March 2017 Observations and Discussion

Tom

A lot of excitement over here.  There was 80-90 mph wind reported west of Cedar Rapids.  Then we had sirens going off for a possible brief spinup sw of the city.  There was a lot of nice lightning with fairly calm conditions, then a wall of 50 mph wind, torrential rain, and small hail hit instantly.

• Like 1

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

A lot of excitement over here. There was 80-90 mph wind reported west of Cedar Rapids. Then we had sirens going off for a possible brief spinup sw of the city. There was a lot of nice lightning with fairly calm conditions, then a wall of 50 mph wind, torrential rain, and small hail hit instantly.

Do you know if there were any confirmed tornados? Warnings still up east of you.

Do you know if there were any confirmed tornados? Warnings still up east of you.

Haven't heard of any, but it may be tough to confirm any brief spinups in the dark.  Mostly, there are just a lot of 60-70 mph wind reports.

season snowfall: 34.8"

'22-23: 30.2"      '21-22: 27.1"      '20-21: 52.5"      '19-20: 36.2"      '18-19: 50.2"      '17-18: 39.5"

Average snowfall: ~30"

What an active day yesterday in the severe wx dept.  Saw this tweet:

29 reported tornadoes yesterday, 253 wind reports, 93 hail reports; Total 375 severe wx reports. Most tornadoes in March since 3/2 2012

C6T_0T8U8AI3Lfq.jpg

Blizzard Warnings still ongoing for ND where their winter started in late November and prob won't end till sometime in April.  Pretty good snow depth for parts of that state.  

http://www.nohrsc.noaa.gov/snow_model/images/full/Upper_Midwest/nsm_depth/201703/nsm_depth_2017030705_Upper_Midwest.jpg

Quite the day yesterday weatherwise. I saw a note somewhere that Sioux City, IA made it to 80 during the day and had a dusting of snow last night. It was amazing to see the continuous huge line of storms from MN/WI all the way down to AR/OK, and almost the entire line was warned. I'm not sure I remember having so many tornado warnings come out of a line of storms. Sure you can get QLCS spinups, but there were a lot last night. 

I went out for a close chase since the storms basically formed just west of me. I ventured into western Iowa and eventually gave up trying to stay in front of the line north of Atlantic IA. Experienced some gusty winds and pea sized hail. I started to head back home and within 30 minutes the line had a tornado warning to my northeast but no chance of catching anything that was moving 55-65 mph. I saw one warning had storm motion at 90 mph! Here in Omaha, there was a report of 70 mph winds in northwest Omaha and some hail up to one inch.

It looks like there was quite a bit of damage in northeast KS to near and just northeast of Kansas City last night. Several confirmed tornadoes there.

Dry thunderstorms....where am I the desert southwest??

MPX:

A rather unusual convective scenario develops this afternoon.

Despite the very dry dew points, an extremely deeply mixed

atmosphere to 500 mb (and therefore nearly dry adiabatic lapse rates

throughout a large portion of the atmosphere) will still allow for

150-300 J/kg of surface-based CAPE to develop late this

afternoon. Added isolated thunderstorms to the grids from south

central MN to west central WI after 3 pm where a subtle mid level

speed max is evident. These thunderstorms could be dry, a very

rare occurrence in this area of the country. Localized higher wind

gusts would be the sole threat.

Nice, mild day today with temps in the upper 50s to near 60. Cannot wait for Spring to arrive.

Snowfall for Winter 2023 -24 for Metro Detroit Area 

Oct 2023: 0.2" AN

Nov 2023: 2.2" AN

Dec 2023: 0.5" BN Insane!

Jan 2024: 17.0" AN

Feb 2024: 1.9"  BN Insane!

Mar 2024: 4.9" BN

April 2024: Trace

Season So Far: 26.7"

Any thunderstorms really weaken as they moved east last night across MI.

I am under a High Wind Warning. :blink:

The entire Lakes region is underneath either a Wind Advisory/Warning.  Haven't seen the wind roar for 2+ days in a row in a long time.  Lot's of buds and tree branches are being knocked down.  Literally, I can hear nature "roaring" as March rolls on.

Several stations in ND reported 64mph gusts yday. Staples,MN at midnight last night had sustained at 45mph G 58mph.

Wind chills Fri AM are going to be in -25 F to -35F in the N.DAK and N.MN----- ahhhh  Jan in March!!!!!

• Like 2

The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Right now, it is the windiest it has been all day here at my house. I have power poles waving in the wind. And of course, whole trees and waving in the wind as well. Last report from GRR was SW winds of 40 MPH with gusts of 51. Temperature there is 42° here at my house the temperature is 43° with full sun.

Update!

10:30 am – gust to 67 mph west of Walker, 64 mph last hour at Grand Rapids and 62 mph in Ionia.  Over 81,000 Consumers Energy customers without power – including 6.5% of Kent Co.

Extremely windy here today. Definitely some power outages will be occurring. Trees limbs are likely to fall off from trees as well. I put my garbage bins inside my garage, otherwise, they will end up in Korea with all of that wind.

• Like 1

Right now, it is the windiest it has been all day here at my house. I have power poles waving in the wind. And of course, whole trees and waving in the wind as well. Last report from GRR was SW winds of 40 MPH with gusts of 51. Temperature there is 42° here at my house the temperature is 43° with full sun.

Update!

10:30 am – gust to 67 mph west of Walker, 64 mph last hour at Grand Rapids and 62 mph in Ionia.  Over 81,000 Consumers Energy customers without power – including 6.5% of Kent Co.

The friction-less body of water to your west is not your friend today!

At their 2 PM reading at GRR the wind was reported at 51 MPH out of the west and gusting at 62 MPH. the wind looks to be dying down a bit as at 3 PM the winds were reported as west at 32 with guest at 55 MPH. With the sun out I have 46 here at my house and its 45 out at the airport. 

Lots of branches on the streets and even a few street lights were knocked down. Winds are howling tremendously. I had a wind gust of 68MPH. The air is also extremely dry with a RH @ 19% and DP at 11F and a temp of 46F. Skies are mostly sunny.