Days Per Year of 90°> Where You Live

Guest happ

Death Valley is also sparsely populated but surprising how many people visit during summer; Europeans in particular seem to enjoy the intense heat.   

Yeah, when I visited there 11 years ago I was surprised out how many people were there and actually trekking across the sand in the heat. Guess people want that true desert experience.

A forum for the end of the world.

The problem with Dallol was that the station only existed from something like 1960 to 1966, and it wasn't an inhabited place. I think it was a mining site? It did hold the world record for highest average temperature over any 6 year span. 

Mecca, in Saudi Arabia, is by far the hottest decent-sized city in the world. Perhaps a small city might beat it although the UHI undoubtedly helps Mecca as well. According to Weatherbase for a 10 year POR Mecca averaged 298 days above 90 a year, the only months that 90s were less than 25 days on average were DJF.

Annual dewpoint in Mecca averages 62 F with a low average of 56 in Feb and a high average of 68 in Sept making it a fairly humid locale given the regularity of 100+ temps. It's basically Phoenix without even a hint of winter, with more humidity and with a longer period where highs average 100+.

• Like 1

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

The problem with Dallol was that the station only existed from something like 1960 to 1966, and it wasn't an inhabited place. I think it was a mining site? It did hold the world record for highest average temperature over any 6 year span. 

Given the location of Dallol fairly close to the equator a shorter POR is more representative of the climate than it would be for a mid-latitude location that experiences greater temp variability. IMO it's fairly valid assuming the data is accurate. Dallol however isn't a populated place. The hottest place in the world (uninhabited) is probably in the Afar Depression (near Dallol but slightly lower elevation...below sea level) which is likely a degree or so hotter for an annual average temp. The Dasht-e-Lut desert in SE Iran is often quoted as the spot that has recorded the highest "skin" (ground) temperature in the world as measured by satellite (172 F) but it's doubtful it has the highest annual mean temperature in the world.

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

Mecca, in Saudi Arabia, is by far the hottest decent-sized city in the world. Perhaps a small city might beat it although the UHI undoubtedly helps Mecca as well. According to Weatherbase for a 10 year POR Mecca averaged 298 days above 90 a year, the only months that 90s were less than 25 days on average were DJF.

Annual dewpoint in Mecca averages 62 F with a low average of 56 in Feb and a high average of 68 in Sept making it a fairly humid locale given the regularity of 100+ temps. It's basically Phoenix without even a hint of winter, with more humidity and with a longer period where highs average 100+.

Pretty sucky place to be home base for your religion.

• Like 1

The hottest place in the world (uninhabited) is probably in the Afar Depression (near Dallol but slightly lower elevation...below sea level) which is likely a degree or so hotter for an annual average temp. 

Dallol is in the the Afar (a.k.a. Danakil) Depression at 430 feet below sea level.   The lowest point in the depression is 515 feet, so Dallol is only 85 feet higher.

In the same region, Assab, Eritrea has an average dew point of 84F in some of the summer months.  Given the average temperatures of over 100F in the summer, that's pretty nasty.

Luckily much of Ethiopia has a pleasant climate, because of elevation.  If it weren't for the pollution, Addis Ababa (elevation just over 8000 feet) would be a contender for having the most pleasant climate in the world.   It has only hit 90 there once and have hit freezing only twice.   In the coolest month, daytime temperatures average 69.   In the hottest month, daytime temperatures average 78, with most of the year in the low 70's.

Annual dewpoint

On a side note, the highest dew point may belong to Dhraran in Saudi Arabia, with 95F (actually temperature of 108F).   The heat index was 176F(!) that day, which may be the highest in the world.  

Bankok Thailand is another place with oppressive heat/humidity combination.  Temperatures don't get nearly as hot as on the Arabian Peninsula or the Sahara an the land west of the Red Sea, but the humidity and heat are constantly oppressive.  

Back when I was young and would travel on the cheap, I spent time in Bankok trying to sleep without air conditioning.  Because of the humidity and sweat, most bed mattresses are covered in plastic.   I would try to sleep by soaking myself, but the humidity was so high that the water wouldn't evaporate.  People living there are used to it, but I don't think I ever got a good night sleep the whole time I was there. 

• Like 1

Dallol is in the the Afar (a.k.a. Danakil) Depression at 430 feet below sea level.   The lowest point in the depression is 515 feet, so Dallol is only 85 feet higher.

In the same region, Assab, Eritrea has an average dew point of 84F in some of the summer months.  Given the average temperatures of over 100F in the summer, that's pretty nasty.

Luckily much of Ethiopia has a pleasant climate, because of elevation.  If it weren't for the pollution, Addis Ababa (elevation just over 8000 feet) would be a contender for having the most pleasant climate in the world.   It has only hit 90 there once and have hit freezing only twice.   In the coolest month, daytime temperatures average 69.   In the hottest month, daytime temperatures average 78, with most of the year in the low 70's.

On a side note, the highest dew point may belong to Dhraran in Saudi Arabia, with 95F (actually temperature of 108F).   The heat index was 176F(!) that day, which may be the highest in the world.  

Bankok Thailand is another place with oppressive heat/humidity combination.  Temperatures don't get nearly as hot as on the Arabian Peninsula or the Sahara an the land west of the Red Sea, but the humidity and heat are constantly oppressive.  

Back when I was young and would travel on the cheap, I spent time in Bankok trying to sleep without air conditioning.  Because of the humidity and sweat, most bed mattresses are covered in plastic.   I would try to sleep by soaking myself, but the humidity was so high that the water wouldn't evaporate.  People living there are used to it, but I don't think I ever got a good night sleep the whole time I was there. 

Can't live without ceiling fans even in LA

Dallol is in the the Afar (a.k.a. Danakil) Depression at 430 feet below sea level. The lowest point in the depression is 515 feet, so Dallol is only 85 feet higher.

In the same region, Assab, Eritrea has an average dew point of 84F in some of the summer months. Given the average temperatures of over 100F in the summer, that's pretty nasty.

Luckily much of Ethiopia has a pleasant climate, because of elevation. If it weren't for the pollution, Addis Ababa (elevation just over 8000 feet) would be a contender for having the most pleasant climate in the world. It has only hit 90 there once and have hit freezing only twice. In the coolest month, daytime temperatures average 69. In the hottest month, daytime temperatures average 78, with most of the year in the low 70's.

On a side note, the highest dew point may belong to Dhraran in Saudi Arabia, with 95F (actually temperature of 108F). The heat index was 176F(!) that day, which may be the highest in the world.

Bankok Thailand is another place with oppressive heat/humidity combination. Temperatures don't get nearly as hot as on the Arabian Peninsula or the Sahara an the land west of the Red Sea, but the humidity and heat are constantly oppressive.

Back when I was young and would travel on the cheap, I spent time in Bankok trying to sleep without air conditioning. Because of the humidity and sweat, most bed mattresses are covered in plastic. I would try to sleep by soaking myself, but the humidity was so high that the water wouldn't evaporate. People living there are used to it, but I don't think I ever got a good night sleep the whole time I was there.

I visited Dubai once (in summer) several years back. I'm never doing it again..pure hell.

The Dasht-e-Lut desert in SE Iran is often quoted as the spot that has recorded the highest "skin" (ground) temperature in the world as measured by satellite (172 F) but it's doubtful it has the highest annual mean temperature in the world.

In contrast to the above, it is worth mentioning that the deadliest known blizzard on earth also happened in Iran in 1972:

http://devastatingdisasters.com/iran-blizzard-1972/

4000-5000 people died and in places in southern Iran, the snow depth (actually depth, not drifts) was 26 feet.   :o

In contrast to the above, it is worth mentioning that the deadliest known blizzard on earth also happened in Iran in 1972:

At 4000-5000 people died and in places in southern Iran, the snow depth (actually depth, not drifts) was 26 feet. :o

Yikes, wtf?

Death Valley is also sparsely populated but surprising how many people visit during summer; Europeans in particular seem to enjoy the intense heat.   

Some of them totally misjudge it and get themselves killed too. The "Death Valley Germans" case from back in the 1990's comes to mind. When that German family took a rental minivan onto Death Valley backroads on a 120 degree day. Blew a tire and ended up succumbing to the elements. 

4000-5000 people died and in places in southern Iran, the snow depth (actually depth, not drifts) was 26 feet.   :o

That's some suspect reporting on that website. I guarantee you there was no place in southern Iran that measured 312" snow depth (26 feet). 

Definitely a real event, but c'mon. 

On another note, the southern shore of the Caspian can get some pretty wicked lake effect snow. That's a long fetch over relatively warm water for a N-S wind blowing out of Russia. 

https://www.wunderground.com/blog/weatherhistorian/heaviest-snow-in-50-years-along-caspian-shore-of-iran

Chris Burt mentions the 1972 Iran blizzard toward the end of the article too, fwiw. He talks about 26 foot drifts...which would make more sense. Pretty amazing regardless.

That's some suspect reporting on that website. I guarantee you there was no place in southern Iran that measured 312" snow depth (26 feet). 

That source isn't the only one mentioning the snow depths; many others do as well (actually all other sources I see, besides the one you point out quote 26-28 feet).

https://www.google.com/search?q=iran+blizzard+1972&espv=2&rlz=1C1AOHY_enUS708US708&ei=xv_2WMtAyLiPA--4rPgL&start=0&sa=N&biw=1440&bih=809

Although they may come from exaggerated news sources, up to 9 meters of snow is reported on many sources.  26 drifts does seem more plausible, but the storm did completely wipe out entire villages with no survivors.  10 feet doesn't seem to be enough to wipe out entire villages with no survivors.

Here is a supposed photograph on one of the articles (but maybe it isn't really from Iran?):

4560b2d9-ef19-410d-906e-1aaf912c223f.jpg

Of course, it must be mentioned that Iran has a very diverse climate.   Although it does have very hot places, there are actually sizable glaciers in the mountains.    Some of the mountains actually receive heavy snowfall.   Even in mid-September, I personally witnessed a 4 foot snowfall in the Caucasus Mountains, which really aren't that far from Iran. 

This is a summer shot of Alam Kooh, Iran:

http://www.summitpost.org/images/original/3958.jpg

Several mountains in Iran are much higher than anything in the Alps, Cascades, Rockies, or Sierra Nevada.

• Like 1

That source isn't the only one mentioning the snow depths; many others do as well (actually all other sources I see, besides the one you point out quote 26-28 feet).

https://www.google.com/search?q=iran+blizzard+1972&espv=2&rlz=1C1AOHY_enUS708US708&ei=xv_2WMtAyLiPA--4rPgL&start=0&sa=N&biw=1440&bih=809

Although they may come from exaggerated news sources, up to 9 meters of snow is reported on many sources.  26 drifts does seem more plausible, but the storm did completely wipe out entire villages with no survivors.  10 feet doesn't seem to be enough to wipe out entire villages with no survivors.

The internet is full of bad sources/info. 

The internet is full of bad sources/info. 

True, but the internet sources are simply copied from the newspapers of 1972 (both Iranian and US).  They may well be exaggerated and I agree that 26 feet sounds implausible.  

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-ZDkhrqUEU1E/VjJ9f9PxmFI/AAAAAAAAz-E/oAR4wc0gt_0/s1600/1658674_464948426960280_1122248282_o.jpg

Without photos and official weather stations to verify, it is hard to say what the actual snow totals were.

On another note, the southern shore of the Caspian can get some pretty wicked lake effect snow. That's a long fetch over relatively warm water for a N-S wind blowing out of Russia. 

If you are interested, here is a more recent snowfall in that region.   This was a storm that hit the Gilan and Mazandaran areas of Iran (south of the Caspian Sea) in February 2014:

http://forums.accuweather.com/index.php?s=5201a8a9ac64073e0c732e560a5aa123&showtopic=31389&st=60&p=1839608&

Oklahoma had that ridiculous 99 degree reading on February 11th. Tied the state record for the month. 

That's scary. Also Texas can get some ridiculous winter heat.

Considering your elevation, do you get summer temps much above the 80's?

Yes, but it's usually cool at night.   Here is a screen shot from last July which was about as close to normal as possible.   Our (1980-2010) average high in July is 88.9 and our average low in July is 46.5.

http://images.summitpost.org/original/997077.JPG

Yes, but it's usually cool at night.   Here is a screen shot from last July which was about as close to normal as possible.   Our (1980-2010) average high in July is 88.9 and our average low in July is 46.5.

Wow, a 52-degree spread on 7/14.

Wow, a 52-degree spread on 7/14.

Also 53 on the 27th, 55 on the 28th, and 52 on the 30th.

Still, that's not unusual.   I have seen it go from 32 to 97 in a day.   Freezing to low 90's happens more frequently than freezing to upper 90's though.

Random example:

http://images.summitpost.org/original/998019.JPG

Here's 30's to 90's in six hours on one July day in 2007:

http://images.summitpost.org/original/997070.JPG

Also 53 on the 27th, 55 on the 28th, and 52 on the 30th.

Still, that's not unusual.   I have seen it go from 32 to 97 in a day.   Freezing to low 90's happens more frequently than freezing to upper 90's though.

Random example:

Here's 30's to 90's in six hours on one July day in 2007:

It is very difficult to get those extremes in lower elevation. Some inland stations in San Diego county that follow riverbeds [Rancho San Pasqual] can get some really cold minimums and then have the hottest maximums in the state during winter.  

It is very difficult to get those extremes in lower elevation. Some inland stations in San Diego county that follow riverbeds [Rancho San Pasqual] can get some really cold minimums and then have the hottest maximums in the state during winter.  

For those diurnal temperature swings, an exposed valley bottom location with low humidity and a fair distance from the ocean is needed.

In California, placed like Bishop have similar temperature swings in summer, but of course, Bishop is quite a bit hotter than us.   Higher up Bodie and Boca California can have some really wild swings at times.

At low elevations, some locations such as Palm Springs can have some pretty good diurnal changes as well.  Sometimes Redding as well.

Ugh, summer. I wish we had cool nights like that. Often times our heat index struggles to drop below 90*F at night, then it's right back into the blast furnace by 8-9AM. Disgusting.

I also need a loud fan running all night to drown out the noise from the katydids and robust coneheads. Simply amazing how loud those bugs are. Then right at dawn, the swamp cicadas start screaming, and the scissor-grinder cicadas start later in the afternoon.

Ugh, summer. I wish we had cool nights like that. Often times our heat index struggles to drop below 90*F at night, then it's right back into the blast furnace by 8-9AM. Disgusting.

I also need a loud fan running all night to drown out the noise from the katydids and robust coneheads. Simply amazing how loud those bugs are. Then right at dawn, the swamp cicadas start screaming, and the scissor-grinder cicadas start later in the afternoon.

Summer the sounds of the Bugs  :lol:

Sounds of the countryside. Just crickets here competing with sirens & helicopters.

Lol, I'd take sirens and helicopters over these f**kers any day.

La Pine and Sunriver in central OR commonly experience 50 degree diurnal swings. At 4300' in a wind sheltered valley with low humidity and dew point, it frequently goes from 33-37 on summer mornings up to 86-90 during the afternoons.

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

Speaking of diurnal temp ranges, US records that I'm aware of:

-Largest diurnal increase from solar radiation: 75 degrees at Deeth, NV on 9/21/1954, from 12 to 87 degrees.

-Largest diurnal increase within calendar day, any mechanism: 83 degrees at Granville, ND on 2/21/1918, from -33 to 50 degrees (due to Chinook wind).

-Largest increase over 24 hours, spanning two calendar days: 103 degrees at Loma, MT on January 14-15, 1972, from -54 to 49 degrees (Chinook).

The latter two are world records as far as I'm aware. 

• Like 1

Speaking of diurnal temp ranges, US records that I'm aware of:

-Largest diurnal increase from solar radiation: 75 degrees at Deeth, NV on 9/21/1954, from 12 to 87 degrees.

-Largest diurnal increase within calendar day, any mechanism: 83 degrees at Granville, ND on 2/21/1918, from -33 to 50 degrees (due to Chinook wind).

-Largest increase over 24 hours, spanning two calendar days: 103 degrees at Loma, MT on January 14-15, 1972, from -54 to 49 degrees (Chinook).

The latter two are world records as far as I'm aware. 

Would that have been considered a Chinook wind? I've always been under the impression that Chinook winds occur on the lee side of mountains, and obviously ND is far away from the Rockies. 

Of course, the interesting thing about the name Chinook is that it comes from coastal PNW Native Americans, due to the warm Pacific origins of associated air masses.

Personally, I've witnessed Chinook winds here raise temps from about -10 to near 50 within 6 hours.