East/Gulf Coast Weather 2017

Phil

Andrews Air Force Base hit 73mph. Impressive.

Damage reports coming in from all over. Reports include roofs being ripped off, tree branches being blown through windows, and scaffolding collapsing.

that's really impressive for none thunderstorm winds.great wind event.

Last night was worse than last April. We all had to sleep in the living room.

Blew our front door open, breaking the lock in the process. The elementary school gusted to 77mph Andrews Air Force Base to 73mph, DCA to 66mph. The mountain town of wintergreen hit an astounding 110mph, Snowshoe hit 98mph.

Lady a few houses down had a 2" branch blow throw her bedroom window. Roof and siding damage everywhere. Limbs down everywhere, a few trees snapped.

Blew our front door open, breaking the lock in the process. The elementary school gusted to 77mph Andrews Air Force Base to 73mph, DCA to 66mph. The mountain town of wintergreen hit an astounding 110mph, Snowshoe hit 98mph.

Lady a few houses down had a 2" branch blow throw her bedroom window. Roof and siding damage everywhere. Limbs down everywhere, a few trees snapped.

like the old saying phil be careful what you wish for you may just get it lol mother nature is pure boss at the best and at the worse.

like the old saying phil be careful what you wish for you may just get it lol mother nature is pure boss at the best and at the worse.

Yeah, though still not quite the same level as February 2011 or March 2008. Still waiting for one of these gradient/pressure surge events to occur in broad daylight during March. That would be truly amazing.

Yeah, though still not quite the same level as February 2011 or March 2008. Still waiting for one of these gradient/pressure surge events to occur in broad daylight during March. That would be truly amazing.

true but then again in a winter like this we take anything in any way possable as exciting events are hard to come by this winter in nearly just about everything.but no question those wind events in febuary 2011 and march 2008 were about as good as they come.

This is actually scary. Some old trees are blowing apart.

Any video on that through the news, etc. ? Impressive winds. I assume these are straight line, what's the dynamics that created this ?

Here we are receiving rain since 9pm last night. A day ahead of rain from gentle rain, to brief thunderstorms.

Looks like the sacrificial newt ceremony is paying off.

We're expecting up to 2" in my area, some may see 3".

46* heavy overcast, rain till 5 pm then windy briefly tonight, then sunny and 45* Wednesday

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Are you sure you don't live in North Texas ?

That's like the hurricane experiences down here on the Gulf coast. We get time to tape windows or evacuate, but sleeping in halls or central rooms is common in areas subject to hurricanes and tornados. I'm amazed you guys are seeing such powerful winds. What were the winds in the upper levels in the mountains? Or was the wind down where your are ?

Glad everyone is A-ok.

PS - Ck your pm's

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

true but then again in a winter like this we take anything in any way possable as exciting events are hard to come by this winter in nearly just about everything.but no question those wind events in febuary 2011 and march 2008 were about as good as they come.

March 2008 was nuts, and it was followed by the derecho in June 2008 and the great New Years 2009 windstorm. All of them were top tier events. Can you remember which station was the one that reached 137mph on the gust front in 2008? Can't remember if it was wintergreen or somewhere else. Looking for the data but can't find it anymore.

I think all three airports gusted past 70mph in that event.

March 2008 was nuts, and it was followed by the derecho in June 2008 and the great New Years 2009 windstorm. All of them were top tier events. Can you remember which station was the one that reached 137mph on the gust front in 2008? Can't remember if it was wintergreen or somewhere else. Looking for the data but can't find it anymore.

I think all three airports gusted past 70mph in that event.

I have no clue unfortunately didn't really pay much attention was more or less enjoying the moment of it at the time lol.

The approach of the severe squall line. If you look carefully you can see a transformer flash on the bottom of the cloud.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/46663DE1-22D7-4DBE-9D56-43CE8AC86239_zpscxgakn2n.jpg

Summary from the area:

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/A24059EE-5E2C-47DF-8A1C-EB5F2E1BEC4A_zpssa5qorb8.png

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/49723D56-B6AF-44BA-8975-0A931D59978B_zpslb9ddgao.png

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/461A6115-25D9-43FD-AF4B-A101EAB6554E_zpsyuniis7h.png

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/329ED099-0145-43A3-91C2-FCAE7FBC3FE5_zps7hedl2ig.png

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/7BE62A4E-9C30-47D4-A976-C5085E40480E_zpsym46qn3l.png

Peak gusts outside the mountains mostly in the 65-75mph range it seems. Mountains obviously got the brunt of it..the 110mph gust at wintergreen was their strongest since 2008.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/69651E68-4558-49E1-BC45-820F2475B354_zpsxlgtkfyb.jpg

That piece of gutter. Talk about perfect positioning:

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/9156477A-2CC2-46F1-9DEB-61340B18A2A3_zpsa9xeddam.jpg

Wind is back at it today. Gusts to around 40mph.

Once wind season starts, spring follows in ~ 4-5 weeks. Rule of thumb around here. Last year, we waited until mid/late March for the winds to start, and spring arrived late. #organicforecting

So this year, mid/late March should be our time. :)

So, the groundhog was right.

A few snow squalls blowing through, typical stuff. Each one lasts about 5-10mins, gusts around 40mph, clears up and quiets down, rinse, repeat.

Screw it. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/02/17/d-c-s-strangely-springlike-february-is-about-to-get-even-weirder/?utm_term=.06cac68beb75

Always thought this would be a warmer than average winter, but seriously, these last few winters have been ridiculous in the blowtorch department. This is even worse than the awful stretch from February 2011 to December 2012.

Just realized that dewpoints start getting iffy in ~ 10 weeks.

Warmth in February is also a bad sign if you're rooting for a cool summer. Gonna be a rough one I think. Yaack.

Temperature this morning was 27.7 degrees. Warmed up to a gorgeous 72 degrees this afternoon, and have since dropped more than 20 degrees over the last several hours via radiational cooling. Dry early spring warmth ftw. :)

Yikes.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/533FBD43-84FE-403C-8E0E-D634840CAF33_zps6f9smktq.jpg

Just realized that dewpoints start getting iffy in ~ 10 weeks.

Warmth in February is also a bad sign if you're rooting for a cool summer. Gonna be a rough one I think. Yaack.

agreed good news about next fall winter perhaps is that it can'take get much worse then it is right now as we have lost all our winter months this winter time to hit the reverse button in the next few years.dropping solar winds and continue lowering of cycle 24 would certainly support a new drection.

agreed good news about next fall winter perhaps is that it can'take get much worse then it is right now as we have lost all our winter months this winter time to hit the reverse button in the next few years.dropping solar winds and continue lowering of cycle 24 would certainly support a new drection.

Sounds a lot like what I said last year about this winter, haha.

I thought this winter couldn't possible finish more pathetically than last winter in terms of cold. I was dead wrong.

BWI tied with 1949-50 for least snowy winter of all-time (0.7").

One of the worst (if not the worst) winters I can remember.

75* Overcast

Dewpoint 67*

Humidity 75%

We expect to get 1" of Spring-like rain tonight in to early morning.  I stress "Spring-like"  :/

Next week sunny, temps near or at 80*....big wup.

Potential for some severe weather here next weekend. Would be early climatologically speaking, but after last February I'm taking it more seriously. That turned out to be the best severe event of the year in my area, though that's mostly because I got shafted thereafter.

BWI tied with 1949-50 for least snowy winter of all-time (0.7").

One of the worst (if not the worst) winters I can remember.

alot of those 1950s winters sucked in our reagion it wasn't until 57-58 when things turned around in a big way and lead into the awesome 60s historicaly wise.this winter as you said is about as bad as things can get if you're a cold snow fan last winter may have sucked for cold but it did have a couple events big January storm and ice snow event febuary to severe weather which saved it from being a all out failure this winter is a all out failure of failures.

My rain gauge had 3 1/2" in it this morning. Heavy rains in Texas.

HillCountry/Central Texas had 70mph winds and very heavy rain, same for Houston further southeast. Tornado watches there.

Wind damage and Lightning strikes all over this he place.

Currently 59* but by Thursday we'll have 82*

Then a wind shift and back down to 68*.

Next weekend we could see more rain and temps in the 50's.

Sure sounds like spring.

• Like 1

My rain gauge had 3 1/2" in it this morning. Heavy rains in Texas.

HillCountry/Central Texas had 70mph winds and very heavy rain, same for Houston further southeast. Tornado watches there.

Wind damage and Lightning strikes all over this he place.

Currently 59* but by Thursday we'll have 82*

Then a wind shift and back down to 68*.

Next weekend we could see more rain and temps in the 50's.

Sure sounds like spring.

Stay safe!

Currently 64 degrees and boring here.

• Like 1

They've adjusted the temp Thurs. to 85*.

Lovely :/

No wind today for the first time in..as long as I can remember?

Must be the apocalypse.

I've never experienced a torch like this in February. Like, this is insane stuff. Already over 70F by 1130AM.

Some severe weather possible on Saturday.

92* today. This is waaay off guys.

68 tomorrow. Low 38*, then 59*.

Yeah, that should kill us. I feel so lousy with all these temperature swings.

Enough already.

Fred is in line for some action. Just a few lightning strikes and breezy conditions here.

Echo tops are collapsing somewhat as the squall line approaches Fred. Hopefully the deeper convection can sustain until it gets to his area. Dude deserves some severe weather after last year's failure there, not to mention a crap winter.