March 2014 Observations & Discussion

clintbeed1993

Around 252 hr on the GFS it shows a potential severe weather outbreak. I'm like ... 

As much as I love severe weather outbreaks, I can't really say I would rather have that.  This winter has been absolutely terrible, and we really deserve at least 1 good snowstorm.  We have all spring and summer for severe weather, we are running out of time for a good snowstorm.

12Z GFS doesn't hold out much hope for anymore winter in most of Nebraska.  What a disappointment it has been.  Well below normal snowfall with some cold and lots of wind.  I am so jealous of Chicago to the east and the never ending parade of storms.  I guess if El Nino does come about for next winter we could hope for the southern branch of the jet to bring more storms, but I am always fearful that those will bypass us to the south and we will by high and dry for another winter.  We need severe weather season to come.

12Z GFS doesn't hold out much hope for anymore winter in most of Nebraska.  What a disappointment it has been.  Well below normal snowfall with some cold and lots of wind.  I am so jealous of Chicago to the east and the never ending parade of storms.  I guess if El Nino does come about for next winter we could hope for the southern branch of the jet to bring more storms, but I am always fearful that those will bypass us to the south and we will by high and dry for another winter.  We need severe weather season to come.

With El Nino coming, as long as it's not too strong, we could have a pretty decent winter next year. Our best winter in years happened during a weak El nino back in 09-10. The major reason for that was b/c of the negative NAO/AO so will see. This just wasn't our year; remember last year Chicago had a horrible winter like ours. Things change, will get our winter sometime.....

• Like 1

With El Nino coming, as long as it's not too strong, we could have a pretty decent winter next year. Our best winter in years happened during a weak El nino back in 09-10. The major reason for that was b/c of the negative NAO/AO so will see. This just wasn't our year; remember last year Chicago had a horrible winter like ours. Things change, will get our winter sometime.....

Agreed bro. I think this might be our year in severe weather, which IMO, if it's awesome, will totally make up for the winter. 

Wow it is quiet on the board. Any predictions of promising storms in the next couple of weeks or are we done? The way this winter has gone I am not holding out much hope.

Not looking great for storms.  I don't see the current pattern changing much at all.  Northwest Flow will continue and take the moisture to the east with it.

12Z NAM showing a system coming through Nebraska on Wednesday.  Looks fairly potent but not hearing much about it from NWS Hastings.  We will see if they talk about it in their afternoon weather forecast discussion.  Down the road, 12Z GFS shows a potent storm March 31-April 1.  If only it wasn't in fantasy land time.  I do see that we will have 50 MPH winds again tomorrow, so at least we have that going for us (kidding).

Just put into a winter weather advisory here in Phelps County.  30-50 MPH winds and snow is just beginning, nasty travel just to our west.  I hear reports just west of Phelps County of up to 5 inches of heavy wet snow.  At this point I don't care how long it lasts, just so we can get some precipitation.  Schools  west of here also were closing early.  Report from Cambridge of 3-4 inches of heavy snow and no power.  Small but potent storm.  Arnold had 9 inches according to NWS North Platte.

Heavy snow here, several inches of accumulation. Roads primarily just wet but very good moisture content. Much appreciated by all. Wishing it was an earlier season storm because we wouldn't have the melting that is occurring.

I'm up to 2", estimated, and still snowing. The band of snow that was supposed to fall apart has maintained its strength. I'll take it, Jeremy I'm holding my breath with what the gfs is showing I would gladly take half the amount that it's showing.

06 gfs shows up to 1 foot across Nebraska in the future. If gfs was correct this winter we would have record snowfall totals instead of the meager numbers that have materialized. How many times have we seen maps like this that don't verify? Could this be the one?

I'm not too confident about it.  Seems like the GFS keeps pushing the heavy moisture back into fantasy land.  We all know how accurate it is in fantasy land.  I'm ready for it to warm up and for severe weather season!

Right around the 1-3rd of April is when I think we will see a big storm. At least that's what has been showing up pretty consistently on the GFS. Unfortunately lately it has been mostly rain, when a few days ago almost every run showed snow for Nebraska. Bring on the severe weather though. I'm getting the itch to go out chasing and hopefully won't have to wait til May

Blizzard watches up north in so dak. and of course only a 20% chance of rain here but lots of wind. Someone shoot me please....

Can't really say you're surprised can you?  This year will go down as one of the most pathetic screw jobs this state has ever seen.  Seems we might have to start sacrificing children to mother nature for gosh sakes.

Dust Storm Warning today for Mccook Nebraska area.  WTF??  I cannot believe Nebraska is slowing but surely turning into the desert southwest.  Extreme drought is creeping back into Southwestern Nebraska, and it won't be long before it makes it further East if this pattern doesn't change.