November 2022 PNW weather Discussion. #NoRidgeNovember

Iceresistance

3 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Looks like some folks in Seattle are NOT happy about missing out on the heavy rain

https://komonews.com/news/local/interstate-5-northbound-lanes-shut-down-protesters-freeway-seattle-downtown-traffic-alert#

Those roadways are practically dry! What a sh*thole city…

• Like 1
  • lol 3
  • Sun 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

13 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Looks like some folks in Seattle are NOT happy about missing out on the heavy rain

https://komonews.com/news/local/interstate-5-northbound-lanes-shut-down-protesters-freeway-seattle-downtown-traffic-alert#

Awesome... I'm in Seattle and need to take the bus home... FML. How much trouble do you think the bus would get in for running the protestors over...

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

B8D6E3A4-5CE2-440D-9B71-ABE7F7C44F6B.jpeg

A lot of that’s still phantom snow, though it does seem that there’s a chance for a brief episode where it’s both cold enough to snow and hasn’t dried out yet (but it dries out shortly thereafter). And the ECMWF is far more pessimistic about those chances.

It's called clown range for a reason.

2 minutes ago, Snownerd3000 said:

Awesome... I'm in Seattle and need to take the bus home... FML. How much trouble do you think the bus would get in for running the protestors over...

Question is: why the fk are they even protesting for something happening in Ethiopia? Too bad it didn’t rain here today. 

7 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Question is: why the fk are they even protesting for something happening in Ethiopia? Too bad it didn’t rain here today. 

Great question.  I'm sorry for what is going on in the world but life is hard as it is.  I can't be bothered to worry about every injustice going on in the world and you blocking my way isn't making me sympathetic to your cause, its making pissed at you because its friday afternoon and all I want to do is go home, spend time with my kids, have some beverages and some bud after they go to sleep, put on a movie and model ride with my weather nerd homies.  Don't keep me from these thing and we good ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skagit Weather said:

Looks like Aberdeen is at about 3" for the day. It would still need another inch to crack the top 30 wettest days, but the 5" in 24 hours is more impressive. That would at least make the top 10 wettest calendar days although of course there have probably been many more 24 hour periods wetter than that.

High tide from earlier and the heavy rain is flooding parts of Aberdeen right now, had to run a few errands, it was slow go.  We get more rain up this way with our elevation but don't have much flooding issues here.

Edited by GHweatherChris
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

I think maybe a war just ended or something?

Soooo a war ended and they protest? They want war? Don’t really give a D**n, it’s a free country, protest away, exercise your rights. Just don’t hold up commuters by going on the freeway. 😡

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cloud said:

Because some people care about more than just their own personal bottom line?

Which, needless to say (but I better say it anyway), doesn’t automatically make the tactic of blocking traffic justified.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Snownerd3000 said:

Probably a criminal charge of some sort, quite possibly a felony one.

You believe lethal force is a reasonable response to being delayed getting home?

• lol 1
  • Popcorn 1

4 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Probably a criminal charge of some sort, quite possibly a felony one.

You believe lethal force is a reasonable response to being delayed getting home?

I obviously am kidding. But this isn't the way to make friends nor a way to way to really make people sympathetic to a cause.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Snownerd3000 said:

I obviously am kidding. But this isn't the way to make friends nor a way to way to really make people sympathetic to a cause.

Given how violent and polarized some of the rhetoric in the USA has gotten, it was unfortunately not obvious.

And yes, such tactics do have a potentially high negative cost when it comes to public optics and should not be chosen casually.

4 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

Given how violent and polarized some of the rhetoric in the USA has gotten, it was unfortunately not obvious.

And yes, such tactics do have a potentially high negative cost when it comes to public optics and should not be chosen casually.

Ya i don't even think this has anything ro do with politics but get your point.

Starting to seem like this system may under perform here locally. Just 0.89” storm total so far…0.77” so far today. Was probably due to us hanging onto the rain shadowing longer than expected this morning. Pretty much everywhere else looks close to what the models showed. 

NWS Spokane:  Damaging Wind Storm incoming

Wind: Continued consistent messaging from the ensemble and high
resolution models for the impending strong and damaging winds
tonight. The bottom line is the timing and strength for the winds.
Comparing this event to Jan 2021 and Nov 2015, as many people are
remembering those events, this one is similar in many ways but a
few differences come to the top. Tonight's event will produce
winds similar in strength to 2021 with peak wind gusts of 60-70
mph focused along eastern Washington from Coeur d'Alene to the
Blue Mountains. Not to be forgotten, the east slopes of the
Cascades and the Waterville Plateau will also see quite strong
wind gusts with the cold front passage. Widespread 45-55 mph wind
gusts are expected out of the southwest.

Timing: As of mid afternoon we're seeing some spots already
gusting to 30-40 mph from Tri-cities to the Blue Mountains. The
period of strongest winds looks to be 8 pm through 4 am with the
peak wind gusts (period with the strongest gusts, 60-70 mph)
expected from 11 pm through 2 am. The longer time period will see
persistent elevated sustained winds, which typically produces
damages to trees and power outages. By 6 am Saturday morning, most
of the wind should be tapering down as the cold front pushes east
and we're left with a cold unstable airmass overhead.

Confidence: While this event has been on our focus for several
days, our confidence has continued to rise with the strength and
impact of this event. We have high confidence in this event. Where
our forecast could go wrong will be in the exact strongest wind
speeds and gusts due to an overnight high wind event. This is when
the inversion and mixing come into play and could prevent some of
that peak wind from mixing all to the surface. /Dewey

• Like 2
  • Windy 1

Starting to look like we might have a prolonged cold snap coming up.  Surface gradients remain offshore or northerly pretty consistently right through day 10 after this rain ends.  There are also hints of a deep -EPO episode which usually means dry cold for us.

• Like 4
  • Shivering 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3