January 2014 Observations and Discussion

DominicR

The only thing interesting in the southern plains is the total boredom.

We will be have. 30* difference between today's and tomorrow's high as a front rolls through but it's dry and no doubt windy.

Low tomorrow night around 24*. Typical North Texas for January. Zzzzz........

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

This forum has become really quiet since moving to the new page. Hopefully the upcoming snow potential will change that. This used to be a really good forum.

It does not look to active because we split sub-forums for Lakes. There are plenty of registered NE/IA posters here just nothing I guess to exciting to discuss about. We will continue to work and build Plains region :D

It does not look to active because we split sub-forums for Lakes. There are plenty of registered NE/IA posters here just nothing I guess to exciting to discuss about. We will continue to work and build Plains region :D

A lot of the Iowa posters are posting in the Great Lakes region. It's mainly Nebraska folks here. And yeah, we have nothing to talk about. It's about as dead as the grass outside on this forum. Honestly, I don't like the split up since I like hearing your guys' input from the Great Lakes on upcoming events, but still a good site.

A lot of the Iowa posters are posting in the Great Lakes region. It's mainly Nebraska folks here. And yeah, we have nothing to talk about. It's about as dead as the grass outside on this forum. Honestly, I don't like the split up since I like hearing your guys' input from the Great Lakes on upcoming events, but still a good site.

Yeah eastern IA we consider part of Great Lakes but from Des Moine west is part of Plains and there members from KS and then you have Andie. I know much more busy in Great Lakes forum obviously the snow weenies there because when it gets warm it will become much more dead. When there something to talk about it will be active here. There a lot of Hastings-Omaha people here.

I'm really rooting for you guys in Nebraska and Western Iowa to get a big storm. With all of the blocking setting up a West to East pattern seems likely for February. Like Tom said the GFS already shows something for the early February period with a West to East track. It will not be surprising if we can all benefit from storms in February in the Plains and the Great Lakes.

Looks like the GFS is picking up on a more active pattern for Western Mo/NE/Western IA. If we don't get it this go round than I'll start to worry. My fingers are crossed I get any precipitation.

You and me both, it looks to me things start to get real active next week. Can it be we get hit by a clipper followed by a monster colorado low??? If we miss out on this pattern change I would have to say we are cursed!! 

You and me both, it looks to me things start to get real active next week. Can it be we get hit by a clipper followed by a monster colorado low??? If we miss out on this pattern change I would have to say we are cursed!! [/

quote]

Let's hope so though models still show it to be pretty underwhelming around here.

EURO a little too far north but I'm liking the precip in the plains and esp. in Nebraska. Like I said, even if we can drop 2" rain around here, I'd be satisfied. It's really getting to the point where I'd prefer precip over anything because I don't want our spring/summer to be ruined by the drought again. Really hoping we can generate one snowstorm! GFS/EURO FINALLY hinting at it too. Time to wake up folks in the Plains, this COULD be our first legitimate storm to track that just might blanket the ground for us for the first time since mid-december.

--

Yet another high wind warning here in Lincoln and most of Nebraska. Can't remember this many high wind warnings ever in a span of 2 weeks,  I think this is our fourth. Our highest wind gust measured out of them was 68 m.p.h., wonder if we'll break it today.

Some of the other models seem to be pushing these first couple of systems a bit north. such as the euro and a couple of the other gfs models.Do you think this is a trend or do you think they will correct themselves and settle back further south to catch the southern cities in Nebraska?

EURO a little too far north but I'm liking the precip in the plains and esp. in Nebraska. Like I said, even if we can drop 2" rain around here, I'd be satisfied. It's really getting to the point where I'd prefer precip over anything because I don't want our spring/summer to be ruined by the drought again. Really hoping we can generate one snowstorm! GFS/EURO FINALLY hinting at it too. Time to wake up folks in the Plains, this COULD be our first legitimate storm to track that just might blanket the ground for us for the first time since mid-december.

--

Yet another high wind warning here in Lincoln and most of Nebraska. Can't remember this many high wind warnings ever in a span of 2 weeks,  I think this is our fourth. Our highest wind gust measured out of them was 68 m.p.h., wonder if we'll break it today.

I must say it has been unusually windy around these parts. If we would have had any snow depth around here we would have had numerous ground blizzards. Just crazy what the red river valley has been experiencing this year, snow depth 1-2 feet and I believe this is like there 5th blizzard warning. Good to see the pattern will turn way from the nw flow to a more sw flow. Hoping to see a couple Colorado lows in February, just like you said Midwest we need any type of precip.

Had a 61 mph wind gust here in Omaha just before 6 tonight

53 was the max here. Still insane. NEJeremy, I think that if any shift is going to happen it will be south, especially given the frigid temps up north. With a SW flow it will likely stay further south than is projected. CPC is showing above average precip in Nebraska! First time I've seen that in a long time..

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/610day/index.php

Pretty bad when Houston and North Carolina coast gets snow and you guys north are left hanging.

But the cold is really diving deep this year.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Austin, Tx to Houston receiving ice and some snow. This is tracking all the way through the Deep South to give Charleston and Savannah, Ga. Several inches of snow. New Orleans is dealing with ice.

DFW area is warming up to 22* at 10am with wind chills around 11*. Dry and sunny however.

The silver lining for us is we will see 70* on Saturday !

Austin, Tx to Houston receiving ice and some snow. This is tracking all the way through the Deep South to give Charleston and Savannah, Ga. Several inches of snow. New Orleans is dealing with ice.

DFW area is warming up to 22* at 10am with wind chills around 11*. Dry and sunny however.

The silver lining for us is we will see 70* on Saturday !

Just crazy, and I bet there will be numerous traffic accidents as this storm is hitting an area that just doesn't see a storm like this. I would almost have to bet some areas will see there season snow total from this one storm. 

Just crazy, and I bet there will be numerous traffic accidents as this storm is hitting an area that just doesn't see a storm like this. I would almost have to bet some areas will see there season snow total from this one storm. 

Dude right?!?! Look at the homepage of NOAA. look at all those winter storm warnings. areas on the Gulf of Mexico up to a 1/2" ice accumulation?! What is going on that's insane! It never gets that cold down there. Hope the wildlife out there is okay haha :) it's a record breaking year for them down there for sure in terms of cold and winter precip.

Dude right?!?! Look at the homepage of NOAA. look at all those winter storm warnings. areas on the Gulf of Mexico up to a 1/2" ice accumulation?! What is going on that's insane! It never gets that cold down there. Hope the wildlife out there is okay haha :) it's a record breaking year for them down there for sure in terms of cold and winter precip.

And yet we are left with frigid air and zero precipitation up in Nebraska.  We are definitely getting the shaft out of a winter that is willing to give to almost anybody.

We got a 1/4 inch of ice in the last storm here and it was insane made worse by the fact it remained in a deep freeze for days.

The Gulf seeing up to 1/2 is virtually apocalyptic. In no way are they prepared for this. Hurricanes yes, this no way. Many people slept in their cars overnight, abandoned their cars, and children stayed in 6 elementary school overnight as they didn't close schools fast enough. Wind chills right now are in the single digits.

This deep cold is shaking things up. You have to ask if this will repeat itself considering the insanely cold winters ongoing in other parts of the world winter after winter.

image.jpg