2017 California/Southwest Weather Thread

Thunder98

March was extremely dry here in Orange with a measly total of 0.12" and only two days in the month with measurable rain. This was the driest month of the wet season which started in October. I just don't know why we can't seem to get a wet March anymore, but at least we finally had a wetter November, a wet December, a very wet January and an average February. It had been a long time coming since we had even an average February with a few storms spread out over the month. Maybe next year March will finally turn wetter.

The rainfall pattern this season has reminded me a lot of 2007-08, but a wetter version of it by several inches.

March was one of the driest in quite a few years.  March was very warm also though nothing compared to 2015. My station data starts in 1995 so it is rather limited but I refer to previous data. It suggests a continued pattern of early spring warmth.  But April over the past 22 years has been trending cooler and now there is only 1 degree difference between March [mean: 63.2°] and April [64.7°] at my location. 

I am encouraged by NOAA 6-10 & 8-14 rain projections for NorCal.    

Ridging produced a warm afternoon but trough to the north should drop day temps tomorrow w/ the usual see/ saw of troughs/ ridges this week. Deeper ULL would be great later this week..

80/ 54  

There's certainly no consensus between run-to-run Euro & GFS models but San Diego NWS is talking affirmatively for rainfall  B)  

"A plume of subtropical moisture will 
  spread southward across Southern California late Friday through 
  early Saturday with precipitable water values increasing to around 
  250 percent of normal. This will increase the precipitation 
  potential some even though large scale lift is rather limited. Some 
  moderate precipitation amounts are possible along and west of the 
  mountains."

"What’s that buzz? Why hordes of insects are bugging South Bay residents"  http://www.dailybreeze.com/environment-and-nature/20170331/whats-that-buzz-why-hordes-of-insects-are-bugging-south-bay-residents

All the rain this year has increased insect populations but some people are freaking out over the harmless Crane Flies [aka “mosquito hawks”]. :rolleyes:

L.A. DOWNTOWN  SUNNY     84  41  21 CALM      30.02F           

Again, USC is out of sync rather dramatically. Don't they have backup thermometers or is this just another example of urban heat?  Fullerton is 82°     

NWS_Sacramento

"Weather pattern turns more winterlike as a 
  cold upper low forms over the eastern Pacific. Current forecast 
  brings light warm sector precipitation to Norcal on Wednesday with
  moderate snow levels and breezy south winds. Precipitation will 
  start out relatively light but snowfall over the Sierra could be 
  enough to bring minor impacts. A strong Pacific frontal system 
  pushes through norcal next Thursday although timing differs a bit 
  between models. Significant rain, mountain snow and gusty winds 
  are likely with this system. Precipitation is likely to continue 
  into Friday but model discrepancy becomes more significant 
  lowering confidence". 

This is quite encouraging. Strong storm in NorCal today/tonight followed by another system next week! :)  

Richard, maybe April will be wetter than March as least in NorCal. Did you record much overnight in Paradise?  It looks quite possible that rain may not reach SoCal :o

Here's the water storage. Many of the dams have been releasing water in order to prepare for snow melt this spring.

post-226-0-30157700-1491592844_thumb.jpg

Fullerton picks up an incredible 0.03" from this "storm".

A big disappointment and leaves me puzzled why both NWS_LA and San Diego insisted on much heavier rainfall when in reality there was hardly any moisture in SoCal. At least northern California scored some pretty impressive rain and snow totals esp from Bay Area/ Sacramento valley northward.  

Friday: 73/ 56

Actually the beach cities did fairly well:

Hawthorne             :     67 /  55 /  0.27
LA Airport            :     66 /  55 /  0.34
LA Downtown/USC       :     72 /  56 /  0.08
Long Beach Arpt       :     72 /  56 /  0.18
Redondo Beach         :     67 /  56 /  0.30
Sta Monica Arpt       :     65 /  54 /     M
Santa Monica Pier     :      M /   M /     M
Torrance              :     68 /  56 /  0.21
UCLA                  :     67 /  54 /  0.06

At least the chance of another storm is possible again next week. It is getting closer to the definitive dry season; the hills are turning brown. But April is looking more encouraging than March was and NorCal is getting a bunch of really interesting weather plus more Sierra snowpack. 

70/ 56

0.03" fell here in Orange last night and early this morning, bringing my rainfall total since March 1st to a whopping 0.15".

I am still hoping for one last deluge before this rainy season wraps up, as opposed to these nickel and dime and even "penny" storms we have been getting since March.

All the activity is to the north. Looks to stay that way next week once again. 

Photo [Craig Matthews] of approaching rain in Carmel Valley last week 

post-226-0-45106400-1491761817_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Another chilly morning inland w/ some minimums in the 30's around San Bernardino.  Otherwise fair and seasonable conditions. Coastal clouds will probably increase this week but rain is not really in the forecast for SoCal.