Dream Living Spot

Brennan

After Snowshoe, my fallback would be Denver CO. Low summer humidity, yet still manages decent summer thunderstorm action, fantastic winters, and a wide temperature variety.

Only downsides would be the general lack of precipitation and less frequent severe weather. Low dewpoints make up for that in my book, however.

I think Denver is probably the dream location for a well rounded weather location. Most winters are snowy, with huge storms being possible. It can get quite cold but its not necessarily relentlessly cold. Summers have lots of convection with severe convection being relatively frequent and yet its not too crazy humid. If you want really severe weather you can travel east, or you can head into the foothills to your west for hiking or more snow. Wind storms can occur from the west as well.

Only downside I think is that you can have some really dull dry periods if the wrong pattern sets up, similar to what is happening there this spring. 

If you are less into snow and more into thunderstorms anywhere in the central or southeastern US can fit that bill. I will never stop loving snow, but I've lived in a very snowy place for most of the last 10 years, I wouldn't mind going somewhere with less snow and more thunderstorms. 

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

I like where I live obviously, but maybe Revelstoke(improved climate, improved skiing, improved other things as well I bet)? If I had to pick based solely on the skiing I would pick SLC, but SLC climate itself is not very appealing to me(and the smog). Revelstoke is not a practical location at all for American, and probably a tough one for a non-retiree Canadian too.

I think Denver is probably the dream location for a well rounded weather location. Most winters are snowy, with huge storms being possible. It can get quite cold but its not necessarily relentlessly cold. Summers have lots of convection with severe convection being relatively frequent and yet its not too crazy humid. If you want really severe weather you can travel east, or you can head into the foothills to your west for hiking or more snow. Wind storms can occur from the west as well.

Only downside I think is that you can have some really dull dry periods if the wrong pattern sets up, similar to what is happening there this spring.

If you are less into snow and more into thunderstorms anywhere in the central or southeastern US can fit that bill. I will never stop loving snow, but I've lived in a very snowy place for most of the last 10 years, I wouldn't mind going somewhere with less snow and more thunderstorms.

Yeah, variety in weather and climate is more important than anything else to me. I could never live in a climate without four distinct seasons, a true severe weather season, and legitimate winter weather and snowfall. Unfortunately, some humidity is a necessary evil for the biggest and baddest thunderstorms, and a prerequisite for warm season progressive derechos, so it's hard to escape from if you're a severe weather junkie.

That said, while I don't mind somewhat humid climates, there's a difference between humid and *humid*. Where I live right now is just too ridiculous with humidity sometimes. Dewpoints here are often higher than in Key West or Cancun. It's just dumb.

Yeah, variety in weather and climate is more important than anything else to me. I could never live in a climate without four distinct seasons, a true severe weather season, and legitimate winter weather and snowfall. Unfortunately, some humidity is a necessary evil for the biggest and baddest thunderstorms, and a prerequisite for warm season progressive derechos, so it's hard to escape from if you're a severe weather junkie.

That said, while I don't mind somewhat humid climates, there's a difference between humid and *humid*. Where I live right now is just too ridiculous with humidity sometimes. Dewpoints here are often higher than in Key West or Cancun. It's just dumb.

Humidity is a factor for me although I am willing to live with muggy conditions so long as it rains. I like active monsoon/ tropical activity like the summer of 2015. If California had more reliable winter and summer rainfall than it would be pretty much perfect in my opinion.  As boring as the climate is here there are indicators [sometimes subtle] of seasonal change. By early July dew point temps noticeably rise maybe in response to warmer ocean temps and the 4 Corner's high sets up an easterly trade wind over the Southwest. Arizona & New Mexico get very active; some of that energy reaches California and can move right up the Sierra spine. I witnessed a remarkable thunderstorm move north into the Palm Springs area from out of the Gulf of California. We were driving toward Indio but quickly turned back to my uncle's house just in time. Flash flooding with mud up to car windows occurred on the highway we had just driven. I don't think dew points ever reach 80 degrees in California but anything over 70° makes people very irritable.

• Like 1

Hawaii is humid, but less so than Florida or much of the East Coast of the United States. Lower water temperatures help. In Florida the sea surface temperatures can reach the 90s in summer, which makes cooling off impossible even when swimming in the ocean. Hawaii usually has sea surface temperatures of between 78-82 F even in summer. Also they have the trade winds which make it feel cooler. There is a trade wind inversion that keeps them from having thunderstorms very often. I have noticed that there are lots of low clouds there which are about 5000-8000 feet in depth, much like when California has a very deep marine layer with a very weak inversion, except that Hawaii is much warmer due to warmer water than California, but still much cooler than Florida.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Another one of my favorite places is the Georgia Isles, namely the Saint Simons/Sea Island area. Since I was four years old, I've been spending a good portion of my summers down there and it's truly a beautiful area. Almost a second home to me at this point.

It's similar to DC in terms of summer humidity, but the coastal location, afternoon sea breezes, and daily thunderstorm activity moderates the daytime temperatures significantly. You can hear the ocean across most of the island (it's very narrow), the smell of salt water permeates the air, and the Spanish moss hanging from the 300+ year old trees is something to behold.

It's also a quiet, sparsely populated area. Winters are mild, but active enough wx-wise for my interests.

Hawaii is humid, but less so than Florida or much of the East Coast of the United States. Lower water temperatures help. In Florida the sea surface temperatures can reach the 90s in summer, which makes cooling off impossible even when swimming in the ocean. Hawaii usually has sea surface temperatures of between 78-82 F even in summer. Also they have the trade winds which make it feel cooler. There is a trade wind inversion that keeps them from having thunderstorms very often. I have noticed that there are lots of low clouds there which are about 5000-8000 feet in depth, much like when California has a very deep marine layer with a very weak inversion, except that Hawaii is much warmer due to warmer water than California, but still much cooler than Florida.

Yeah, I experienced this when visiting the Gulf Coast late in the summer of 2011. Not the most pleasant beach experience.

I just visited Pensacola this past weekend, and it was much more enjoyable. Temps in the 80s, with water temps in the 70s.

A forum for the end of the world.

I like the climate of Vero Beach, FL.

IMG_1234.PNG

Yikes, over 2 feet of rain every summer?

And here I thought DC was a swamp.

That's slightly below what most places in FL get in the summer, although some places are a bit drier like Key West. Then there are places like Naples with a pronounced dry season and a pronounced wet season, by FL standards at least. And don't forget Pensacola with much wetter winters and just as rainy summers, making for a more overall wetter climate than some of the more southern areas.

Ft. Lauderdale's climate looks pretty good to me.

• Like 1