November 2022 PNW weather Discussion. #NoRidgeNovember

Iceresistance

Coworker of mine in Warrenton (Clatsop County, OR near Astoria) says it has been snowing at her house but not sticking.

• Like 1

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

2 minutes ago, Brian_in_Leavenworth said:

Stevens Pass ski area will open Friday

So is Snoqualmie. They got 18” yesterday.

• Like 3

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

2 minutes ago, Weiner Warrior said:

Still coming down. 32.5 degrees

20221130_142110.jpg

Where in Seattle are you?  I think my son at UW is looking to go for a snow drive.  

• Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

11 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:

The low is diving south too far offshore.

No kidding! I don't envy any meteorologist trying to forecast where it will, or might snow over the next 48-72 hours! There will be many fluctuations made with short-term fine tuning needed by the hour in some cases.

A compromise between the GFS and Euro would probably be okay for Portland

6 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I would guess he’s in Bellevue near Cougar Mountain.

Ahhh... his location says Seattle.

Of course my goofy user name implies I live at SeaTac.   😀

• Excited 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

3 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

ummmm, which one is correct......  I mean they look kinda similar but still very different.

KLGX_loop.gif

image.png

The UW is a composite... so there is often overlap between radars which can make precip look more than each individual radar.    I think the top image is just the coastal radar.  

But now I see the issue is the opposite.    Maybe the top one is the composite version of the coastal radar and that version always shows more precip than the standard one.

Just now, TT-SEA said:

The UW is a composite... so there is often overlap between radars which can make precip look more than each individual radar.    I think the top image is just the coastal radar.  

I get that, just comparing my little spot on each map and the difference in echoes is quite different.

warm nose is a bastard.  oh what could've been. Euro/Canadian blend was right after all. Kudos to the NWS last night at least in the Spokane metro area. looking like 6-8"ish will be it for this round, already starting to settle and compact.  mostly melted off driveway where I plowed and trees. They probably didn't need to extend the WSW and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets dropped or changed to an Advisory later, secondary and neighborhood streets are a mess

Just now, GHweatherChris said:

I get that, just comparing my little spot on each map and the difference in echoes is quite different.

Yeah... updated my post.   I see the issue is the opposite.   The top one shows much more precip for you.   

Seems like for a little silver lining models are a little more robust with snow showers down here into Thursday. Could see some spots with accumulation, I'm sure...

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Just now, Phishy Wx said:

warm nose is a bastard.  oh what could've been. Euro/Canadian blend was right after all. Kudos to the NWS last night at least in the Spokane metro area. looking like 6-8"ish will be it for this round, already starting to settle and compact.  mostly melted off driveway where I plowed and trees. They probably didn't need to extend the WSW and I wouldn't be surprised if it gets dropped or changed to an Advisory later, secondary and neighborhood streets are a mess

Did u end up staying and canceling your work trip?

6 minutes ago, GHweatherChris said:

ummmm, which one is correct......  I mean they look kinda similar but still very different.

KLGX_loop.gif

image.png

Both are correct? NWS shows coastal radar... which would make it miss some echos over inland. 

This one shows it looks very similar to the UW radar. 

https://radar.weather.gov/?settings=v1_eyJhZ2VuZGEiOnsiaWQiOm51bGwsImNlbnRlciI6Wy0xMjEuOTcsNDYuNzMyXSwibG9jYXRpb24iOm51bGwsInpvb20iOjd9LCJhbmltYXRpbmciOmZhbHNlLCJiYXNlIjoic3RhbmRhcmQiLCJhcnRjYyI6ZmFsc2UsImNvdW50eSI6ZmFsc2UsImN3YSI6ZmFsc2UsInJmYyI6ZmFsc2UsInN0YXRlIjpmYWxzZSwibWVudSI6dHJ1ZSwic2hvcnRGdXNlZE9ubHkiOmZhbHNlLCJvcGFjaXR5Ijp7ImFsZXJ0cyI6MC44LCJsb2NhbCI6MC42LCJsb2NhbFN0YXRpb25zIjowLjgsIm5hdGlvbmFsIjowLjZ9fQ%3D%3D

4 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Seems like for a little silver lining models are a little more robust with snow showers down here into Thursday. Could see some spots with accumulation, I'm sure...

Could be some last minute surprise or something for Friday night but obviously that's a very low chance

2 minutes ago, Requiem said:

With thicknesses dropping to around 521-523dm and a few little embedded disturbances and light gradients, pretty much anyone could see a little something tomorrow morning or Thursday night.

• Like 5
  • Snow 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Just now, Doinko said:

Could be some last minute surprise or something on Friday night but obviously that's a very low chance

This isn't the Friday situation-- obviously lots to resolve with that low. This accumulation is solely hit or miss with that wave of moisture arriving tonight.

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Snowing pretty good here.  The wind shifted enough to bring some of the cold air from the North Bend area in here.  Currently 34.

ECMWF shows a nice amount of moisture over the next several hours.

• Like 8

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, Deweydog said:

With thicknesses dropping to around 521-523dm and a few little embedded disturbances and light gradients, pretty much anyone could see a little something tomorrow morning or Thursday night.

A half inch to an inch would be really nice

Just now, snow_wizard said:

Snowing pretty good here.  The wind shifted enough to bring some of the cold air from the North Bend area in here.  Currently 34.

ECMWF shows a nice amount of moisture over the next several hours.

I don't think that is what happened.   We mixed out entirely earlier today.   The cold air is moving in again from the NW now.

• Like 1