November 2022 PNW weather Discussion. #NoRidgeNovember

Iceresistance

1 hour ago, MossMan said:

I remember one fairly quick icing event in my area and that might have been it! Couldn’t remember how regional it was. For some reason my weather memory between 2000 and 2005 is not there. 

Yeah, I've only seen two freezing rain events up here in the last twenty years. One was during December 2008 when we picked up maybe 0.1" on top of our already bountiful snowpack and one must have been in 2004 when maybe it was up to 0.25" or something. Or maybe less, I just remember it not being particularly significant.

• Like 1

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

12Z GFS shows basically no precipitation for the next 16 days for western WA except for a quick hitting snowstorm next Thursday.   Makes perfect sense... very typical November with lots of sun and an occasional snowfall.  🤨

gfs-deterministic-namer-qpf_anom_16day-9377600.png

Crazy, I wonder if this coming winter retains the -EPO pattern.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Sonny Summers said:

My brother lives in Granite Falls. He had a pretty significant ice storm in January 2012. He had to remove some trees that were permanently damaged. I'm not sure how widespread the ice storm was that year.

Interesting, I didn’t realize that! I know places south of Lynnwood had some icing with massive icing the further south (and east I think) you got. We stayed all snow at my old location west of Smokey Point. 

• Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

36 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

12Z GFS shows basically no precipitation for the next 16 days for western WA except for a quick hitting snowstorm next Thursday.   Makes perfect sense... very typical November with lots of sun and an occasional snowfall.  🤨

gfs-deterministic-namer-qpf_anom_16day-9377600.png

La Nino

it's a thing

1 minute ago, MossMan said:

Interesting, I didn’t realize that! I know places south of Lynnwood had some icing with massive icing the further south (and east I think) you got. We stayed all snow at my old location west of Smokey Point. 

I was surprised he got ice rather than snow. Many areas got a decent snowfall with the storm. He is usually more likely to get snow. It was a strange storm.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Phishy Wx said:

wind kept us from bottoming out.  got down to 23 at the house.  was suppose to drop to 15.  Maybe tonight will be less windy and we can plummet

Felts Field dropped down to 18. The current dp is 21. The NWS has fog in the forecast. You'll likely be colder tomorrow morning.

• Like 1
  • Shivering 1

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Hey all. Wow it’s been a ride. Long story short, last week I had a bad reaction to a medication and nearly died. I just got out of the hospital a few days ago. Not 100% back yet, but am grateful to still be here after a stretch of bad luck so prolific it almost has to be scripted by the cosmos. 😆

Love all u crazies. Grateful to be given another chance to track what should be an endless barrage of blizzards and arctic fronts this winter.

Sorry for the stretch of luck and glad to see you still kicking. You're back just in time for the Nov 1985's younger less potent brother to kick in.

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

Doesn't look like we'll have a day at or above a high of 38-40 degrees in the next ten days.

I'm going to an Idaho Vandals game on Saturday. While I think football was meant to be played outside, I am so glad it will be inside this week. That's why we try to go to early season Cougars games.

• Shivering 2

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

1668859200-gRQt2fiLGd8.png

I don't know, there is potential here and all 3 models show basically the same strong ridge going into AK.  Lots to get down in the details but the overall pattern of strong ridge and almost a N S shot right from the Arctic to NW is present.  It could be but could also be amazing.

• Like 4

Guest administrator
1 hour ago, MossMan said:

I remember 2012 and 1996(?).

In 2012, I was living in Bellevue, just next to the Microsoft campus. We were just on ZR/GR/SN line, with a coworker in Seattle getting snow, DT Bellevue getting graupel, and Renton south getting freezing rain. Bonney Lake was hit hard with nearly every parking lot tree seeing some damage and some stands of cottonwoods getting shredded. My parents lost power for a day and all of the remaing snow had been glazed over.

1996 was the big one, but I can't find much (I'm not looking that hard, so that might be the problem), but I do remember that Bonney Lake had a couple inches of ice, with branches and power lines down everywhere. I think that was the same storm where the Everett marina collapsed.

As for the topography, on a macro scale it could work, at least Tacoma to Stanwood, where marine or continental influence isn't as direct. The valleys though, like the Snohomish, Green River, and Snoqualmie, would get wrecked, and with some of the new transmission lines up since 1996, I'd expect it'd be crippling.

2012 was a fun one. Was living in West Seattle at the time. The forecast was for a shot of snow then a quick warm-up to mild rain. I woke to rain on the morning of the 12th, but oddly, things didn’t look like they were melting out there. Stepped out the front door and was greeted by still-frigid temperatures and the distinctive sound raindrops make as they freeze on impact.

North of about Downtown Seattle it stayed as snow basically throughout the whole event.

• Like 5
It's called clown range for a reason.

12 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

2012 was a fun one. Was living in West Seattle at the time. The forecast was for a shot of snow then a quick warm-up to mild rain. I woke to rain on the morning of the 12th, but oddly, things didn’t look like they were melting out there. Stepped out the front door and was greeted by still-frigid temperatures and the distinctive sound raindrops make as they freeze on impact.

North of about Downtown Seattle it stayed as snow basically throughout the whole event.

I remember it started drizzling here during the afternoon with a temp in the upper teens and I told my wife this is going to be bad.   Woke up the next morning to no power and what sounded like gunshots outside every few minutes which was branches breaking off the trees in the forest behind our house.

• Like 4
  • scream 1
  • Shivering 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

January 2012 was a really solid event…10.5” of snow that month but the snow depth only got to about 8” at its peak. Then we had 1” of freezing rain fall. This is the only ice storm I’ve seen in my life besides some minor ice accumulation in 2008 IIRC. It was crazy how much ice accumulated on everything and some of the damage to trees in my nieghboorhood is still visible today. 

• Like 6

I don’t have many pics from the 2012 event since that was right before I switched to the IPHONE. Had a Samsung that met it’s demise and everything in it. But I do have this pic of my old Jetta! That was a fun week! 

35A1F2AC-BC9C-4EA5-8AFD-8481B252F471.jpeg

• Like 7

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!