downtown Seattle in a short time on Wednesday morning.Ā  Ā  Its not going to change right up to the event.Ā  Ā So it will either be a huge win or massive bust.Ā  Ā 

• Like 5
  • lol 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Snow 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

7 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

12Z GFS still dumps a foot of snow on downtown Seattle in a short time on Wednesday morning.Ā  Ā  Its not going to change right up to the event.Ā  Ā So it will either be a huge win or massive bust.Ā  Ā 

I could see someone elevated away from the water getting 6-8 for sure.Ā  Clearview, three lakes, Lake Stevens, etc...Ā  But Seattle proper??Ā  Going to be tough.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

It's the Federal government. Perhaps there is a clause in a funding appropriation specifying a deadline for putting in the new system.

Then they need to can their development team or whatever and find people that can actually make a positive impact. But, as you said, it is the Feds we're talking about.

• Like 1

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

10 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

It wont snow a foot but a few quick inches is possible. This system is packing a punch so the heavy precip rates might do the trick.

• Like 2

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

5 minutes ago, jakerepp said:

Then they need to can their development team or whatever and find people that can actually make a positive impact. But, as you said, it is the Feds we're talking about.

Or just a manager who can think creatively and brand the old version with some minor cosmetic improvements and tweaks to be the ā€œnewā€ one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Weiner Warrior said:

54 hours and 0% chance this verifies but fun to think of the possibilitiesĀ 

sn10_acc.us_nw-2.png

It's possible. I remember a storm back in the 90's that dumped 4-8 inches over the kitsap pen and out towards seatac that was all from evap cooling, no snow at all in the forecast.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, RentonHillTC said:

Could have made a bunch of improvements to surface details? His just measures 500 heights.Ā 

It is supposed to be better with snow.Ā  Current GFS overestimates snow totals in marginal temps, and underestimates snow with very cold temps.Ā Ā 

But if you don't get the 500 heights correct, how can the snow forecasts be better?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

It is supposed to be better with snow.Ā  Current GFS overestimates snow totals in marginal temps, and underestimates snow with very cold temps.Ā Ā 

But if you don't get the 500 heights correct, how can the snow forecasts be better?

I guess if surface details are better the snow forecast could improve in the short term.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

And GFS predicting a foot of snow for Seattle might be the textbook example of overforecasting snow in marginal temp situations.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, North_County said:

State DOT had the snowplow out this morning,Ā  which I thought was funny.

Ā 

20221128_072306.thumb.jpg.046faf5b20530e1c68649aed3a36c022.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Hang in there, I'm busting out one of my kids old sleds and rigging a harness for my dog, we will be heading out shortly to bring you supplies in case WSDOT can't dig you guys out!

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

It's possible. I remember a storm back in the 90's that dumped 4-8 inches over the kitsap pen and out towards seatac that was all from evap cooling, no snow at all in the forecast.

I think I remember that storm. It was fun. It didnā€™t surprise me because temperatures were right on the edge so I knew it was a possibility.