November 2022 PNW weather Discussion. #NoRidgeNovember

Iceresistance

1 minute ago, Nov1985 said:

Around 4" on my residential road. 

PXL_20221130_062610885.jpg

Its not still hot from that 80 degree day in October?   Surprising.

• Like 2
  • lol 1
  • Sun 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

Pardon my sour mood.  I am really Jonesing to see the ECMWF.

I believe there's some sort of internal sever issue that's delaying the output. I feel ya, us southerners are banking on it this week 

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

3 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

No fuckiing way. The ppl working at the NWS need to be fired. U can’t remove and add WSW like this 

5444295F-4155-493B-8BCF-A48491754591.png

OMG that's hilarious. It's not even WSW criteria unless it fits the fast accumulation guidelines. Even then, I think a WWA would be more appropriate. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, WeatheringLoyalHeights said:

Long time lurker, first time poster. It’s been a blast learning from you all! Mostly back to snow now in Loyal Heights/Ballard. Sticking to cars and grass again after a long bout with heavy rain. Maybe we aren’t done with this after all! Now it will be really hard to get to sleep…

Welcome. The family and I hit up the loyal heights playfield all the time. 

Starting to accumulate on the roads here. 

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

4 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

No fuckiing way. The ppl working at the NWS need to be fired. U can’t remove and add WSW like this 

5444295F-4155-493B-8BCF-A48491754591.png

And not mention the hood canal where 6-10 inches has fallen  with thunder snow.  This is by far the worst they have ever done. 

• Like 5

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

2 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

I honestly feel bad for them in scenarios like this. They can't win. 

This was a tremendously difficult storm to forecast but it does look like in the end we’ll end up with a huge gradient starting around downtown up to Everett just like the models predicted, except it was supposed to be turning to rain right now, not the other way around. Only thing we don’t know yet is how much we’ll end up with by morning. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

Temperature dropped 5 degrees in the last 20 minutes. Down to 36 now

Looks like I might avoid the warm spike here at least.  Still just above freezing.  Pretty hollow victory though.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, snow_wizard said:

Looks like I might avoid the warm spike here at least.  Still just above freezing.  Pretty hollow victory though.

Yea, u got lucky. I think I got up to 42 or 43 even possibly. I don’t own a weather station yet so I don’t have the stats. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

I honestly feel bad for them in scenarios like this. They can't win. 

I agree... this is just about impossible to nail down.   Nature is trolling everyone tonight.    

• Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Just now, MWG said:

Oregon peeps our time will come soon!!.......or maybe in January 🤣

Juneary perhaps... 

• lol 1
  • Shivering 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

I knew this is how it would play out and yet it still stings.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

7 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

And not mention the hood canal where 6-10 inches has fallen  with thunder snow.  This is by far the worst they have ever done. 

The problem is their zone structure. I think a lot of us forget that. If they were to give a WSW to you, it would hit way more of Kitsap than it applies to, then they look like even more of a bust. Tbh, NWS would look way better on paper by simply redoing their entire zone structure to account for various similarities that aren't always relative to the issue at hand. For example, there's a lot of areas that get the same enhancement snows Port Angeles does, but aren't included in their warnings. There are also a lot of areas that don't get it at all but do get their warnings. It's totally obsolete and never was all that great to begin with.

• Like 1

"They should have issued a WSW earlier..." but the reality is that everyone in the Seattle area knew that there was snow potential this week. People in greater Seattle are obsessed with the weather, and obsessed with snow in the winter. It is quite unique, and I think it has to do with our rainy climate––people cling to the idea of something different being possible, be it snow or sun or wind. I can tell you it's certainly not the case in Spokane, and as a result, NWS Spokane tends to be much more predictable about when they do or don't issue watches, warnings, or advisories.

There are few other locations in the country, beyond Seattle, where it's less meaningful whether or not a WSW is issued.

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, Skagit Weather said:

Maybe they're updating it so it doesn't show so much phantom snow. It has predicted 10" of snow at my house in the last two days and I haven't seen even a trace.

Hoping to get in on some of the sloppy scraps when the colder air moves in over the next couple days. The forecasted snow amounts are comically bad around here, everything goes either north or south; the Olympics might as well be the Himalayas.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

the fix is in.  local media now saying a rain or rain/snow mix during the day tomorrow in Spokane. oof

then turning back to snow later tomorrow

Ugh. I don't want it to be gross when I come back that direction. Glad there's more snow in the offing later on.

• Like 1