January 2017 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

Goducks09

Man, I'm over this, we just can't win!  What are the chances we a block like this again later this winter?  Don't answer that...   :(

What does it matter? We had a great block this time... almost epic and it did for us. SO who cares! What a total waste!!

• Like 1

Seriously I would love to hear some of the underlying technical reasons behind it... I find it interesting.

Models see that setup all the time...lots of analogs to go off of!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

not much .... rapid warm up but I could give a flying Fukk for a snow to rain transition. Just prefer rain. Sooo let it rain!!

I don't know...the Dec 1996 transition event was quite fun!! Unless you had a boat at the Edmonds marina or had a flat roof.
  • Like 1

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

I don't know...the Dec 1996 transition event was quite fun!! Unless you had a boat at the Edmonds marina or had a flat roof.

I thought it was depressing. All the snow gone in a few hours. It is like someone giving you a brief case full of money ... then lighting it on fire and saying, "I hope you enjoyed"... "It's was better than nothing."

I thought it was depressing. All the snow gone in a few hours. It is like someone giving you a brief case full of money ... then lighting it on fire and saying. I hope you enjoyed... It was better than nothing. 

Nah,it's like planting a nice flower, watching it grow ... only to see a foe step on it before it blooms.

• Like 1

I thought it was depressing. All the snow gone in a few hours. It is like someone giving you a brief case full of money ... then lighting it on fire and saying, "I hope you enjoyed"... "It's was better than nothing."

lots of fun aspects though...I remember the temp rose all the way to 35 degrees the afternoon before the overrunning but then suddenly by late afternoon the temp plummeted big time all the way down to 14 degrees when the snow started around 9 or so that evening and was heavy snow by 10pm all the way until about 9am the next morning, then I believe my area went into a rain shadow so we didn't get much rain even though it warmed to 40 degrees by the afternoon so it was still fun to play in 25" of snow!

lots of fun aspects though...I remember the temp rose all the way to 35 degrees the afternoon before the overrunning but then suddenly by late afternoon the temp plummeted big time all the way down to 14 degrees when the snow started around 9 or so that evening and was heavy snow by 10pm all the way until about 9am the next morning, then I believe my area went into a rain shadow so we didn't get much rain even though it warmed to 40 degrees by the afternoon so it was still fun to play in 25" of snow!

Enjoy it... :)  I hope it happens for you... Maybe we can get some substantial snow that sticks around more than a few hours at some point this winter. 

• Like 1

My wife has always been really condescending to me about it but is generally tolerant.

Does she ever tell you to just look at your phone app if you want to know what the weather is going to be, like what normal people do...

I think its going to turn very wet and relatively warm.   Seems like a logical progression.    Glad we are heading to Vegas next week... and we did not miss this snowy and sunny week.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Could be some wet snow at "my location."

• Like 1

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.