February 2017 Observations and Model Discussion for the Pacific Northwest

stuffradio

Eh. I don't think it is that bad of a call. Unlikely anyone sees 2 inches, but a little bit of snow followed by some freezing rain certainly still looks possible. Might as well warn people. 

Actually, I just saw a sounding from the 12z WRF-GFS and it looks really unimpressive. It pretty much just shows some cold rain. 

• Like 1

At least we still have the JMA  :lol:

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/jma/2017020112/jma_T850_us_6.png

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/jma/2017020112/jma_T850_us_7.png

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

Actually, I just saw a sounding from the 12z WRF-GFS and it looks really unimpressive. It pretty much just shows some cold rain. 

Yeah, snow to freezing rain would be one thing but at this point nothing is actually supporting snow and any zr accumulations look to be exremely light.

A freezing rain advisory for places near the gorge would be the way to go, not a regionwide winter storm watch.

Yeah, snow to freezing rain would be one thing but at this point nothing is actually supporting snow and any zr accumulations look to be exremely light.

A freezing rain advisory for places near the gorge would be the way to go, not a regionwide winter storm watch.

noticed the latest rpm took all westside snow away even in the coast range.

Euro doesn't look to improve. Hard to tell with limited access though

It's pretty much crap south of the border.  Maybe 2-3" around Bellingham.  Trace to 1" or 2 south of there, but temps are pretty marginal.  It shows close to 10" for Shawnigan Lake Friday and another 8-10" Sunday.  But shifting the track of Sundays storm even 100miles will have huge implications.

Well, that de-escalated quickly!

• Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Well, the wave-2 follow up fails, and the vortex returns. These events are just so unstable and unpredictable sometimes.

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/hattard/realtime/u_65N_10hpa.png

The models will continue to struggle in the medium and long term, going forward. Don't give up on anything yet.

We had a pretty good run. I am actually looking forward to warm weather this spring. :o

No doubt we did!

I want to see the Puget Sound region score before winter is over though.

As for spring, I am looking forward to lots of mountain snow and lowland highs in the mid-40s. Frequent cold hail showers. :wub:

Looking at the larger scale upper level pattern... The difference between a foot of snow (yesterday's runs) and hardly anything (today's)... is extremely small. The results for us are worlds different, yet when looking at the entire pattern for North America... this general area is the only area greatly affected. I mean, the pattern STILL predicted is a lot different than the one being shown before things changed drastically for the better a couple of days ago. 

Looking at the larger scale upper level pattern... The difference between a foot of snow (yesterday's runs) and hardly anything (today's)... is extremely small. The results for us are worlds different, yet when looking at the entire pattern for North America... this general area is the only area greatly affected. I mean, the pattern STILL predicted is a lot different than the one being shown before things changed drastically for the better a couple of days ago.

You're holding on to hope... just let it go and be free.

I hope we can scrape up something near the end of the month when tropical forcing returns to the La Ninã regions

• Like 1

Looking at the latest PNA forecast I think after the possible slop/rain on Friday I would say winter is pretty much wrapped up. Such a shame, at least my daughter and I were able to build one snowman back before Christmas. I can never remember a winter where we had SO much potential that just crapped on us Puget Sounders over and over again. Oh well!

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

Looking at the latest PNA forecast I think after the possible slop/rain on Friday I would say winter is pretty much wrapped up. Such a shame, at least my daughter and I were able to build one snowman back before Christmas. I can never remember a winter where we had SO much potential that just crapped on us Puget Sounders over and over again. Oh well!

The latest GFS and 00z ECMWF shows the PNA staying negative until the 9th or 10th.