December 2016 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Great reports coming in!

Can clearly see some CAA causing some instability off the coast. I'm going to guess that the precip over the north will be more like Monday with on and off heavy snow showers as opposed to uniform precip.

The GFS/NAM/HRRR/RAP suite continue to suggest that the dry air will dominate, only to turn to rain once the precip actually starts falling. Pretty much a big middle finger to the face.

The Canadian suite continues to be incredibly bullish with 10" of snow today (and another 12" tomorrow). It's kind of hilarious to see such consistency from both sides, and both sides have incredibly different outcomes. 

I think the drier group is being too stingy with precip, but the Canadian output is obviously too juicy. But the instability will certainly make for an interesting afternoon.

I'm still sticking with my 4" call for this first wave. The second wave looks to arrive on Saturday, where it looks like precip will be for sure, but the question is.. rain or snow? I'm holding my call for an additional 4" on Saturday but it's also a very tough forecast.

Awesome pics!   Only about an inch here... Jared was right about my area.   So glad that other places scored though.

Schools are open out here as well despite the fact that its 25.8 degrees and snowing moderately now.   :).  

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Coming in with 2.7" of snow here. It is 31° with light rain right now. Sure is pretty outside. 

All schools are closed in this area.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Keeping my dads plow business going. He started doing it in 1977 with this truck. We have made a ton of money thru the years. I have about 30 contracts. Condos banks post office. 200 bux a hr and they line up to pay that.

$200 an hour? That's insane!!!! People really pay that for a plow?

$200 an hour? That's insane!!!! People really pay that for a plow?

Oh easily. A buddy of mine made over 15K during the blizzard last January plowing for the Verizon center and a few other big contracts.

PDX is still below freezing and precip has been around most of the night. It's too bad the mid levels warmed so mariginally. We could have seen a lot of snow.

I just woke up to a thick glaze of ice on everything. Gross. Heard the freemomt bridge is a sheet of ice now.

Man the models are horrible with these situations. It was supposed to be in the low 40s a few hours ago, and yet I'm sitting at 31 with a decent easterly breeze still going. Huge underestimation of how deep and plentiful the cold air was in the Cascade valleys. The pathetic amount of snow I got is still there.

I am tired of getting cold snaps with almost no snow.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I just woke up to a thick glaze of ice on everything. Gross. Heard the freemomt bridge is a sheet of ice now.

Yeah glad I'm not working today.

It's a shame we saw that tongue of warmth at 925mb since this really wasn't even a "warm"

system, per se. 850s never went above zero and thicknesses stayed at 540dm or lower.

Man the models are horrible with these situations. It was supposed to be in the low 40s a few hours ago, and yet I'm sitting at 31 with a decent easterly breeze still going. Huge underestimation of how deep and plentiful the cold air was in the Cascade valleys. The pathetic amount of snow I got is still there.

I am tired of getting cold snaps with almost no snow.

Yeah it stayed at 30-31 all night here too. Hard to believe we could be seeing another major cool down in about 4 days. Although for places on the Canadian Border and east side the cold will never be really going away.

Flurries here right now. Got a dusting overnight to add to the inch that blew around a few nights ago :lol: . Looking like some serious arctic air is going to invade the areas over here. NWS is calling for lows near or below zero with highs barely reaching double digits around here. It'll be interesting to see how cold the Purcell Trench gets. 

Great reports coming in!

Can clearly see some CAA causing some instability off the coast. I'm going to guess that the precip over the north will be more like Monday with on and off heavy snow showers as opposed to uniform precip.

The GFS/NAM/HRRR/RAP suite continue to suggest that the dry air will dominate, only to turn to rain once the precip actually starts falling. Pretty much a big middle finger to the face.

The Canadian suite continues to be incredibly bullish with 10" of snow today (and another 12" tomorrow). It's kind of hilarious to see such consistency from both sides, and both sides have incredibly different outcomes. 

I think the drier group is being too stingy with precip, but the Canadian output is obviously too juicy. But the instability will certainly make for an interesting afternoon.

I'm still sticking with my 4" call for this first wave. The second wave looks to arrive on Saturday, where it looks like precip will be for sure, but the question is.. rain or snow? I'm holding my call for an additional 4" on Saturday but it's also a very tough forecast.

Where are you talking about?

Can someone please post snow totals for various cities. Especially for W. WA. That is more helpful than non-descript pictures or complaining posts about how little an area got. Trying to see how widespread of an event this actually was...

• Like 4

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.