Nebraska to finally see monster Snowstorm in Late February?

clintbeed1993

Will the state of Nebraska finally see a classic Snowstorm this season?  We are long overdue for one.  I don't think I ever remember a winter when we didn't get at least 1 big storm.  All of our snow has been from little 2-4 inch systems.

GFS hints at some really big snows for pretty much the entire state through the first week of March.  I guess all we can do is wait and see if this is finally our time to shine! 

GFS snowfall through March 5th.  Most of this falls during the 23rd through the 25th and again from the 28th through the 5th of March.  Thoughts?

post-133-0-53253200-1392924794_thumb.gif

Will the state of Nebraska finally see a classic Snowstorm this season?  We are long overdue for one.  I don't think I ever remember a winter when we didn't get at least 1 big storm.  All of our snow has been from little 2-4 inch systems.

GFS hints at some really big snows for pretty much the entire state through the first week of March.  I guess all we can do is wait and see if this is finally our time to shine! 

GFS snowfall through March 5th.  Most of this falls during the 23rd through the 25th and again from the 28th through the 5th of March.  Thoughts?

I bolded the key words there; I can't ever remember going thru a winter w/o a WSW. If I don't see something in my area soon I might make it thru an entire winter without one. I would say we are long long over due to see a nice bowling ball colorado low. 

• Like 1

Colorado Low would be Godly at this point.  I am really tired of these little nuisance snows.  Spring is so close, and I love severe weather season.  If we can't get a huge snowstorm I think it needs to warm up and just be Spring already.

Unfortunately, I can't put much faith in the GFS and the amount of snow it is showing.  I can't count the number of times it has shown us getting drilled only to back way off when it gets closer.  The storm for early next week looks to mainly miss our area of the state, giving West Central Nebraska a healthy snow.  Maybe we will have to wait for the one showing up in early March, if it even verifies.

• Like 1

Agree with both of you guys. A nice bowling ball system would be amazing right now. Hand to god, I'm almost positive we get one within the next two weeks. Even though this system today kinda screwed us over, I bet we do better with the systems upcoming. I saw some deep red colors for a little bit right over Elkhorn Nebraska, which I haven't seen in awhile. The potential is definitely there. If you look back over the past 10 or so years, March is generally an excellent month for Nebraska, somehow we manage to stay cold enough when these powerhouse systems move through and just get flattened. Crossing my fingers that the 12z GFS is right, that absolutely smokes us. It'd help alleviate the drought as well. Plus I think we'll sink into a really deep cold these next two weeks and with this active trend continuing, I think someone in the state if not all of us get buried.

I am with you.  Central Nebraska has had some of our largest storms in March.  I remember March of 1984 and the double blizzards of late March and early April 1987.  The 2nd one in 1987 put drifts over barns in the country around Phelps County.  We could walk up onto our garage in town.  I tell my kids of these type of storms and they don't believe that they can actually happen anymore in Nebraska.  One of these winters we will get our turn (I hope).

Central Nebraska I agree. I have heard stories from my parents about those storms. And although I dont remember them as a kid, I am starting to believe we wont ever see snows like that again. I am in the plowing business and would love to see a few more storm, but once mid March hits, Im ready for outdoor work. Been in the plowing business for 10 years and this has got to be one of our worst years. I dont get to worked up about it but it is frustrating. I guess we will see how we are looking about 5 days from now. I think we should have a decent handle on what is to come for next weekend

I am with you.  Central Nebraska has had some of our largest storms in March.  I remember March of 1984 and the double blizzards of late March and early April 1987.  The 2nd one in 1987 put drifts over barns in the country around Phelps County.  We could walk up onto our garage in town.  I tell my kids of these type of storms and they don't believe that they can actually happen anymore in Nebraska.  One of these winters we will get our turn (I hope).

So you must have been around the winter of 83/84 which is considered one of the most severe winters in this area!? Winter started fast, was bitter cold in the middle and closed out with a massive snow storm. I was born that December that x mas and my parents mentioned how cold it was for that week. Didn't get above zero! I swear that's why I love winter. At any rate, I would be happy to see one of these massive march blizzards they usually are the worse. The one in 98 stands out to me; cars were completely covered at eppley airfield.

NWS Hastings says that this is a very difficult forecast for tonight into Sunday morning.  Winter Weather Advisory along I-80 west from Grand Island.  General 1-5 inches but said where frontogenesis sets up it could be 6-8 inches.  Could be a very thin band.  Counties may be upgraded to warnings tonight or other dropped from advisory.  Described it as "SEVERAL SCENARIOS ARE POSSIBLE TONIGHT AND WE WILL REALLY NOT KNOW

WHICH ONE IS RIGHT UNTIL WE SEE THIS UNFOLD."  I hope Phelps County can be under this band.

NWS Hastings says that this is a very difficult forecast for tonight into Sunday morning.  Winter Weather Advisory along I-80 west from Grand Island.  General 1-5 inches but said where frontogenesis sets up it could be 6-8 inches.  Could be a very thin band.  Counties may be upgraded to warnings tonight or other dropped from advisory.  Described it as "SEVERAL SCENARIOS ARE POSSIBLE TONIGHT AND WE WILL REALLY NOT KNOW

WHICH ONE IS RIGHT UNTIL WE SEE THIS UNFOLD."  I hope Phelps County can be under this band.

I saw that too.  Very interesting system with some strong lift and should be a good band set up somewhere.  Looking at the RAP I would say Phelps County is in a great spot.  RAP is taking the heaviest band just south of I80.  Holdrege should do good.  Snow ratios should be great as well. At least 20:1 and perhaps a bit higher.  I think 3-6 inches will be very possible wherever that band sets up.

Tonight's snow looks to drop the most to my south west. Early next week the heaviest looks to fall to my north east. Can I catch a flipping break???? Make sure everyone watches the Olympics tonight, my good friend curt tomasevicz looks to defend the gold medal in the four man bob sled! Finals are tomorrow, prelims tonight.

Solid 4-6 inches in Phelps county so far, still snowing hard.. Got under a heavy snow band the last couple of hours. 1 inch an hour snowfall rates. Heaviest of the season. Will update when it finally ends. Sounds like more chances during the week and nws Hastings hinting at a large storm, possibly, March 1-3.

Looks like furnas, gosper, and Harlan counties were the snow winners. 8-9 inches within the persistent band. Winter wonderland here in central Nebraska. Haven't said that very often this winter. Just used the snowblower on the driveway, it is a fairly wet snow but it blows easily.

Congratulations, Hastings got less than a dusting.  I'm so pissed off :(  Enjoy the snow man.

17" out in Kimball Nebraska along I-80 in the Nebraska panhandle! The interstate was closed to the Wyoming border. Report said absolutely no wind too. Would love to have seen that thick even blanket of snow across the whole countryside

Maybe our time will finally come next weekend.  How many times have we said that this season though?  Hard to have faith in any storm around here the way things have been.

Maybe our time will finally come next weekend.  How many times have we said that this season though?  Hard to have faith in any storm around here the way things have been.

Well said, our biggest snow of the year affects just a hand full of counties on either side of the interstate. I'm sitting at 9.2" of snow for the year and things aren't looking up. Next weekend's storm is starting to look more like a cutter vs. a Colorado low and my chances of seeing snow out of a cutter is slim to none. Bring on spring and severe weather I'm putting a fork into winter! 

Looks like several light snow events here the next 5-6 days before the big storm gets suppressed way south. even the GFS which had been on our side for a big storm the first couple of days in March is now way south too. so I guess get ready for more 1-3" light snow events. God, can it be spring and 70 degrees already?!

Looks like several light snow events here the next 5-6 days before the big storm gets suppressed way south. even the GFS which had been on our side for a big storm the first couple of days in March is now way south too. so I guess get ready for more 1-3" light snow events. God, can it be spring and 70 degrees already?!

Idk man, the GFS still looks mighty good for us.  I would sign up for that in a heartbeat.  I could see this getting suppressed though.

post-133-0-04507600-1393259006_thumb.gif

Idk man, the GFS still looks mighty good for us.  I would sign up for that in a heartbeat.  I could see this getting suppressed though.

I was going to say. The GFS has 6+" statewide for Nebraska over the next 180 hours or so. For those who want snow still, can't really get too upset.

that's my point. 6" over the next week from several waves moving through. i'm talking about getting a nice big storm which has been shown more and more consistently to be going south of here those first couple days of March. of course i'll take the snowfall because it's been a dry winter, but that still doesn't get us our first big storm of the year which is something almost everyone here in Nebraska has complained about. none of these storms would give us a winter storm warning which we haven't had all year. I know a lot of the posters on the great lakes section have complained too about getting clippered to death with all the small snowfalls. just looking for a biggie

that's my point. 6" over the next week from several waves moving through. i'm talking about getting a nice big storm which has been shown more and more consistently to be going south of here those first couple days of March. of course i'll take the snowfall because it's been a dry winter, but that still doesn't get us our first big storm of the year which is something almost everyone here in Nebraska has complained about. none of these storms would give us a winter storm warning which we haven't had all year. I know a lot of the posters on the great lakes section have complained too about getting clippered to death with all the small snowfalls. just looking for a biggie

Yeah, while we have a lot of snow over here, and almost 50" for the year, I've only had one storm that hit winter storm warning criteria, and what was 6" on the spot. Clippers can be a real pain to track and it's only typically for 1-3"... A lot of us are ready for spring and some warmer weather instead of clippers and constant cold.

I'm alright with it being a long duration light snow event.  I just don't want anymore 10 hour 1-3 inchers.  I would be happy with 6+ over a 3 or 4 day period.