November 2022 PNW weather Discussion. #NoRidgeNovember

Iceresistance

Just now, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Unfortunately my two youngest are in the hospital with RSV. My son is being discharged here in a bit and I’ll be taking him home, my wife will be staying up here with our daughter. She’s in pretty good spirits,  but she still needs to be on oxygen. Ugh. 

They sent us up to Dornbaecker Children’s hospital at OHSU. Quite frankly the condition of this hospital is absolutely appalling, I’ve been to a lot of hospitals in my time for work, and I think Good Samaritan in Albany pre renovation is the worst I’ve ever seen. This isn’t that bad, but it’s pretty bad. The care has been pretty decent. We were lucky to get a room in ER, a lot of kids had to lay in beds in the hallway. 

RSV/Bronch are everywhere right now. It’s awful. Sending good thoughts your way

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Unfortunately my two youngest are in the hospital with RSV. My son is being discharged here in a bit and I’ll be taking him home, my wife will be staying up here with our daughter. She’s in pretty good spirits,  but she still needs to be on oxygen. Ugh. 

They sent us up to Dornbaecker Children’s hospital at OHSU. Quite frankly the condition of this hospital is absolutely appalling, I’ve been to a lot of hospitals in my time for work, and I think Good Samaritan in Albany pre renovation is the worst I’ve ever seen. This isn’t that bad, but it’s pretty bad. The care has been pretty decent. We were lucky to get a room in ER, a lot of kids had to lay on beds in the hallway. 

D**n dude, hope they get better soon! We can bring food!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

4 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

They sent us up to Dornbaecker Children’s hospital at OHSU. Quite frankly the condition of this hospital is absolutely appalling, I’ve been to a lot of hospitals in my time for work, and I think Good Samaritan in Albany pre renovation is the worst I’ve ever seen. This isn’t that bad, but it’s pretty bad. The care has been pretty decent. We were lucky to get a room in ER, a lot of kids had to lay on beds in the hallway. 

Uggghh... horrible story all around.    Hoping everyone gets better quickly and you can get out of there.  

• Thanks 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

5 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

Sorry to hear that Andrew. Best wishes towards you and your littles. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you everyone. We’re holding up pretty well overall. I’d say one strength my wife and I have in our relationship is when things are tough that s when we are most on the same page… She definitely keeps a cooler head than me. 

• Like 6

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

1 hour ago, Gradient Keeper said:

He seems to be in a weird mood. I can't pinpoint what's going on, but I just want to stick to weather and no drama. Outstanding.

Not weird at all.  And very much sticking to weather and no drama.   Seems like Jesse wants to make it personal.   Best to ignore him.  👍

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

On a weather related note. According to

Matt Zaffino, PDX will break its record for consecutive dry days in November. Set in…. 1956.

• Like 1
  • scream 1
  • Shivering 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

1 minute ago, Gradient Keeper said:
Looking at IR Loop I'm not convinced the ridge is going to begin to scoot east tomorrow or even Sunday. That system out there is being shredded and shunted back to the west. Models trying to break down the ridge too soon.
cira-rammb-slider---goes-18---full_disk---band_15-opacity-100---20221118232020-20221119071020(1).gif

Models hold off precip until Tuesday.    3 mores days of watching it be shredded.

• Like 1
  • Sick 1

1 minute ago, RentonHillTC said:

To be fair day 10 is ok. But after that looks like things are moving too fast for the means to show anything

27EC2A8D-6302-4443-B9BA-7C4BFE028A28.png

I mean... it has to rain sometimes in November right?   At least once or twice?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

I hope she is better very soon and you're all back home again!

• Thanks 1

Watching all the snow videos from the Great Lakes with such envy. Might convince me to move to Buffalo or anywhere along the eastern shores of those lakes in 20 years or so... good place to "retire" 😅

• Like 1
  • Snow 1

𝘐𝘯 𝘮𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘴,

𝘐 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘰𝘸𝘯.

𝘗𝘶𝘺𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘶𝘱.

Reddit: HotlineMaestro

Down to 21F

• Shivering 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Pressure Gradients - UPDATE
Easterly Gorge/Gap gradients are really humming this morning exceeding model projections. The wind is very gusty at this hour near west Gresham. I see Corbett has gusted just under 70mph and Crown Point at 81mph. I think winds east of I-205 will remain quite gusty to strong for a good portion of the day and definitely in the western Gorge. A bit calmer winds tonight and Sunday.

5 AM
[Gorge/Gap Gradients]
PDX-DLS
: -9.5mb
TTD-DLS: -8.9mb
[Cross Cascade Gradients]
PDX-YKM
: -9.8mb
PDX-MWH: -9.7mb
PDX-GEG: -8.7mb
OTH-GEG: -14.1mb
*Legend: PDX = Portland, DLS = The Dalles, TTD = Troutdale, YKM = Yakima, MWH = Moses Lake, GEG = Spokane, OTH = North Bend
A -Negative value denotes easterly/northerly flow
A +Positive value denotes westerly/onshore flow/

What's a Pressure Gradient?
A pressure gradient measures the difference in Barometric Pressure between two locations. For example, PDX pressure is currently 30.34 in and The Dalles is at 30.60 in. Higher pressure at The Dalles and lower pressure at Portland induces an east wind through the Gorge.
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:
Pressure Gradients - UPDATE
Easterly Gorge/Gap gradients are really humming this morning exceeding model projections. The wind is very gusty at this hour near west Gresham. I see Corbett has gusted just under 70mph and Crown Point at 81mph. I think winds east of I-205 will remain quite gusty to strong for a good portion of the day and definitely in the western Gorge. A bit calmer winds tonight and Sunday.

5 AM
[Gorge/Gap Gradients]
PDX-DLS
: -9.5mb
TTD-DLS: -8.9mb
[Cross Cascade Gradients]
PDX-YKM
: -9.8mb
PDX-MWH: -9.7mb
PDX-GEG: -8.7mb
OTH-GEG: -14.1mb
*Legend: PDX = Portland, DLS = The Dalles, TTD = Troutdale, YKM = Yakima, MWH = Moses Lake, GEG = Spokane, OTH = North Bend
A -Negative value denotes easterly/northerly flow
A +Positive value denotes westerly/onshore flow/

What's a Pressure Gradient?
A pressure gradient measures the difference in Barometric Pressure between two locations. For example, PDX pressure is currently 30.34 in and The Dalles is at 30.60 in. Higher pressure at The Dalles and lower pressure at Portland induces an east wind through the Gorge.

Good stuff. You are the Gradient Giver. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, AlTahoe said:

Watching that now. looks gorgeous there.

Yeah for sure.  Bummed we never made it to a brawl matchup while my son was in school there.  We tried to do a family reunion his freshman year since most of the family is either a cat or a griz, but we couldn't get organized.  We said....That's ok, we will make it happen in 2020.  🙄

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

College day day is in @Kayla's neighborhood this morning.  It's a balmy 1 degree on campus this morning.

22 here, the coldest morning yet this month.

Just turned it on... thanks for the heads up.    Its nice to see them going to the small schools.    And it looks absolutely frigid.    I can feel the pain through my screen!  

• Like 6

34 at SEA and 40 in North Bend this morning.  

We got home before dawn.   Still a decent amount of leaves on the trees in the yard.    There is a little breeze out there but it honestly doesn't feel that cold even after being Florida for over a week.   

I am sure I would feel differently if I lived in the cold air trap that is the sandy flat plain where OLM is located.  😀

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Just turned it on... thanks for the heads up.    Its nice to see them going to the small schools.    And it looks absolutely frigid.    I can feel the pain through my screen!  

They have said more than once that this is the coldest Game Day ever.  It is so open there where the campus is, you really feel any wind that is blowing.  The game my wife and I went to his freshman year was in the teens if I remember correctly.  We were lucky to sit in a section of the stadium that was sheltered from the wind.

• Like 2

It was 14 degrees at the station just down the road when I woke up. It is cold.

• Shivering 2

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)