November 2022 PNW weather Discussion. #NoRidgeNovember

Iceresistance

2 minutes ago, OysterPrintout said:

Yeah we should have a couple bites at the apple. Just too bad it's not a very good apple. The season is young and I've spent some nino hell years waiting up until 3 a.m. just to watch a snow to rain mix occur for 30 minutes so the idea of a little daytime snowglobe doesn't seem so bad, especially considering ENSO moving forward.

At least tomorrow looks more interesting. I suspect most of us won't get much more than a dusting if that. However we should all at least enjoy seeing some snow fall and there is always the small chance of getting lucky under some heavy shower and getting a quick 1-2 inches. 

10 minutes ago, Perturbed Member said:

I hope the coast range isn't too hungry tonight. 

Ah, yes, “fond” memories of living in PDX and on cold nights watching nice juicy snow showers get ripped to shreds by the Coast Range. Almost as much “fun” as watching the dry Fraser outflow obliterate them here.

• Sad 1
It's called clown range for a reason.

1 minute ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Ah, yes, “fond” memories of living in PDX and on cold nights watching nice juicy snow showers get ripped to shreds by the Coast Range. Almost as much “fun” as watching the dry Fraser outflow obliterate them here.

Yep, no win scenario.  When I lived in Troutdale the Gorge winds took it all away while those west of me got the goods in a huge way!    My consolation prize was two extra days in the fridge while they all bubbled up with south winds.  Conflicting emotion lol! 

Just now, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Yep unless you are one of these people like Andrew who has some elevation, showery snow around here is almost always a non event. There are some exceptions of course but we usually need the showers to be quite organized and not moving directly west to east. It is enough of a long shot that I usually set my expectations to 0 when I see this sort of thing on the models. Washington county is especially rough for this kind of stuff. 

I'd probably be decently satisfied with this climate if I moved up to 1500ft or so. If you can't beat the Coast Range, join it. 

10 minutes ago, RCola said:

Congrats to the folks getting snow tonight! It sucks that I was just a mile too south yesterday and a mile too north today to see anything meaningful, but I'm glad some folks in the region got something good out of this marginal set up.

I'm in the same boat except I was too far north and south yesterday but today I'm just plain too far north.  Not even very cold here, 34 degrees and holding steady.

• scream 1

1 minute ago, dhoffine said:

Looking at the radar it seems the moisture is thinning out from Olympia south, do we think it will fill in?

Looks like this round is dying down, but the next thing should fill it back in between around 4 to 10 AM tomorrow... At least that's my read. 

Tomorrow is looking pretty cold here. Would be pretty cool to pull off a sub 30 high, but sub freezing will do if not. Putting my Jim hat on now that snow is pretty much off the table for tonight/tomorrow. Maybe Friday night I can put my rainbow propeller hat back on. 

• lol 1

2 minutes ago, joelgombiner said:

Looks like this round is dying down, but the next thing should fill it back in between around 4 to 10 AM tomorrow... At least that's my read. 

Even earlier... ECMWF shows that band off the coast reaching Seattle around 2 a.m.

• Excited 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

6 minutes ago, Winterdog said:

I'm in the same boat except I was too far north and south yesterday but today I'm just plain too far north.  Not even very cold here, 34 degrees and holding steady.

I'm really shocked you have had such bad luck.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

Well over an inch out there now.  Probably at least 1.5" and still coming down good.  I'm liking that encore performance the models are showing very late tonight.

Yeah... the 2 - 9 a.m. period looks interesting again for western King County.

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

20 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

I smell an overperformer.

NWS still going to bust even with another nowcast advisory issued.

Most of the snow has melted off the road since this photo. Interesting. Really need some heavier showers to move through. 

SWS issued and it’s 43F. That’s a new one.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

5 minutes ago, mtep said:

Tomorrow is looking pretty cold here. Would be pretty cool to pull off a sub 30 high, but sub freezing will do if not. Putting my Jim hat on now that snow is pretty much off the table for tonight/tomorrow. Maybe Friday night I can put my rainbow propeller hat back on. 

Should be a legit cold day tomorrow.

• Excited 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, T-Town said:

RIP Christine McVie. 

She was the lead singer on Everywhere and that song was recently in Chevy commercials that seemed to come on during every break of every show.     

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Perturbed Member said:

Yep unless you are one of these people like Andrew who has some elevation, showery snow around here is almost always a non event. There are some exceptions of course but we usually need the showers to be quite organized and not moving directly west to east. It is enough of a long shot that I usually set my expectations to 0 when I see this sort of thing on the models. Washington county is especially rough for this kind of stuff. 

I'd probably be decently satisfied with this climate if I moved up to 1500ft or so. If you can't beat the Coast Range, join it. 

The orientation of the snow showers matters a great deal for me. If they come in from the NW like on Monday I will almost always underachieve or get nothing. If they come from the west or better yet the wsw then they enhance over my area. That was part of how come we did so well in early November, the orientation of the showers trained them right along Waldo Hills and into the Silverton hills. 

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

2 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

D*mn that late? Seems like the stuff offshore is moving inland earlier than that. Hard to imagine it taking 8 hours for it to reach Seattle. 

That is what the ECMWF shows... no idea if it will be right.

8 minutes ago, Winterdog said:

31.4 here! 
.46” of melted snow through my gauge today. 
8.91” for the month. 
Current snow situation, the melting has finally ended! 

FDAB20BD-E8FE-4B67-A2B8-201E235A5E76.jpeg

• Like 3

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

3 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

She was the lead singer on Everywhere and that song was recently in Chevy commercials that seemed to come on during every break of every show.     

It’s a really *y song. It sounds cool on the ad because the sped up the track and cleaned up the vocals. When I went back and listened to the Fleetwood Mac original version I couldn’t believe how bad it sucked. 

Edited by SilverFallsAndrew
  • lol 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

2 minutes ago, KingstonWX said:

Thanks a lot. I had just managed to get that song out of my head for the day...

😀

I had it in my head every day for like 2 weeks... every time I turned on the TV I would immediately hear it.