November 2022 PNW weather Discussion. #NoRidgeNovember

Iceresistance

We're about to head into negative territory across the board on precipitation for the year and obviously since Oct. 

On Wednesday, I posted a +0.47 for the year, we're now +0.04. 

Heading towards dangerous territory for the water situation next year if we don't improve next month or even the winter. Not an alarmist post, it's reality. 

This month can still be saved for average precipitation if we can get something like the end of Oct. 

Capture.PNG

• Sun 1
  • Rain 1
  • Sick 1

24 minutes ago, Cloud said:

😑

qpf_acc.us_nw.png

I think there will be a big burst of precip before we go into some big time cold later in the season.  Way too early to be freaking out about major precip shortages.  WA has done fine for years now other than some very dry summers.

• Like 1
  • lol 1
  • Popcorn 1
  • Downvote 1
  • Facepalm 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I think there will be a big burst of precip before we go into some big time cold later in the season.  Way too early to be freaking out about major precip shortages.  WA has done fine for years now other than some very dry summers.

The irony of these two statements. As if one is given and the other isn't. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Cloud said:

The irony of these two statements. As if one is given and the other isn't. 

I just don't get the people that freak out about lack of rain on here.  It always comes.  You would have hated 1936-37 even though it was one of the coldest and snowiest winters of the 20th century.  As I've mentioned before....I've seen enough rain for a lifetime here.  On the other hand I know we have to have it, and that it will happen.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

5 hours ago, snow_wizard said:

Speaking of weather instruments.  I was just checking to see if the price of ultrasonic anemometers has come down and there are some that are very affordable now.  No moving parts and incredibly accurate!  I first heard about these a few years ago and the price was astronomical at that time.  Might have to think about getting one.

Just ordered this Tempest weather station… haptic rain sensor… ultrasonic anemometer.. gets very good reviews. https://weatherflow.com/tempest-weather-system/

• Like 3
  • Excited 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 minutes ago, markjb said:

Just ordered this Tempest weather station… haptic rain sensor… ultrasonic anemometer.. gets very good reviews. https://weatherflow.com/tempest-weather-system/

Looks awesome.  I'm shocked how fast this technology became affordable.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

4 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I just don't get the people that freak out about lack of rain on here.  It always comes.  You would have hated 1936-37 even though it was one of the coldest and snowiest winters of the 20th century.  As I've mentioned before....I've seen enough rain for a lifetime here.  On the other hand I know we have to have it, and that it will happen.

True. 40-yr. trend is flat.

image.thumb.png.b71801d0e0512ab71291110d22f08701.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, joelgombiner said:

True. 40-yr. trend is flat.

image.thumb.png.b71801d0e0512ab71291110d22f08701.png

Just an occasional dry year here and there.  We always mange to get through them.  Interestingly 1985 is the driest year on there and also the coldest in that time period BTW.  A truly awesome year for cold and snow lovers, but it was dry.

• Like 4

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

36 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

You’ve gotten pretty shrill with this opinion lately. A lot of people who live west of the Cascades are ok with our rainy climate. It has its own beauty with mossy forests, glaciers, etc. You just wish you could move east of the mountains but you don’t have the means, so you spend all your time wanting this climate to be something it’s not. Would love to see you be able to move over there and finally be at peace someday.

• Like 1

Summer ☀️ grows while Winter ❄️  goes

46 minutes ago, markjb said:

That looks sweet. 329 seems like a good deal if it functions well. The Davis ones are getting kind of pricey last time I looked. For the price I’ve found the Davis rain gauge to be a bit disappointing at times. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Cascadia_Wx said:

You’ve gotten pretty shrill with this opinion lately. A lot of people who live west of the Cascades are ok with our rainy climate. It has its own beauty with mossy forests, glaciers, etc. You just wish you could move east of the mountains but you don’t have the means, so you spend all your time wanting this climate to be something it’s not. Would love to see you be able to move over there and finally be at peace someday.

I really like our climate even though I bitchh about it from time to time. There's just something about the rarity of extreme cold/snowy/rainy events that make them so much easier to appreciate when they do happen from time to time. It's so cool to see your own neighborhood occasionally covered in snow and how everyone around you reacts to it. If it were to occur all the time, it would quickly lose its novelty. If that doesn't work out often enough, there are endless miles of deep snow an hour away during the winter. I wouldn't trade our climate for anywhere in the country. Anyone that hasn't hiked in an old growth forest and lives here is really missing out. Very few places on earth are like it. I also love our dry/warm/hot summers though, although I know that you don't. Nobody's preferences are the same. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

That looks sweet. 329 seems like a good deal if it functions well. The Davis ones are getting kind of pricey last time I looked. For the price I’ve found the Davis rain gauge to be a bit disappointing at times. 

I'd be interested in how that anemometer performs in the long run compared to the standard spinning cups. I've grown fond of the spinning cups. A weather station without moving parts seems odd. If it works though and has reliability, that could be a game changer.

• Like 1

Just now, Gradient Keeper said:

30-40mph out here this morning. Nice day for a walk.

Your area probably sees a really strong east wind usually in our bigger events? The strongest east wind I remember was on January 7th-8th, 2017 with the snow/ice storm (before the huge snowstorm) and February 6th, 2014. I think we get some downsloping east wind off of the west hills so in some situations we can also see a decent east wind, which is nice.

What was the wind like in December 2008? I wasn't here then to experience the massive snowstorms but I think the big storm on the 20th had a strong east wind.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:
Through Day 7 much on the 00z ECMWF run unless you like east wind. A lot of that next week!

A lot of inversionary cold on this run.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

39F and very pleasant out there. Mostly clear.

• Shivering 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

2 minutes ago, Doinko said:

Your area probably sees a really strong east wind usually in our bigger events? The strongest east wind I remember was on January 7th-8th, 2017 with the snow/ice storm (before the huge snowstorm) and February 6th, 2014. I think we get some downsloping east wind off of the west hills so in some situations we can also see a decent east wind, which is nice.

What was the wind like in December 2008? I wasn't here then to experience the massive snowstorms but I think the big storm on the 20th had a strong east wind.

It gets pretty wild out here yes. January 2017 35-50mph nothing crazy. December 2008 we had two periods of strong winds 45+mph, but the strongest winds I can remember hmmm.... I think February 2005 with a High Wind Warning, and November 2014 the big Veteran's Day east wind storm and backdoor cold. I believe other big events were January 2010 or 2011.

• Like 1

Would be interesting to ponder the strongest periods of wintertime easterlies in the past fifty years. I'd have to imagine very early February 1996 is up there, along with January 2009 and (possibly) February 2006.

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

6 minutes ago, Requiem said:

Would be interesting to ponder the strongest periods of wintertime easterlies in the past fifty years. I'd have to imagine very early February 1996 is up there, along with January 2009 and (possibly) February 2006.

What about early January 2004? I've heard that there were some really strong east winds and blizzard conditions in the metro area

• Windy 1

Also this is outside of the 50 year timeframe but late December 1968 also looks really windy. Sustained winds of 28mph from the ESE at PDX so probably some much higher gusts.

Here's some data from the Bethany COOP station during that month. One of the files is hourly temperature, one of them is hourly wind speed and the other is data for the month. 12/7 on the 30th (Officially it says 15/7 but that's probably because the station's recording time) with 8.0" of snow and sustained winds of 30mph from the NE for three hours straight, probably some gusts much higher.
What's even crazier is that the next month, they recorded a sustained wind speed of 35mph from the NE with another huge dumping of snow

IPS-2A9AF0BC-957D-4E92-90B5-6FED87701C8D.pdf IPS-8A6A9DAA-1CD6-4522-A924-03FFB84D9DC3.pdf IPS-482F7E64-E3F2-4667-9979-2D539959809E.pdf

• Like 2
  • Windy 1

9 minutes ago, Doinko said:

What about early January 2004? I've heard that there were some really strong east winds and blizzard conditions in the metro area

Strength-wise I'm not entirely sure those were top-tier strength. That winter storm was certainly no slouch, though 

• Like 4

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:

Since we're talking about east winds.... Years ago I went up to the Vista House with 3 other friends. When we left my house around 2 AM the winds were gusting 40-50mph. As we headed east further into Gresham it was a bit stronger. Along Scenic Highway the usual lull until we climbed up the hill from Springdale into Corbett where the gusts were blowing the car into the other lane precariously close to off the road completely. Thank God there were no other vehicles out. Easily 70mph+. The 3 mile trek from Corbett to the Vista House was wild branches and debris down everywhere. We get to the parking lot east facing of course and the wind was unbelievable. It was difficult to even open the door, but finally we manage to get out of the car. I remember standing maybe 15-20' from the car in the parking lot and it was windy, but no big gusts... yet. Then I heard a horrific roar building to the east it took seconds to reach us, and wow. I've never heard anything like that it was so violent and deafening. I stood and changed my stance to brace for the wind gusts and I was blown around like nothing.

I'm not slight build either. The gusts blasted through, then an eerie brief lull, and then the next round of horrific roar building. It was terrifying sounding and even louder than the previous 4-5. It must have been a peak gust. This time it blew me off balanced pushing me right up the stairs slamming me into the glass doors of the Vista House. I had to wait for the relative next lull to manage my way to the railing along the southeast facing stairs. My other friends remained much closer to the car lol. It took a human chain of the 4 of us to be able to get back to the car. I have no doubt the gusts were 120mph or higher as I've been up there in 70-90mph winds which are crazy strong, but didn't hold a candle to that night. I think the highest peak gust ever measured with a handheld was 122mph? and on the sensor itself on the building 104? which equates to 120-130mph along the southeast facing stairs. It was truly an amazing experience, exhilarating, terrifying for the first 15-20 minutes, and I would love to do it all over again!

I only started getting into weather in February 2021 so I don't have nearly the amount of experience as everyone in this forum, I really hope to experience 100mph+ winds at Vista House at some point!

• Like 2
  • Windy 1

Night shift?

• Excited 2

Personal Stats:

Venmo

I'll have to give November 2014 a shout-out as well-- really intense mountain-wave type event on Veteran's Day.

• Like 2
  • Excited 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

4 minutes ago, Requiem said:

I'll have to give November 2014 a shout-out as well-- really intense mountain-wave type event on Veteran's Day.

That feeling of the wind ripping down the McKenzie is amazing.

• Like 3
  • Windy 1

Personal Stats:

Venmo