November 2022 PNW weather Discussion. #NoRidgeNovember

Iceresistance

Not sure what it means for out here... but it looks like its turned to rain now at the Snoqualmie Ridge exit on I-90 at about 900 feet.

• scream 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Mark Nelsen is not as negative about our chances anymore!

Another cold upper trough drops down offshore Friday and spins up another wet frontal system. Models are all over the place on this one. The normally cold GFS thinks we’ve got a snow and then ice storm Friday night into Saturday morning. The ECMWF is much drier and has the system farther offshore. But it IS cold enough with a strong easterly Gorge wind that moisture would be in the form of snow/ice. So Friday evening/night is another possible “event” I’m watching closely. There is also plenty of cold/dry arctic air lingering just north of us through early next week. That means at any time some of that could get pulled south and interact with Pacific moisture as we’re seeing this evening. Winter is here for the forecasters and it’s busy!

• Like 9

Just now, TT-SEA said:

I trust the GFS for the Seattle/Tacoma area much more tomorrow night since the air mass will be colder and all the models agree on that.  

Definitely not the same situation as today at all. Gotta get some more agreement on how much precip we’re working with though. The euro doesn’t show as much precip as some other models do. FWIW the cmc stepped up their total snowfall but there’s a sharp cutoff south of king county unlike the gfs. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I trust the GFS for the Seattle/Tacoma area much more tomorrow night since the air mass will be colder and all the models agree on that.  

It’s putting out these temps…. This won’t happen 

7A2153AE-F5B7-4B5F-B4A2-9924C4E20482.jpeg

• Like 2
  • lol 6
  • Facepalm 2

5 minutes ago, KingstonWX said:

This bust was bigger than most but I can't help but feel like there's always a bust (just not this big) to start the season, then everyone downplays the models when they predict snow afterwards, only to see some of us get shocked when something verifies and people get surprised in the middle of a commute or workday. It's fascinating how finicky our microclimates are here in the PNW and how difficult this can be, but I'm excited to see what's next. 

It doesn't help that our snow events almost always seem to be incredibly borderline. The bust potential is crazy high.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Doinko said:

Another cold upper trough drops down offshore Friday and spins up another wet frontal system. Models are all over the place on this one. The normally cold GFS thinks we’ve got a snow and then ice storm Friday night into Saturday morning. The ECMWF is much drier and has the system farther offshore. But it IS cold enough with a strong easterly Gorge wind that moisture would be in the form of snow/ice. So Friday evening/night is another possible “event” I’m watching closely. There is also plenty of cold/dry arctic air lingering just north of us through early next week. That means at any time some of that could get pulled south and interact with Pacific moisture as we’re seeing this evening. Winter is here for the forecasters and it’s busy!

This makes me feel better. I put a lot of stock in Mark's analysis. Really need euro to get on board tho.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

This was also our biggest November snowfall since 2010 as well. 2017 and 2014 only had 1/2” an inch. Big November snow just isn’t very common and even modest events only come around every 5 years or so it seems. 

That has always been the case.  Even way back it was erratic in November.  Sometimes we get a really big one though.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

3 minutes ago, Hawksfan2008 said:

What a weird event. I went up to 30 briefly and just dropped back down to 29. Blowing snow. Might be right on the edge. 

On the night of 2/11/19 it turned to rain at Snoqualmie Ridge and took another 12 hours before it stopped snowing in North Bend just 6 miles away.    There ended up being much more snow 500 feet lower in North Bend.

• Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

5 minutes ago, Doinko said:

Sounds really interesting now. The other day I believe he said there would be no cold east wind for the week ahead. I'm glad that changed!

• Like 3

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Seattle WA
800 PM PST Tue Nov 29 2022

WAZ556-301200-
/O.EXA.KSEW.WW.Y.0030.000000T0000Z-221201T0000Z/
Bellevue and Vicinity-
including Bellevue, Bothell, Kenmore, Mill Creek, Clearview,
Kirkland, Newcastle, Redmond, Sammamish, and Issaquah

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 PM PST WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...Wet snow. Additional snow accumulations of up to one
  inch.

* WHERE...Bellevue and vicinity, including Mill Creek, Kenmore,
  Kirkland, and Issaquah.

* WHEN...Until 4 PM PST Wednesday.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous
  conditions could impact the morning or evening commute.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Slow down and use caution while traveling.

For the latest road conditions in Washington state, call 5 1 1.
  • Like 4
  • lol 2
  • Facepalm 2

3 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Uh huh….

7CB7D43D-1CA2-4B5E-894C-6FEDFBB812D1.png

If there is snow on the ground and it's clear I could see the upper teens being possible.  No matter what we have several days of cold weather coming up.  We are on a roll right now.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, 12345WeatherNerd said:
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Seattle WA

WAZ556-301200-
/O.EXA.KSEW.WW.Y.0030.000000T0000Z-221201T0000Z/
Bellevue and Vicinity-
including Bellevue, Bothell, Kenmore, Mill Creek, Clearview,
Kirkland, Newcastle, Redmond, Sammamish, and Issaquah

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 PM PST WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...Wet snow. Additional snow accumulations of up to one
  inch.

* WHERE...Bellevue and vicinity, including Mill Creek, Kenmore,
  Kirkland, and Issaquah.

* WHEN...Until 4 PM PST Wednesday.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous
  conditions could impact the morning or evening commute.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Slow down and use caution while traveling.

For the latest road conditions in Washington state, call 5 1 1.

URGENT! 

1" of snow

• Like 1
  • Excited 2
  • lol 5

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

Just now, TT-SEA said:

On the night of 2/11/19 it turned to rain at Snoqualmie Ridge and took another 12 hours before it stopped snowing in North Bend.    There ended up being much more snow 500 feet lower in North Bend.

The beauty of microclimates. Washington is dull 90+% of the time but pretty cool when we get these dynamic events. Thanks for sharing! 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MossMan said:

And the rain just turned to puking snow. 

How was Randy getting rain when it's snowing in south SnoCo? Crazy stuff going on.

• Like 4
  • Excited 1

Home Weather Station Stats for 2023

High - Satans Bunghole

Lowest High - Not sure

Low - I don't have the data

Sub 40 highs - Not quite

Sub-freezing highs - Try again

Lows below 25 - You're joking

Lows below 20 - No

2023 Snowfall - LOL

4 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

If there is snow on the ground and it's clear I could see the upper teens being possible.  No matter what we have several days of cold weather coming up.  We are on a roll right now.

The problem is that the GFS (and the Euro to some extent) seems to really be overdoing the surface cooling from snow. Recently if the model thinks there's snow on the ground the temperatures are 10-15 degrees cooler than other locations. I've been noticing it on the models for the last couple weeks. So the GFS assumes there will be snow on the ground and automatically drops the temperatures to the single digits or low teens.

• Like 3

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)