November 2022 PNW weather Discussion. #NoRidgeNovember

Iceresistance

Some spots nearby got down to 21F last night... That's pretty top-tier.

• Shivering 1

Weather stats for MBY

Snowfall:

-Total snowfall since joining: 50.25"

-2018-19: 21"

-2019-20: 2.5"

-2020-21: 13"

-2021-22: 8.75"

-2022-23: 5.75"

-2023-24*: 0.25"

-Most recent snowfall: 0.25”; January 17th, 2024

-Largest snowfall (single storm): 8.5"; February 12-13, 2021

-Largest snow depth: 14"; 1:30am February 12th, 2019

Temperatures:

-Warmest: 109F; June 28th, 2021

-Coldest: 13F; December 27th, 2021

-Phreeze Count 2023-24: 31

4 hours ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

Lol today was the coldest day at EUG since Jan 2017. Pathetic and depressing. Cannot wait to move my family away from here.

Has it taken anyone else here almost 6 years to have a return low temp take that long to come around?

We "only" got down to 20F here so we are still yet to see ours. Got down to 19F last winter but not colder. D**n variability.

I regret that I have but one weenie to give for that post.

• Like 3
It's called clown range for a reason.

The 18z GFS is far from terrible.  GOA ridge is back.

Looking great for a cold one tonight.  The east wind has died in all but a few areas.  Going to crash hard!

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

9 freezes so far is pretty decent and a bunch of them in a row. Very nice!

Currently 46F and beautiful sunshine on the porch watching ballgames.

• Like 2
  • Shivering 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Michael Dickson will be faced with a similar situation here in a few weeks!

C3F0B89B-0E97-4D66-9888-38D18F1722C2.jpeg

Edited by MossMan
  • Like 5
  • Excited 1
  • Snow 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Clouds indeed here as well. Might touch freezing before midnight but anything after that is a bonus.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

2 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

High cloud alert.  It’s clouding over.  Unlikely tonight will be as cold as last in this area. 

Yeah... ECMWF shows high clouds and a batch of mid-level clouds later tonight.    But tonight is still the coldest night shown for the next week.

• Like 2

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

2 hours ago, ShawniganLake said:

We would need another inch to catch up with 2019. Looks like that will probably happen next week. I had forgotten how dry 2019 was though. 

It was super dry…easily the driest I’d recorded. That month was incredibly boring after September and October were very active. 

• Like 1

Moving up to WA next year and want to try to go somewhere that gets a reasonable amount of snow. Is there anywhere within 45 minutes of Redmond that gets significantly more snow than the rest of Seattle area? Thinking there realistically isn't anywhere within that radius that will get significantly more than any other suburb, but maybe there's something I've overlooked. Right now I will probably just look at houses out in the far east part of Redmond where the elevation goes up around 500', but let me know if there's something better!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SpaceRace22 said:

Moving up to WA next year and want to try to go somewhere that gets a reasonable amount of snow. Is there anywhere within 45 minutes of Redmond that gets significantly more snow than the rest of Seattle area? Thinking there realistically isn't anywhere within that radius that will get significantly more than any other suburb, but maybe there's something I've overlooked. Right now I will probably just look at houses out in the far east part of Redmond where the elevation goes up around 500', but let me know if there's something better!

Be neighbors with Tim or Randy. North bend can do pretty well and it’s closer. I know the higher elevation places in issaquah can do well. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, SpaceRace22 said:

I would go north and/or east of Redmond. Better chance of catching the convergence zone. Often sets up near the King-Snohomish line. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

I've had a Mastodon account for years. Only in the past two weeks has it really hit anything approaching a critical mass of interesting people. Thanks, Elon!

How dare Elon allow free speech on Twitter.  Authoritarian lunatic right there!

• Like 2
  • Popcorn 1
  • Downvote 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, joelgombiner said:

I would go north and/or east of Redmond. Better chance of catching the convergence zone. Often sets up near the King-Snohomish line. 

Yes.  I would definitely try to lean on the north and east side of things.  Maybe something on Novelty Hill Road.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, joelgombiner said:

Yeah somewhere the C-zone is frequently around and with a bit of elevation wouldn’t be a bad bet. If I’m thinking of somewhere within 45 minutes of Redmond basically in the convergence zone or the highlands near Tiger/Cougar mountain. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Be neighbors with Tim or Randy. North bend can do pretty well and it’s closer. I know the higher elevation places in issaquah can do well. 

Randy is too far away.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, TacomaWx said:

Yeah somewhere the C-zone is frequently around and with a bit of elevation wouldn’t be a bad bet. If I’m thinking of somewhere within 45 minutes of Redmond basically in the convergence zone or the highlands near Tiger/Cougar mountain. 

That far south you definitely need elevation.  I think the C-Zone is better unless you go way east.  When I lived in Redmond a long time ago we did pretty well on a hill about 3 or 4 miles south of the county line.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:
I didn't get out of the 30's today with a high temp of 39.4. Current temp: 37.0, Dewpoint 24.8 with continued gusty and ice cold east wind!

If this pattern were to continue a few more days you would probably be seeing highs in the mid 30s or so.  Cold air is really building over the Basin.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

The mean on the 850s on the GEFS drops to around -2 at the end of the month.  Getting better.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

If this pattern were to continue a few more days you would probably be seeing highs in the mid 30s or so.  Cold air is really building over the Basin.

Yep. We were heading that way, but when the cold air thickened up deepening sloshing over the Cascades the downslope winds actually warmed me up several degrees. Today the wind has been nearly entirely confined to the gap/Gorge, so the low level cold intensified again. Another 2-3 days as you mentioned and I'd be 30-33 for a high temp.

00z GFS in 2 hours 58 minutes

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Phil said:

Might not see a “standard” niña pattern until late Jan or early Feb. This doesn’t account for any potential SSW/deeper NAM flip before then, of course.

Another round of potent blocking seems likely starting mid-Dec as MJO returns to IPWP/WPAC, after a transient zonal flow pattern late Nov/early Dec.

Would not surprise me if 80% or more of the CONUS is in the deep freeze during the holiday season this year, with a large ridge over Alaska. Would be very different from previous years.

I'll be in Denver during the holidays, I'm hoping I can experience an arctic blast while I'm there

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

The hills between Woodinville and Monroe often do well in the snow department.

• Like 2
It's called clown range for a reason.

8 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:

Yep. We were heading that way, but when the cold air thickened up deepening sloshing over the Cascades the downslope winds actually warmed me up several degrees. Today the wind has been nearly entirely confined to the gap/Gorge, so the low level cold intensified again. Another 2-3 days as you mentioned and I'd be 30-33 for a high temp.

00z GFS in 2 hours 58 minutes

We kept the breeze and stayed mild throughout the night but it wasn't strong enough to keep us that cool throughout the day which was slightly annoying.

• Windy 1
  • Sick 1

Honestly I don't get the twitter craze and I think society will be far better off it is ceases to exist. There are too many lunatics on the platform. Far too many. Just my opinion. I live an app-free lifestyle though, so could just be me. Outstanding

00z ECMWF in 4 hours 53 minutes GET READY!!!!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

How dare anyone choose to leave Twitter. Exercising ones right to exit is totalitarian!

I never said people didn't have the right to leave.  I just wonder why having the speech more free would drive anyone to leave.  Some people just melt down when confronted with opposing ideas I guess.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

9 minutes ago, Rubus Leucodermis said:

How dare anyone choose to leave Twitter. Exercising ones right to exit is totalitarian!

Elon is destroying his $44B investment in staggering quick fashion.   

• Like 3
  • Excited 1
  • lol 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

I never said people didn't have the right to leave.  I just wonder why having the speech more free would drive anyone to leave.  Some people just melt down when confronted with opposing ideas I guess.

Too many for sure. Adults should be able to discuss anything and even through disagreement still keep a level of respect and decorum to where we can just go on our ways because we don't have to agree with nor accept what everyone does or believes. With that being said.

00z ECMWF(Christmas Eve) in 844 hours 50 minutes.

Get your eggnog(spiked optional), favorite Christmas cookies, treats, snacks, meats, whatever you wish, but be here for an exciting run cementing a White Christmas for MANY of us! Be here 9:45 PM SHARP!

• Excited 3