November 2022 PNW weather Discussion. #NoRidgeNovember

Iceresistance

The announcers are saying its getting quite windy at Husky stadium now.

Here was the ECMWF wind map for about now... you can see Seattle was in a calmer slot with action to the north and south.

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-gust_mph-7624400.png

• Like 2
  • Windy 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

23 minutes ago, Hour364Please said:

Husky Stadium just went dark.

The soccer Apple Cup game in Pullman was postponed due to the storm...I thought soccer played in the rain?

• Like 3

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

Just now, MillCreekMike said:

Could be recency bias but this is definitely one of the most intense storms I’ve experienced since Hanukkah eve ‘06

This is one of the top surges down the Strait I've ever seen.  There was one back in the 90s when I was living in Woodinville that might have been about the same, but this could well be worse.

• Like 5

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, Cloud said:

Early Saturday for north sound around The 50mph+ gusts… i think peak is happening now up there. 

Central sound should be wrapping up soon. 

Yeah... the ECMWF showed the strongest wind burst around Everett between 10-11 p.m. but it stays windy through the Strait into tomorrow.

• Like 4

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

9 minutes ago, Cloud said:

What a day…. Look like folks in OR experienced a fireball as well. 

I witnessed one fireball in my life and it lasted longer than the one shown here.  Pretty incredible.

• Like 3

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just now, TT-SEA said:

Yeah... the ECMWF showed the strongest wind burst around Everett between 10-11 p.m. but it stays windy through the Strait into tomorrow.

Ya… this was discussed 2-3 days prior to this with the Euro consistently showing the funnel of the winds from the Strait into everett areas around this time.

• Like 2

47 degrees in Lynwood and 57 in Seattle.  CAA is blasting in.

• Like 3
  • Shivering 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Loving how dynamic this system is.

• Like 4
  • Windy 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Thank you Cloud and others for the updates. I really appreciate them. I am really curious about what the wind blasts look like on that model tomorrow that you were showing TT_SEA.

Hopefully If I have power tomorrow I look forward to reading through all this.

Be safe everyone.

• Like 7

Just now, NWbyNW said:

Thank you Cloud and others for the updates. I really appreciate them. I am really curious about what the wind blasts look like on that model tomorrow that you were showing TT_SEA.

Be safe everyone.

Hopefully your power is restored soon. Have a good night.

• Like 4

Just heard a massive wind blast and a very large thud. No idea what fell over....

One more quick little update, I no longer see any lights on the landmass where the Tulalip reservation is. There's a couple different communities there and they appear to all be black now. Marysville is also all black from what I can see. And downtown Everett is black but the Navy base  and port has power. But it looks like the residential areas are black.

• Like 7
  • scream 1

1 minute ago, NWbyNW said:

Be safe everyone.

You too, have a good one. Crazy night

• Like 3

Shred it!

Greater Maple Valley area @ ~550' AGL

3 minutes ago, NWbyNW said:

Be safe everyone.

Be safe brother! Hopefully your power will be restored soon enough…. We have cold settling soon.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Gradient Keeper said:

Power Outages - UPDATE
Washington: 283,502. Snohomish County: 113,097

image.png

And note the population of Snohomish county I think is around 600 to 700,000 people. The city of Everett is 110,000 people. So we're talking a lot of people are  without of power right now.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Cloud said:

It’s freaky how dead calm it is outside now at my location. Just flipped the switch to “wind off” 

Its completely calm here... very strange considering the reports to the north and south but makes sense when looking at the maps.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Gradient Keeper said:

00z ECMWF Day 1 (Past 4 runs)

trend-ecmwf_full-2022110500-f024.500h_anom.na.gif

24hr Rainfall totals

qpf_acc.us_nw.png

Just imagine if this block was about 5 degrees east of this position.  We would be talking about an historic cold wave for this early.  I think it will still be respectable though.

• Like 2
  • Shivering 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Just had a huge gust blast through Whatcom county and knock out power to a majority of the county.

Lots of chatter on Facebook about a very sudden strong wind gust and flashes of light/exploding transformers.  We got at least 1 surge, I’m a little nervous about things getting fried.

• Like 1
  • Windy 2

3 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

Just imagine if this block was about 5 degrees east of this position.  We would be talking about an historic cold wave for this early.  I think it will still be respectable though.

Last minute 5 degree shift east please

• Like 3

Not to be alarmist, but there is some kind of boat out in Port Gardner Bay flashing its lights. I don't know if those are usual lights that they have or they are asking for assistance. I just wanted to say there is a boat in Port Gardner Bay occasionally flashing a light. I can't tell how big it is because it's pitch black.

Winds have not dropped down one bit. They're still just as strong as when I was first posting. I cannot believe this is not let down.

• Sad 1
  • Windy 1

Looks like the winds in the Strait have eased by about 5mph since the last update.  Still bad though.

• Windy 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

1 minute ago, Chewbacca Defense said:

Just had a huge gust blast through Whatcom county and knock out power to a majority of the county.

Lots of chatter on Facebook about a very sudden strong wind gust and flashes of light/exploding transformers.  We got at least 1 surge, I’m a little nervous about things getting fried.

Go ahead and shut everything down until it subsides.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NWbyNW said:

Not to be alarmist, but there is some kind of boat out in Port Gardner Bay flashing its lights. I don't know if those are usual lights that they have or they are asking for assistance. I just wanted to say there is a boat in Port Gardner Bay occasionally flashing a light. I can't tell how big it is because it's pitch black.

Winds have not dropped down one bit. They're still just as strong as when I was first posting. I cannot believe this is not let down.

Good bet they're in trouble.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Really has been a crazy night. Pretty sure everyone in the Sound had their power start flickering when that surge hit, if the anecdotal reports on timing are right. Browsing the bird app right now just to watch the photos being taken

• Like 1

Shred it!

Greater Maple Valley area @ ~550' AGL