November 2022 PNW weather Discussion. #NoRidgeNovember

Iceresistance

10 minutes ago, High Desert Mat? said:

Who has the 500mb maps and 850mb maps for the Feb. 2019 event? I’d love to see those. Maybe a couple of the precip maps as well?

From the late month or early month events? Here's from the 24th to 26th with the big snowstorm in central OR

compday.GRlP2C03I_.gif

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I just needed a break.  I was getting way too wound up.

The stakes are pretty high with this potential snowfall.  Anything we get could be around for a while!  Of course it would lead to colder temps during the cold snap as well.

Imagine NWS in Seattle is sweating bullets with the uncertainty presented Willy Wonka Suspense GIF

• Like 1

18z Euro only goes out to 90 hours but the Friday low is definitely weaker than on the 12z (by 4 mb) and further southwest. The 12z GFS to 18z GFS also shifted that low similarly to the SW. Probably bodes well and it will be interesting to see what the 00z Euro shows for Friday-Saturday when that low approaches.

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, High Desert Mat? said:

Might as well start calling this the Washington forums. 

I've posted several times today from Bend. But can you blame them? This type of scenario rarely occurs in the lowlands of the PNW, especially in November. We do need more Oregon posters to join though for sure.

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Requiem said:

I'm a bit skeptical of any accumulation-- I think if my area (or even the PDX lowlands) were to get anything whatsoever it would be later this week with even a hint of offshore flow. Then again, it might just be too warm for anything but some pretty looking snow showers.

Yeah, Friday night is easily looking like our most interesting window right now. Very iffy though.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Dave said:

I've posted several times today from Bend. But can you blame them? This type of scenario rarely occurs in the lowlands of the PNW, especially in November. We do need more Oregon posters to join though for sure.

Lot of it is a lack of people down there…lot more Washington posters. I wouldn’t be upset at you guys if you were excited for a big event that looked pretty minimal up here. It just hasn’t been the other way around with an Oregon focused winter event in way too long. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

4 minutes ago, Dave said:

There just isn't a lot for us Oregonians to post about right now. Let the Washington peeps have their fun. I hope everyone does well with snow over the next week! 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, TacomaWx said:

Lot of it is a lack of people down there…lot more Washington posters. I wouldn’t be upset at you guys if you were excited for a big event that looked pretty minimal up here. It just hasn’t been the other way around with an Oregon focused winter event in way too long. 

The way this is changing I wouldn't give up hope if I lived down there.

• Like 5

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

6 minutes ago, Dave said:

At *some* point I'm sure the shoe has to be on the other foot...

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

2 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

April '22!

• Like 1
  • Sick 1

A forum for the end of the world.

1 minute ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

If things stay like this or close it sure looks pretty good for Portland.

gfs_ref_frzn_nwus_19.png

No doubt the Portland area has a way better shot than points south.

• Popcorn 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, snow_wizard said:

Just now, snow_wizard said:

Reminds me of 2008 in many ways. It just kept getting better and when it got rolling it just kept on going and going.

• Like 2

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

3 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I have to say I'm a bit flabbergasted how much better things got today.  Wow!

I'm trying so hard to keep my expectations in check. I'm also failing badly.

• Like 2

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

Just now, Requiem said:

At *some* point I'm sure the shoe has to be on the other foot...

It happens.  In events like Dec 1919 and Jan 1930 Seattle got absolutely owned by Portland.  There are much more recent ones too of course.  The most notable in recent times was Jan 2017 and of course Feb 2014.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Wow!!!

Was this modeled today?

I'm surprised there is still so much moisture left.  Cold wise I'm not surprised.  This looks like it's just beginning.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

It happens.  In events like Dec 1919 and Jan 1930 Seattle got absolutely owned by Portland.  There are much more recent ones too of course.  The most notable in recent times was Jan 2017 and of course Feb 2014.

Jan 2017 and Feb 2014 came during a time when I was living in the Puget Sound area and getting skunked by big snowfalls to my north and south. For a number of years I never got more than an inch or two at any one time. Got quite frustrating.

It's called clown range for a reason.

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Hard to imagine something like 1930

Screenshot_20221128_170322_Firefox.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Wow!!!

Was this modeled today?

This area of Thurston County is always the winner in the snow department because of elevation, and models will typically highlight this area with heavier totals; but most models predicted little to no accumulations in Thurston County at all tonight.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Doinko said:

Only Portland, not the rest of the valley. Great event though

A good event, but I'd argue a very west-side centric one.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

9 minutes ago, Nov1985 said:

Thanks, just cancelled all plans for Fri Dec 9. That looks like a sure thing!

I have some friends trying to leave N Bend Friday to catch a flight to SF for a buddies bachelor party to watch SF take on the Phins. I told them i see a delay of game happening lol. 

• Like 1