November 2022 PNW weather Discussion. #NoRidgeNovember

Iceresistance

4 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

Yes. You were reading the map correctly.  Sometimes it is difficult to know if you are looking at surface maps vs upper level maps and actual temps vs anomalies.  Don’t be discouraged to ask questions. Most people on here have learned their weather knowledge from this very forum. 

That right there. I always have to make sure I read the fine print. lol 

This forum has DEFINETLY expanded my knowledge, and excitement, for weather. I have learned a TON since being here. :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kayla said:

There are a lot more deciduous trees in Maine or NH though. Sweden is mostly Tiaga forest and the northern parts definitely have a very tundra like feel with a lot of rocky soil and short shrubs.

yea, I was more commenting on the landscape in that pic, looks alot like what you'd see in the bush of Northern Maine north of Mt. Katahdin 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Everleigh said:

And this is why I hardly ever ask a question here, cause I know I'll get something like this as an answer. Won't be making that mistake again, thank you. 

I understand it's far out. I understand that is very un-likely to actually happen. I wanted to know if I was reading the map correctly. I am not super experienced with all the different maps, and some I just don't know how to read. 

I'm glad you spotted that. Interesting cold easterly pattern from the Columbia gorge I guess. It's interesting. Looks like little east wind there which explains the sinking temps. Single digits aren't crazy for Olympia in any cold spell and clear skies. But ya, fantasy land range for now.

By default, the cold air is supposed to slide further east into the central plains. It usually does. When something pulls the cold unusually west, the models overplay the cold seeping into the west/pacific coast in the long range. That's why models often feel like they are delaying the cold one day at a time. By the time the day actually approaches, the models correct and the cold is much less cold than the long range forecast showed a week earlier. And once in a blue moon, a modified arctic front actually happens and we get the "real" cold. 🥶

sfct_b.us_state_wa.png

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Everleigh said:

That right there. I always have to make sure I read the fine print. lol 

This forum has DEFINETLY expanded my knowledge, and excitement, for weather. I have learned a TON since being here. :)

FYI at the top of that map it said 2M AGL Temperature. That stands for 2 Meters above ground level temperature.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Snownerd3000 said:

Joe Bastardi in their premium section is showing maps of the Weeklies control run to dream of a white christmas for the east coast

Bastardi is such a trash loser.  he should get a room with Judah and Ryan Maue.  Then invite Mass over

• lol 2
  • Popcorn 1
  • Sun 1
  • scream 2
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, ShawniganLake said:

I don’t think Maue and Bastardi are buds.  Didn’t he take is pretty maps and start his own site after leaving Weatherbell 

I remember he use to have some winter wx blog on InAccuratewx like 15-20 years ago.  I lived on the east coast at the time.  then they tried to start charging for it, then he left and for some reason I think he started some consulting company prior to weatherbell but I may be mistaken?

14 hours ago, TT-SEA said:

Players are sucking down oxygen on the sidelines... which made me wonder if people who live their lives at 7,500 feet in elevation become more energized when they visit sea level?    Seems like it would be the opposite.  

I used to tease my son when he would come home on a break from Bozeman and ask him if he was holding up ok with all the extra oxygen he was getting down here at sea level.  😁

• Like 3
  • Excited 1

1 minute ago, Phishy Wx said:

Don't you want a -AO as well? i guess that shows it off the pic?

believe for the really epic cold yes.  We're mostly sitting neutral.  Did hear that the polar vortex has been running pretty weak which has allowed so much cold to spill on both sides of the globe.

So for those keeping score at home

Do we currently have most of all this in place or coming soon?

-NAO

-EPO

-PNA

-AO (maybe not as important?)

Favorable MJO

Triple Dip La Nina

Wildcards:

One of the largest volcanic eruptions in recorded history 10/11 months ago

extreme H20 levels in the the Stratosphere (mostly southern hemisphere but some increase in Northern too)

What else?

I mean it seems like we've been dealt a pretty solid hand, no?

All In??

• Like 2

My neighbor just texted me asking if it’s going to snow next week…Weather apps must be starting to show snowflakes or something…

• Like 3

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

1 minute ago, Phishy Wx said:

I'm guessing a third 'wildcard' is sea ice extent?  no?  still kinda early

Just my take, but I don’t think sea ice matters much to us.  We have seen some of our most anomalous events early in the season before sea ice extent is really even increasing much

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

the period from November 25 or so and December 5th is historically a good time to score snow in the lowlands.

We were wish casting for snow i think in last months thread and talking about a snowy hawks game for this Sundays game to be a to the day, 15 years from the epic Monday night snow game against the Packers. 

I could see weather impacting the next month of Hawks games, Christmas eve in KC and home against the Jets on new years day 😊

• Like 2