Rank Your Winter So Far

snow_wizard

I thought it would be interesting if people shared their thoughts about how this winter has gone so far. In spite of shortcomings for the Seattle area I think it has at least gotten into the respectable category now.

No question whatsoever for persistent and recurrent cold this winter has ranked quite high for pretty much everyone in the NW. In spite of that there has been little if any top tier cold in most areas when compared to most if not all top 10% winters. On the other hand major lakes freezing over is certainly worth some style points.

On the question of snow some places such as Northern Whatcom County, SW BC, and NW Oregon have been quite impressive and in some cases outstanding. The recent snowfall in the Puget Sound region has at least managed to bring most places up to somewhere near average and in some cases above average for a winter to this point. SEA has actually performed quite well with nearly a foot so far this winter thanks to the January C-Zone snowfall.

Given the repetitive nature of this winter the chances are reasonable we will have another round of cold and lowland snow a bit later on which could add some to the overall grade for this winter. Anyway I will rate where I think some places are at based on my impressions.

Covington - B (B- if this ends up being it for the winter).

SEA - B+

PDX - A-

South half Whatcom County - B

North half Whatcom County - A / A-

SW BC - A / A-

Snohomish / Skagit Counties - C+

OLM - B

People from CA can feel free to post in this thread also.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

B+

60 inches of snow.   Many sunny days... and also many sunny days with snow on the ground which does not always happen.   Many dry days.   Lots of offshore flow.

Will move it to A- if we do not end up in an endless rainy pattern for the rest of February and March.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

B+

60 inches of snow.   Many sunny days... and also many sunny days with snow on the ground which does not always happen.   Many dry days.   Lots of offshore flow.

Will move it to A- if we do not end up in an endless rainy pattern for the rest of February and March.

No doubt snow on the ground with sunny days is the best of all. You've had a great winter there. Since this winter has played out kind of like a poor man's 1948-49 it would be nice to have a spring like 1949 also.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

No doubt snow on the ground with sunny days is the best of all. You've had a great winter there. Since this winter has played out kind of like a poor man's 1948-49 it would be nice to have a spring like 1949 also.

I am not sure about the spring of 1949... I would love a spring like 1951 though.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

It sounds like we're spring shopping! I wonder how much a 1951 would go for on Amazon.

I would pay a nice price for it!  

Snowy March and then gorgeous with lots of sunny days. 

A+ considering I have little to compare to. This time last winter, temps were moderating very quickly and the threat of cold temps and snow had passed. Only managed to accumulate 15" of snowpack before it all started melting.

This winter has been one over running event after another, starting late November early December (I'm a horrible record keeper). The only melting that has occurred since snowpack began accumulating was the weekend of January 20, 21, 22. I lost 5" of snowpack in those three days. No big deal. Still have 26" of snow pack as of today 3pm.

This area I live in is pure climate epicness. REAL winters and very hot and dry summers. Wife and I absolutely love it. I often wonder what next winter is going to be like considering the decrease in solar activity. Our only means of snow removal is our 4x4 ATV which works very well up until around 8" on the ground. Going to need a real pickup truck plow.

According to the life long locals, however, this winter has been average. I find this intriguing yet a little scary. Which is why this summer I am investing in a plow setup on my pickup. Who knows, winter of 17'-18' might feature back to back snowstorms that drop snow measurable in FEET. No ATV plow is going to take care of that

B+

50" broken at Airport today

30 year average is 37" and long term is 45".

1996-1997 is 110"+ record.

Would be an A winter if it wasn't so D**n cold and just as snowy(but still below freezing to keep the snow around).

A+ if a monthly snowfall record was broken or you could ski something around town that comes into shape once in 20 years.

B+

50" broken at Airport today

30 year average is 37" and long term is 45".

1996-1997 is 110"+ record.

Would be an A winter if it wasn't so D**n cold and just as snowy(but still below freezing to keep the snow around).

A+ if a monthly snowfall record was broken or you could ski something around town that comes into shape once in 20 years.

I'm keeping my eye on Missoula. Looks like a great climate from what I can tell. I can imagine how cold it's been there since it's been this cold here.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

A+ considering I have little to compare to. This time last winter, temps were moderating very quickly and the threat of cold temps and snow had passed. Only managed to accumulate 15" of snowpack before it all started melting.

This winter has been one over running event after another, starting late November early December (I'm a horrible record keeper). The only melting that has occurred since snowpack began accumulating was the weekend of January 20, 21, 22. I lost 5" of snowpack in those three days. No big deal. Still have 26" of snow pack as of today 3pm.

This area I live in is pure climate epicness. REAL winters and very hot and dry summers. Wife and I absolutely love it. I often wonder what next winter is going to be like considering the decrease in solar activity. Our only means of snow removal is our 4x4 ATV which works very well up until around 8" on the ground. Going to need a real pickup truck plow.

According to the life long locals, however, this winter has been average. I find this intriguing yet a little scary. Which is why this summer I am investing in a plow setup on my pickup. Who knows, winter of 17'-18' might feature back to back snowstorms that drop snow measurable in FEET. No ATV plow is going to take care of that

I would imagine you are seeing it as A+ because of what you're comparing it to where you used to live. I'm sure that area is capable of greater....certainly colder. The only concern for next winter is the possible Nino. On the other hand the context will be pretty similar to 2006-07 so it might still be ok. I'm thinking major Nina for 2018-19 with a likely positive QBO and VERY low solar. Could be totally epic for all of us.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

A-.

Unequivocally the best since 2008-09 in this area, would maybe need one more decent snowfall to bump it up to an A.

It could end up being a huge debate whether this winter tops 2008-09 or not. Could come down to what particular area you are talking about. For persistence of cold this one is certainly better. I think one more cold wave would put this one above 2008-09 with little question.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It could end up being a huge debate whether this winter tops 2008-09 or not. Could come down to what particular area you are talking about. For persistence of cold this one is certainly better. I think one more cold wave would put this one above 2008-09 with little question.

Going to be tough for most to match 2008-09's snow totals, but for cold this one has certainly been far more impressive. I think another arctic airmass and widespread snow event here would elevate it above 2008-09.

A

1) Double digit snowfall total

2) Monthly average of 33.5F in coldest month

3) Persistent cold, back to back months of 37.2F or colder

3) 11 degree minimum

4) Four consecutive days with maximums in the 20's

This is the first winter in PDX history in which those five criteria have been met.

Overall, I would say this was the best all-around winter for Portland since 1978-79.

• Like 1

A

3) 11 degree minimum

This is the first winter in PDX history in which those five criteria have been met.

Overall, I would say this was the best all-around winter for Portland since 1978-79.

Impressive stats... you need to post more.   Fascinating stuff.    :)

I'm keeping my eye on Missoula. Looks like a great climate from what I can tell. I can imagine how cold it's been there since it's been this cold here.

I remember you saying your wife wants to be near a major city. Missoula is a very desirable place to live so home prices are high.

Finally there is something to affirm after 6 years of drought. Rain is generally the focus of what makes a "good" winter in California but temperatures matter also considering extended periods of abnormally warm weather [i.e. February 2016: mean: 68°].

Some areas of the state have received/ exceeded what would be year end normal amounts for snowfall w/ 2-3 more months in the wet season. Most dams/ reservoirs are at or above normal historical capacity even in SoCal [Castaic]. LA has 15.74 of rain which is above yearly normal [14.77]. On this date in 2011 I had a total: 21.45. Recent data indicates only parts of the Mojave desert [Palmdale/ Needles] w/ below normal rainfall.  Sonoran desert should have great wild flower season next month.

Dec/ Jan averaged below normal [Jan mean: 56.9/° norm: 60.6°]. Arctic air briefly penetrated NorCal a few times this winter; frost has been scarce in SoCal.

Don't believe you have grades low enough for ours, but I'm glad to live vicariously through others.

Quite an eastern snow going right now, but winter isn't over yet.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

I'd give it a B+ here.

8.5" of snow is nothing special, but most of it came in 2 separate solid snowstorms and the enormous amount of cold, dry weather has been enjoyable. Skating on ponds multiple times this year has been really special and I'll never forget walking out on Green Lake.

Before Sunday night's snowstorm, I would have had trouble giving it above a B- though. Snow is too important to me to go higher than that with less than 5" of snow.

If I can score some CZ snow at some point and get up to a foot of snow for the Winter, I'd push it to an A-.

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

A

3) 11 degree minimum

Very impressive. Even without a true top tier blast your area pulled off some impressive cold. Let's hope this is the beginning of better times for us.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

It's an B+/A- I would say for SLC.

Snowfall is well above average at this point, with more than we have had for several years.

We have had 3 big storms, and many moderate storms. Many sunny and cold days.

Dec and Jan were both below normal temperatures with the -6F in Jan the coldest reading since 1996 if I am remembering right.

February has been and continues to be boring though with no snowfall anytime soon. In fact its all gone because of very warm weather. Also, a complete lack of east wind storms all winter.

I suspect that ranking may drop a bit if we don't see any more action, but no lower than a B given the heavy snowfall we have seen up to this point. Its been fun. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

A-

Snowfall is what makes or breaks a winter for me personally. I do enjoy the cold but enjoy it much more with snowfall.

Initially it was hard seeing the lower mainland score big time while I had cold rain or 1" of snow but things turned around.

1) 13 days of snow cover (Dec 5 - Dec 18). Easily the most since Dec 08'

2) Dec was a solidly cold month. Mean temp of 35F (Average is 38F)

3) Waking up to a dusting of snow Christmas AM. Almost counts as white Christmas?

4) Mulitple >1" snowfalls between Dec 5th and current

The last week has really made this winter go from a C+ to an A-.

-2" of snow last Thursday night-Friday AM (Feb 2-3)

-8" of snow last Friday night - Saturday AM (Feb 3-4)

-1" of snow Sunday evening (Feb 5)

- 6" last night (Feb 8)

This has been the best winter up here since 2008-2009.

It's an B+/A- I would say for SLC.

Snowfall is well above average at this point, with more than we have had for several years.

We have had 3 big storms, and many moderate storms. Many sunny and cold days.

Dec and Jan were both below normal temperatures with the -6F in Jan the coldest reading since 1996 if I am remembering right.

February has been and continues to be boring though with no snowfall anytime soon. In fact its all gone because of very warm weather. Also, a complete lack of east wind storms all winter.

I suspect that ranking may drop a bit if we don't see any more action, but no lower than a B given the heavy snowfall we have seen up to this point. Its been fun.

It's very interesting how the situations that really favor snow in WA normally involve the southern half of Idaho and Utah torching. Usually when the cold is restricted to the northern tier is when we get nailed. Worked out again this time.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

A, at least since mid-December, or the calendar winter.

As far as snow goes, we had the best of both worlds here.  There is less snow on the ground in the valley floors than there normally is, but more than normal in the mountains, where it is needed.

As far as temperatures go, it has been a very mild winter, despite a January cold snap that send winter temperatures down to -37 downtown and -43 at the house.   All three winter season months have been warmer than normal this season.

So far this season, the temperature has only been below zero on 23 days at the airport and 30 days at my house, which is remarkably mild.  Thus far February has been a whopping 16 degrees above normal!

It's very interesting how the situations that really favor snow in WA normally involve the southern half of Idaho and Utah torching. Usually when the cold is restricted to the northern tier is when we get nailed. Worked out again this time.

That can be true, but its also true that for my area to do really well I usually look to the NW to get hit first. PDX had several snow events when I was getting snow the same day or the next day this year. Funny how it works out sometimes. 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

A-

If I get some good snow the end of the month into March it will elevate this to a solid A. The sustained cold of December and January were fantastic.

For the Salem area it is the best winter since 1992-1993, this year has been colder, but cannot compare to the 32" of snow that fell that winter. About 12" this winter.

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

I'd say an F here, so far at least. Only ~ 4" of snow, blizzards

slamming the Carolinas/VA Beach and NYC/New England. Also no single digit lows, no sub-20 highs, and fewer deep/phased storms once again, following last winter's debacle in that regard.

Of course, it only takes one March bomb to change everything, so I reserve the right to change this grade should some last minute magic somehow manifest.

That can be true, but its also true that for my area to do really well I usually look to the NW to get hit first. PDX had several snow events when I was getting snow the same day or the next day this year. Funny how it works out sometimes.

It is interesting how many times Seattle and Portland don't get hit with the same event. Many times both cities get nailed only in a the biggest winters. Too bad it happens that way, because there is almost always a group on the forum that feel cheated because other places are getting crushed.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

I would have to give North Bellingham a B overall for this winter. I have recorded 18" of snow between I think 8 separate events, none of which were in January if i'm not mistaken (dad brain). December 9th featured 1.5" of snow, December 17th 3.5", Dec 23rd 1.5" wet snow, December 31st .5"... and then 1" on Feb 3rd, 2" the 5th morning of the 5th, 6" on the 6th, and 2" on the 8th... I guess that is unifficially 18" of snow between 8 events. Temperature wise this winter has been outstanding overall. All major lakes in whatcom county either froze or partially froze over as far as I know. The only one i'm unsure about is Lake Samish...

Overall temperature grade: A-

(Overall Dec-feb average pretty remarkable)

Overall snowfall grade: B

(Hard to complain about 18")

Snowfall style points: B

(8 separate snowfalls is impressive, but only two were over 3")

Temperature style points C.

(No real impressive arctic blasts or exteme low max temps).

I give February an A- despite the fact we were only a dozen miles away from twice as much snow this month (so far).

Bellingham as a whole I'd give this winter a C. South Bellingham has gotten left out of the majority of these snow events because they've been so borderline. It wouldn't surprise me if Fairhaven had 6 inches of snow for the winter which is sad.

The more I think about this winter the weirder it seems to me... it almost feels like we've had multiple winters all packed into one. Alright i've over thought this now...

north and east county it doesn't get any better than this. Gobs of snow and very cold temperatures that have persisted almost all winter long.

I think Fairhaven has had like 9", but yeah they got totally cheated out of the December arctic front event. It was so weird walking along the bay from my house, from 3" on the ground here to absolutely nothing 1.5 miles south. I was happy that the February snow got the whole city pretty good. I appreciate a widespread snow a lot more than something localized.

In CA, it has definitely been "A" material for the vast majority of the state with much-needed rain and snow for drought relief. However, Ventura and Santa Barbara Counties and vicinity have still been a bit drier, so I will give that area a "B" so far. The reservoirs in that area, especially Lake Cachuma are still quite low as of right now. Hopefully that changes later this month and into March with that area getting some heavier storms.