November 2022 PNW weather Discussion. #NoRidgeNovember

Iceresistance

Could not imagine living somewhere that the sun doesn't come out for weeks (or even months) and its dark at 4:30. I need my vitamin D.

Also I heard someone talking about moving to California from Oregon today. They said they used to think it was crazy that Californians feel cold when it's 65 outside. But after moving here, they got their California blood and were wearing a light jacket today when it was about 72 outside. Even I had a t-shirt and shorts.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

Could not imagine living somewhere that the sun doesn't come out for weeks or months and its dark at 4:30.

Ugh that's my dream location but with cold/snowy autumns and winters. I may have to move out to Northeast WA in my far future for that. 

But I also need the other extremes of it. I like my summers hot and dry as well with sunsets past 9 PM.

𝘐𝘯 𝘮𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘴,

𝘐 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘰𝘸𝘯.

𝘗𝘶𝘺𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘶𝘱.

Reddit: HotlineMaestro

10 minutes ago, Mr Marine Layer said:

Could not imagine living somewhere that the sun doesn't come out for weeks (or even months) and its dark at 4:30. I need my vitamin D.

Also I heard someone talking about moving to California from Oregon today. They said they used to think it was crazy that Californians feel cold when it's 65 outside. But after moving here, they got their California blood and were wearing a light jacket today when it was about 72 outside. Even I had a t-shirt and shorts.

The sun sets down there about 25 minutes later than Seattle in December... and 15 minutes later than Portland.    Not a big difference.   And you aren't getting much vitamin D there from November-February even when its sunny all day.   The low sun angle limits it.     

But I get the mental aspect of sunny days and pleasant temps.     

I am good with November-February being stormy up here.   We get more sun than you probably think in the winter.     Depends on the pattern.   I start feeling it if we go through April and May and it's still cloudy and damp on most days.    Nothing much bothers me in winter here and traveling warm sunny places breaks it up nicely.  

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Early model runs starts tomorrow morning!  

ECMWF will start around 10 a.m. and p.m. and be done by 11 a.m. and p.m.   Even the EPS will be done before noon and midnight.

• Like 6
  • Excited 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

7 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

The sun sets down there about 25 minutes later than Seattle in December... and 15 minutes later than Portland.    Not a big difference.   And you aren't getting much vitamin D there from November-February even when its sunny all day.   The low sun angle limits it.     

I am good with November-February being stormy up here.   We get more sun than you probably think in the winter.     Depends on the pattern.   I start feeling it if we go through April and May and it's still cloudy and damp on most days.    Nothing much bothers me in winter here and traveling warm sunny places breaks it up nicely.  

Yeah even today we had a lot of sun here

13 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

You would not like it at my parents' house.  

20221105_184219.jpg

I couldn’t go that warm even if I wanted to right now! If I ran the fireplace all day non stop we would probably hit 70 or so. 

3BBA13DA-DD65-4905-9F1C-81DEE2EEFCCA.jpeg

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

3 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

72 degrees in a wood stove heated home feels much different than propane or electric heat same temperature.  Humidity is much lower in the wood stove home 

My grandparents would get the lake house Living room up to near 90 with the wood stove when they retired and lived there full time back in the 80’s and 90’s. I remember it actually felt really nice! 

Edited by MossMan
  • lol 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

4 hours ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

Pretty amazing how heinous the mid range is trending. Not feeling too bad about my call for a near to slightly above average month temp wise. Probably a little drier than average too.

Glad we’re getting some really epic payback for the absolutely unprecedented run of heat mid July through October!

Arguing with mother nature again?   Don't think she is a regular on here.   Probably not seeing your posts.  

• Popcorn 2
  • Troll 2

5 minutes ago, MossMan said:

My grandparents would get the lake house Living room up to near 90 when they retired and lived there full time back in the 80’s and 90’s. I remember it actually felt really nice! 

My wife's dad was always obsessed with wood stove heating in the winter... and with cutting and stacking firewood perfectly all summer. 

It would be like -10 outside and 90+ degrees in living room when we were opening presents for Christmas and everyone was sweating.  I remember sitting by a window and cracking it open just to breathe... eventually he would catch me and I would get in trouble.  😀

• Like 1
  • lol 2

7 minutes ago, MossMan said:

My grandparents would get the lake house Living room up to near 90 with the wood stove when they retired and lived there full time back in the 80’s and 90’s. I remember it actually felt really nice! 

No wonder you like 100 degrees weather. Your grandparents raised you to be a satanic heat miser! 

• lol 2

1 hour ago, TT-SEA said:

Yes, but the sun rises almost an hour later here.

19 minutes ago, The Blob said:

Yes, but the sun rises almost an hour later here.

I know.  He said he didn't want to live in a place where it gets dark at 4:30 but it gets dark at 4:45 down there.  

Up to 40F. We have power and wifi but we think a phone line is down because we can't recieve texts or phone calls or use mobile data. We had some graupel earlier.

• Snow 2
  • Shivering 2

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

3 hours ago, Gradient Keeper said:

Here it comes! Here comes that unseasonably early November cold shot that was once looking very cold only to then look fairly cold only to be watered down to very chilly air mass! We've all said it at some point in our lives, but imagine if the trough was centered 200-300 miles further east.

cira-rammb-slider---goes-18---full_disk---band_15-opacity-100---20221105210020-20221105225020.gif

At one point it was a steak. Then it became meatloaf and mashed potatoes. Now it's a meal off the kid's menu. I suppose some fish sticks and a few tater tots will have to be good enough. Where is the Gorton's Fisherman these days?

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

4 minutes ago, Chowders said:

Made it to the cabin.  Fire is stoked, beer, pizza, ready for the snow storm tomorrow.  10 to 16 inches forecast for Winthrop.  Lot of friends thought I was crazy to drive over from the west side for one night but I wanted to be here for the first big snow fall.  Going to watch football tomorrow and enjoy the day and head home after dinner.IMG_20221105_152808.thumb.jpg.b2c9d2bfb32f58d12ddf1ef9cce922eb.jpgIMG_20221105_193805.thumb.jpg.f26fca38869c5a14d4ef2c2dd5c26e89.jpg

That pizza and beer look soooooo good!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Chowders said:

Made it to the cabin.  Fire is stoked, beer, pizza, ready for the snow storm tomorrow.  10 to 16 inches forecast for Winthrop.  Lot of friends thought I was crazy to drive over from the west side for one night but I wanted to be here for the first big snow fall.  Going to watch football tomorrow and enjoy the day and head home after dinner.IMG_20221105_152808.thumb.jpg.b2c9d2bfb32f58d12ddf1ef9cce922eb.jpgIMG_20221105_193805.thumb.jpg.f26fca38869c5a14d4ef2c2dd5c26e89.jpg

OOOO is that from that Highway 20 pizza place? If so, good choice! Love em.

• Like 1