2017 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

It was an interesting morning today.  I got awakened to a tornado warning for Santa Barbara county on my phone this morning.  Although I was not near the warning area there was a brief period with heavy pea size hail around 6:45 am.  There was still some hail persisting, unmelted in one of my plants located in a shaded area, this afternoon around 4:30 pm.  

January rainfall total around 9" and Season total at 14".

There is finally some runoff into the Gibraltar and Cachuma reservoirs in Santa Barbara county.  

It was an interesting morning today.  I got awakened to a tornado warning for Santa Barbara county on my phone this morning.  Although I was not near the warning area there was a brief period with heavy pea size hail around 6:45 am.  There was still some hail persisting, unmelted in one of my plants located in a shaded area, this afternoon around 4:30 pm.  

January rainfall total around 9" and Season total at 14".

There is finally some runoff into the Gibraltar and Cachuma reservoirs in Santa Barbara county.  

Having hail stay around for most of the day is a real treat. I recall the same phenomena several years ago. Frost is very likely for the next few nights. Many areas are in the 30's this morning especially inland valleys. Coldest minimum this month/ season here.

L: 40°

It's a beautiful morning with sunrise finally a few seconds earlier than on Winter Solstice. We have gained 29 minutes of daylight in the afternoon. After February 11, however, sunrise will be changing at a faster rate than the sunset.

Lots of snow on the San Bernardino mountains, but in Lake Forest, they are mostly blocked by the Santa Ana Mountains.

Nice to see recovery of rain deficits but southern most Santa Barbara and much of Ventura county are still in extreme drought. Overall a wonderful improvement for California. Some very cold morning temps but not even close to records; frost wasn't as widespread as predicted.

Wednesday: 61/ 43

post-226-0-04304100-1485450512_thumb.png

Back to boring weather for a while. Since the atmospheric river that gave Orange County and LA County so much rain with the last storm mostly bypassed San Diego, we will need to hope for some storms focused on San Diego County.

Eh based of Happs map I would say Ventura/SB need it more still.

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

3.70" fell here in Orange with this last storm, bringing my season total so far to 16.34". It is nice that we are having a break from the storms for a little while, but I hope we see more storms sometime in February, and hopefully the on and off wet pattern will continue into the spring! If the wetness continues, then further reductions in the drought are likely.

3.70" fell here in Orange with this last storm, bringing my season total so far to 16.34". It is nice that we are having a break from the storms for a little while, but I hope we see more storms sometime in February, and hopefully the on and off wet pattern will continue into the spring! If the wetness continues, then further reductions in the drought are likely.

There has been a bit of discussion, as you know on WW, concerning the corridor of deepest moisture during last week's rainfall. Orange/ LA counties benefitted nicely. Later next week another storm should provide more rain/ snow primarily in NorCal.

Thursday: 63/ 41

Barometric pressure readings have been very high in CA today with strong surface ridging. Readings were in the 30.40s and 30.50s in many areas. There were readings as high as the 30.70s and 30.80s in NV, ID, and eastern WA as well, closer to the high's center. This is the same high that is helping to fuel our strong Santa Ana wind event.

Wind hasn't been particularly strong here compared to parts of the San Fernando valley/ IE and Orange county. The San Gabriel mts often block/ greatly modify santa ana winds depending on the location of high pressure.

Friday: 64/ 46   

Some past Februaries have been very wet. Rooting for the same this year.

Rain data for my location:

1992: 11.49 [followed by 8.71 in March]

1993: 9.66 [preceded in Jan: 15.52

1996: 6.74

1998: 16.28 [remarkable : 35” rain year]

2000: 8.03

2001: 8.47

2003: 6.02

2004: 8.26

2005: 14.92 [rain year over 50”

2009: 6.40

2010: 6.25

2011: 5.11 [rain year: 32.88

• Like 1

Here are the February rainfall totals for downtown Los Angeles since 2012:

2012: 0.16"
2013: 0.20"
2014: 3.58" - 3.29" fell on last 2 days of month.
2015: 0.83"
2016: 0.79"

This has been one pathetic streak for a month that historically has been one of the wettest for the region. I think we managed 3.58" in February 2014 just by sheer luck on a one and done event that led to more dryness afterward, and had that rain fallen just a couple of days later, February 2014 would have only received 0.29".

January was cool and wet; just the way we like a winter month to be.

January 2017

Aver Max: 64.3/ Norm: 69

Aver Min: 49.6/ Norm: 51 

Mean: 56.9

Hi/LoMax: 80/ 54

Hi/LoMin: 60/ 40

Rain: 8.67

Year [Jul-jun]: 15.23 

Days: 10

• Like 1