Days Per Year of 90°> Where You Live

Guest happ

I posted this map on a California weather blog. Since it received good interest, I decided to post it here also. If one hates hot weather than you know where to avoid.   

post-226-0-22273800-1491485923_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

What baseline average is being used? We've typically averaged between 35-45/yr over the last 30yrs, but lately we've been running closer to 45-55/yr. Bleh.

I posted this map on a California weather blog. Since it received good interest, I decided to post it here also. If one hates hot weather than you know where to avoid.

Interesting map. Thank you for posting!

I love the blue patches in NW Washington. The warm season climate really changes rapidly moving north from Portland.

Reminds me of the snow day map posted on Reedit about how much snow is needed to close schools across the US based on news accounts/comments.etc (doesn't account for cold weather days)

This is pretty much the same thing except instead of closing school it shows how much 90F days for where you live. :)   Looks like I fall into the slightest green zone.

It also shows the immediate southern California coast having 25-50 days of 90 degree+ weather, which is simply not true, but it is true a few miles inland.

If you squint really hard you can almost see a line of green along the coast.

Colorado's dominance when it comes to high mountain peaks is clear.

That's interesting since higher elevation/ latitude consistent pks in Cascades/ Sierra are missing. There should be dots to denote. Rockies face the Great Plains/ exposed to Arctic air.   

It's not the highest resolution map, so it misses the more microclimatic stuff. Snowshoe's record high is 85F. They've never come close to 90F.

That's interesting since higher elevation/ latitude consistent pks in Cascades/ Sierra are missing. There should be dots to denote. Rookies face the Great Plains/ exposed to Arctic air.

Sure, but no other state has as much area with 10k+ elevation as CO. It's not close. Which is why it shows up more on that map, resolution issues aside.

A forum for the end of the world.

Sure, but no other state has as much area with 10k+ elevation as CO. It's not close. Which is why it shows up more on that map, resolution issues aside.

Yes

I wonder if this map might be more accurate. Seems to constrain the numbers better.

Keep in mind, this doesn't include temperatures of 100F+

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/196EF79E-591F-4F37-9A39-D14B103387A8_zpsjzitisfj.jpg

• Like 2

We average 18 days above 90 here (which is actually quite remarkable given our winter temperatures), but the nice thing about that is when it is above 90 in the day, it's usually in the 30's and 40's at night.   Only on cloudy days will we see nights above 50 and on cloudy days we won't hit 90.

30's to 90's are common in one day here, and I have seen it go from 32F to 97F in a day.

On the chart below is one day in July a few years ago where the official high was 97F and the official low was 37F.  I actually recorded 32F at the house though since nights are a little colder away from town, but afternoons usually have the same temperatures.  

This is the chart from Wunderground displaying the hourly temperatures at the official weather station.   The 1st column is the actual temperature, the second column is the dewpoint, and the third the humidity.  Luckily we have really low humidities when it is hot outside.  Also notice how quickly the temperature rises when the sun comes up and how quickly it falls when the sun goes down.  On clear and dry days the temperature can go from the 30's to 90's in only a few hours.

http://www.summitpost.org/images/original/997070.JPG

I wonder if this map might be more accurate. Seems to constrain the numbers better.

Keep in mind, this doesn't include temperatures of 100F+

It seems pretty good, but still seems "smoothed out too much".  For example, for Utah, SW Utah should actually have the most 90F temperatures in the state.  The map seems to leave out some mountain areas such as the Cascades and much of the Sierra Nevada where it never hits 90 (where the highest portion of the Sierra Nevada is, the map says it hits 90  70.0 ot 80 days!).  Back east, a bigger portion of the Appalachians should also be without 90F temperatures.

It's still a good map though.    It's also nice to see the map have a gray dot of 90's in Alaska!   It does hit 90 occasionally, especially in the interior.  

Geesh, that's downright ridiculous..32F to 97F? Can't imagine experiencing that kind of diurnal whiplash.

To the contrary, we struggle to cool at night during the summer with the dewpoints. Sometimes we'll fail to drop below 85F, and spike right back up into the mid/upper 90s by 8AM or so the next day. In the worst scenarios, we'll manage maybe 6hrs per day with temperatures below 90F, with the remaining 18hrs sitting in the 90s w/ higher heat indices. It's enough to drive someone into the loony bin.

• Like 1

Geesh, that's downright ridiculous..32F to 97F? Can't imagine experiencing that kind of diurnal whiplash.

To the contrary, we struggle to cool at night during the summer with the dewpoints. 

Yes, that's one good thing about living here.   On 90 degree days we almost always drop into the 30's and 40's.   Some years we have a lot of 30's to 90's days, but some years we see less.   Occasionally, it goes from the 20's to lower 90's.  June 26 2012, for example, went from 26 to 91.

Last year the summer was milder as far as 30's go.  Still, when you look at July, although only one day went from the 30's to 90's, the rest of the 90 degree days were in the 40's, with the exception of July 16, when it was 51.   All other 90 degree days were in the 30's and 40's.  (Of note though, the weather station is in town, but the outlying areas have similar daytime temperatures, but are typically 3-6 degrees colder at night.   Just outside town there was a lot more 30's than in the table below).

http://images.summitpost.org/original/997077.JPG

You can easily tell the cloudy nights/days from the clear ones just by looking at the temperatures in the table.   The cloudy days have daily diurnal temperature changes of 19 (very unusual for July!) to 35 degrees, while the clear days and nights have diurnal changes in the 40 to 55 degree range.   Changes of more than 60 degrees in a day only happen occasionally.

We have big temperature changes in the other seasons too.   The biggest diurnal change I have seen around here was 8 to 80 once in October, a change of 72 degrees (to be fair though,that was when I was working at the river and the cold air pools at the river), though at the official weather station the change was "only" 63 degrees.    Last January, the temperature rose almost 86 degrees in two days.  The change wasn't quite as much at the official weather station since it didn't get quite as cold there, but it did change an impressive 80 degrees from -37 to 43.

Temperature wise, we have really interesting weather, but we don't have any severe weather unless you count blizzards and extreme cold (-61 was recorded in Maybell, the next town just west of us).

• Like 1

For PDX the average is 12-13 days using the 1981-2010 period. A day or two more for HIO.

For SEA it's about 3 days

For a few cities around the PNW average days >= 90 for 1981-2010:

Bellingham <1
Hoquiam 1
Olympia 6
Quillayute <1
Seattle (Sea-Tac) 3
Spokane 20
Walla Walla 44
Wenatchee 33
Yakima 32

Astoria 0
Baker 24
Burns 23

Eugene 14
Klamath Falls 14
Medford 55
North Bend <1
Pendleton 34
Portland 12
Redmond 27
Salem 16

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

For a few cities around the PNW average days >= 90 for 1981-2010:

For the curious, I would guess that Ontario with 67 days might be the greatest amount in Oregon and Smyma with 52 days might be the greatest in Washington (?).

• Like 1

I think the map Phil posted is somewhat more accurate, but it has its drawbacks too. Lots of single station bullets on there that don't seem to match the background.

• Like 1

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

DEN averages 35 days above 90.

BOU averages 25 days above 90.

Colorado Springs, further south but higher in elevation, averages a little over 18.

The most in Western Colorado might belong to Uravan with 76.  

Las Animas has 85.  This may be the highest in Colorado? 

This may be an obscure (but interesting) and slightly off topic question, but  I wonder what the maximum difference is between the average January low and average July high is.

Dinosaur Quarry in Utah has an average January low of 4F and an average July high of 95F, a difference of more than 90F.  This may be one of the highest in the Lower 40.

Dinosaur Quarry in Utah averages 70 days of 90 or above and 24 days zero or below.

http://images.summitpost.org/original/997302.JPG

In Alaska, Chalkyitsik has an average low of -35 January and an average July high of 73F, a difference of 107F, however the period of record is only one decade.

Circle City Alaska has an average low of -25F in January and an average high of 73F, a difference of 98F.  The period of record is 99 years.

Central (village) Alaska has an average January low of -28 and an average July high of 72F, a difference of 100F, but the record is only a few decades. 

• Like 1

Where can you go to see how many 90 degree temps (or other numbers) occur on average for a location? 

Winter 23-24: Total Snow (3.2")    Total Ice (0.2")     Coldest Low: 1F     Coldest High: 5F

Snow Events: 0.1" Jan 5th, 0.2" Jan 9th, 1.6" Jan 14, 0.2" (ice) Jan 22, 1.3" Feb 12

Looks like here in Bozeman we average only 7 days yearly above 90º.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Interesting thing is that both Alaska and Hawaii have state record highs of 100 F, even though one place is tropical and the other is sub-Arctic to Arctic. It shows how the ocean limits high temperatures. Fairbanks also averages warmer than San Francisco during July.

I once saw a Survivor episode where they said it was 120 F, but don't see how that could be possible near the beach anywhere.

Abeche, the 4th largest city in Chad, apparently gets 336 days at 90+ per year. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ab%C3%A9ch%C3%A9#Climate

Dallol, Ethiopia has a somewhat similar climate, but ~10 degrees warmer on average.   Daytime temperatures there are almost never below 90.

Temperatures there reach 100F year round.   Only in January and February does the average high drop to 97.

Although the period of record is relatively short, it is probably the hottest place on earth. 

Dallol, Ethiopia has a somewhat similar climate, but ~10 degrees warmer on average.   Daytime temperatures there are almost never below 90.

Temperatures there reach 100F year round.   Only in January and February does the average high drop to 97.

Although the period of record is relatively short, it is probably the hottest place on earth. 

The problem with Dallol was that the station only existed from something like 1960 to 1966, and it wasn't an inhabited place. I think it was a mining site? It did hold the world record for highest average temperature over any 6 year span. 

The problem with Dallol was that the station only existed from something like 1960 to 1966, and it wasn't an inhabited place.

It actually was an inhabited place, but now is abandoned.   It used to be high on my list of places to go, but it has become less safe is recent years due to the Ethiopia and Eritrea skirmishes.

Salt is still mined there, but people don't stay year round.

It actually was an inhabited place, but now is abandoned.   It used to be high on my list of places to go, but it has become less safe is recent years due to the Ethiopia and Eritrea.

Salt is still mined there, but people don't stay year round.

Death Valley is also sparsely populated but surprising how many people visit during summer; Europeans in particular seem to enjoy the intense heat.