November 2022 PNW weather Discussion. #NoRidgeNovember

Iceresistance

22 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Going to be very cold at your place a lot this winter.

Yeah! Even thogh we get shadowed a lot, it is fun to get really cold weather. My wife would gladly trade your rainfall totals for ours though. TWL, how does Eugene/ South WIlliamette do in El Nino years? Do you fare better than most of the posters or is it a matter of being too far south for La Nina and too far north for El Nino? Living in Norcal, some Nino years were better than others but some years of Nina weren'terrible due to being in between/border of the jet.

We are glad we fixed our leaky spigot outside last month. Our neighbor works for the city and we were able to get a replacement part for only 26 cents at our local hardware shop. During the Jan event we almost had a major ice jam in the pipe but were able to get it going just in time.

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

1 minute ago, LowerGarfield said:

Yeah! Even thogh we get shadowed a lot, it is fun to get really cold weather. My wife would gladly trade your rainfall totals for ours though. TWL, how does Eugene/ South WIlliamette do in El Nino years? Do you fare better than most of the posters or is it a matter of being too far south for La Nina and too far north for El Nino? Living in Norcal, some Nino years were better than others but some years of Nina weren'terrible due to being in between/border of the jet.

We are glad we fixed our leaky spigot outside last month. Our neighbor works for the city and we were able to get a replacement part for only 26 cents at our local hardware shop. During the Jan event we almost had a major ice jam in the pipe but were able to get it going just in time.

Depends on the year TBH. 1968-69 was a nino and was legendary. Then you have years like 1997-98 which was a complete dud.

• Like 2

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

This should kill any yellow jackets that are still alive or not sleeping.

IMG_20221106_175735059.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excited 2

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

1 minute ago, CliffMassYelledAtMe said:

So GFS is at 9 tonight and Euro at 10? I can never keep the schedule straight.

GFS starts at 7:30... ECMWF at 9:50

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Excited 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 minutes ago, FroYoBro said:

Getting some 39 degree rain right now. Very chilly day for November! Stayed around 40 degrees all day after the front moved through. 

Chilly day here too. Afternoon high of just 41 after a midnight high of 47 and late morning low of 37. Sounds like no snow for either of us though, so I’m thinking everyone should make us a gofundme 😔 

Just to reiterate again, I did not get snow today 😞 

• Like 1
  • lol 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Sad 2
  • Sick 1
  • Downvote 3

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

4 hours ago, Gradient Keeper said:

Day 3 (Past 8 runs) Shows even better here the trough holding over us.

trend-gfs-2022110618-f072.500h_anom_na.gif

Great November so far. Atmospheric river with windstorm up north, rain/snow around the lowlands, and probably some cold mins and east wind. Now we just need a massive arctic blast in the second half of the month

• Like 7

Just now, TacomaWx said:

Man it’s reaaally close to snow in a lot of the southern willamette valley but it’s just not quite there yet. 

Yup, 35 with some moderate rain.

• Like 3
  • Weenie 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

1 hour ago, Perturbance said:

270'.  As of 5:20 pm there's still flakes coming down, sticking to the grass with slush on the roadways with about 0.5" accumulation.  32.5° and 1.59" total precip on the day so far, with the bulk of that falling between 4:30 am and 10:30 am before it started changing over to snow.  

I think this would be the earliest accumulating snow for the Corvallis area since 11/5/1973 when similar amounts generally fell.

• Like 3
  • scream 1

About to take off for the flight back to Seattle. Things look like they will be starting to get pretty interesting when I land. I feel like that deformation band that is forming could surprise some people.

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 48

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

Sorry for my absence last night. Went out to Applebee's last night and it wrecked my stomach. Anyhow. Back at it tonight!

I think some of you must have been thinking Cold and SNOW!!!! as it led to a fun surprise for quite a few of you. There may be some lowland snow chances through Monday night before the upper low digs further south and drier, continental air spills southward from Canada. After that point it will be drying out turning sunny and crispy with a bit of a Winter chill! Well, somewhat. A bit later this week it appears we will be seeing a pattern conducive for cold pool development in the Columbia Basin and central/eastern Gorge. That will lead to chilly east winds for the Western Gorge and PDX east of I-205 mostly. Long range perhaps another block develops over Alaska, but it could be too far east to put us into another cold pattern. We shall see....

Think Cold and SNOW!!!! C'MON!!!!

❄️☃️❄️⛄️❄️🌬❄️☃️❄️⛄️❄️🌬

• Like 4
  • Sick 3

3 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:
Sorry for my absence last night. Went out to Applebee's last night and it wrecked my stomach. Anyhow. Back at it tonight!

I think some of you must have been thinking Cold and SNOW!!!! as it led to a fun surprise for quite a few of you. There may be some lowland snow chances through Monday night before the upper low digs further south and drier, continental air spills southward from Canada. After that point it will be drying out turning sunny and crispy with a bit of a Winter chill! Well, somewhat. A bit later this week it appears we will be seeing a pattern conducive for cold pool development in the Columbia Basin and central/eastern Gorge. That will lead to chilly east winds for the Western Gorge and PDX east of I-205 mostly. Long range perhaps another block develops over Alaska, but it could be too far east to put us into another cold pattern. We shall see....

❄️☃️❄️⛄️❄️🌬❄️☃️❄️⛄️❄️🌬

Do you think any east winds will make it over the west hills and accelerate down to here? We get some really strong east wind in certain situations but not all the time. Downslope east winds from the cascades also don't seem to be that strong here. I think just gap winds are stronger

• Windy 1

6 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:

❄️☃️❄️⛄️❄️🌬❄️☃️❄️⛄️❄️🌬

Crapplebee’s will do that to you! 

• lol 3

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

1 minute ago, Doinko said:

Do you think any east winds will make it over the west hills and accelerate down to here? We get some really strong east wind in certain situations but not all the time. Downslope east winds from the cascades also don't seem to be that strong here. I think just gap winds are stronger

If I remember the WRF sounding looked like a relatively shallow cold layer especially late, so no downslope expected.

• Like 1