November 2022 PNW weather Discussion. #NoRidgeNovember

Iceresistance

Winds have picked up again, they are extremely loud. I mean extremely loud. But it looks like the clouds overhead are clearing to a clear night sky. I think I see stars. It's hard to tell in the dark but it looks like the clouds are heading south. Maybe east?

• Like 1

Have a good view of the city and have a very wide view of the horizon from my balcony. It has been a full on light show out here, multiple flashes of blue/green/orange all over the sky. Can even see several flashes across the valley towards Lake Stevens/Snohomish. Surprisingly still well lit up here at home. Have had a few flickers.

Wind is still going very strong.

C732ED53-9AAC-43D8-8661-2CFE8568D9E3.thumb.jpeg.9b5ac15c17c54226aa9849adb4e09221.jpeg

• Like 5

(Previous name: MillCreekMike)

Everett, WA (elev. 180’)

2023-2024 Snowfall:

1/11: Tr.

1/18: Tr.

Go M’s

Sumas Mountain plunged 9 degrees in an hour with the CAA.  They are at 32 after a high of 55 at about 3000 feet.

• Like 5
  • Excited 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I have taken a few photos as best I can of the boat in the water. Just in case. There was a massive glow of lights at the port and now the port of Everett has no power except for a few light poles. And on the crane. Wind gusts are very strong and wind unrelenting.

Hoping once these clouds clear up maybe that means the end of the wind? The wind is blowing all these clouds away from the sky.

• Like 2

New news Spokane AFD update out. I'm going to try and sleep if I can.

• Like 1

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

For some locations this obviously feels and seems worse because of the late foliage here this year. Not surprisingly many trees still have leaves on them and many are still green. Heavy and drought stricken trees.

Just now, CliffMassYelledAtMe said:

Definitely not for me either, but I wonder if there was some terrain enhancement or something that made part of this more intense for select locations? 

Would be bad even in a moderate windstorm. 

• Windy 1

2 minutes ago, CliffMassYelledAtMe said:

Definitely not for me either, but I wonder if there was some terrain enhancement or something that made part of this more intense for select locations? 

Totally depends on location because it is easily topping that here. These extremely strong winds have not let up since they started at around 10:00 I guess? Maybe a bit earlier?

Video captured a few light show moments, not sure if they showed up on the camera.

I got one 35mph gust. Now the winds are calm, I topped out at 2.5" of rain and the temp has dropped from 60 to 50.

Oh and my power is still on. Pretty chill tbh.

Edit: nowhere near Hanukkah 2006. Even in the strait. I was in factorial and caught an 80mph gust that stole my favorite hat. We were without power for 3 weeks.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, snow_wizard said:

Another interesting thing is the fact SEA only ended up with a +1 temperature departure today.  Normally a plume like this would be a lot warmer.  Looks like CAA begins later this evening, so this was the warmest day.

You sound like you’re 12. No harm intended. In the grand scheme of things does it really matter how frosty we are? 1889 isn’t here and you weren’t either. Times have changed. Just my cheap two cents. 

• Popcorn 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, smerfylicious said:

I got one 35mph gust. Now the winds are calm, I topped out at 2.5" of rain and the temp has dropped from 60 to 50.

Oh and my power is still on. Pretty chill tbh.

Edit: nowhere near Hanukkah 2006. Even in the strait. I was in factorial and caught an 80mph gust that stole my favorite hat. We were without power for 3 weeks.

That storm had a 970mb lowest pressure. This one was modeled at 985-987. Real time observations saw sea surface pressure got down as low as 994-995 across region during highest peak gusts. I would definitely say it’s not close to Hanukkah eve. 

• Like 2

I’m not sure if it’s supposed to get that windy down here but I don’t remember experiencing any significant wind events since Dec 1995. Pretty sure I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Windy 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Power is now out. A small portion of the city is still lit up. Saw blue light reflecting off the buildings and heard a loud buzzing sound then the power went out. I can smell the burned electricity smell a little bit as well.

• Windy 1
  • scream 2

(Previous name: MillCreekMike)

Everett, WA (elev. 180’)

2023-2024 Snowfall:

1/11: Tr.

1/18: Tr.

Go M’s

I said I was going to go like an hour ago. But it's so great talking and seeing what everyone's posting. For real this time I got to save my batteries. I'm down to 14% and who knows if I'll have power tomorrow.

Still constant wind but not as many super heavy gusts in the past few minutes. No power. Clear sky. No rain after we had a massive sideways dumping when the wind event first began. Now for real this time... Goodnight. Thanks everyone for the updates.

Be safe everyone! 

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Cloud said:

That storm had a 970mb lowest pressure. This one was modeled at 985-987. Real time observations saw sea surface pressure got down as low as 994-995 across region during highest peak gusts. I would definitely say it’s not close to Hanukkah eve. 

The angles were different with that storm.  This one was perfect for the Strait.  2006 could have been stronger even for them though since it was such a beast.

• Like 2

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

14 minutes ago, TigerWoodsLibido said:

I’m not sure if it’s supposed to get that windy down here but I don’t remember experiencing any significant wind events since Dec 1995. Pretty sure I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

This was probably the biggest wind event during my lifetime, although 1996 may have been close. I was living in Portland for that one. I was in Eugene for this and it was quite impressive.

https://www.climate.washington.edu/stormking/February2002.html

• Like 1
  • Excited 1
  • Windy 1