Days Per Year of 90°> Where You Live

Guest happ

No way you can escape it. Historically, there were those who supported moving the Capitol to New York; the "southern summer" being one reason.

Yeah, we need strong westerly downsloping winds here to really drop dewpoints in the summer.

Locally (in my city) we need north/northwest winds to do it because west/southwest winds funnel air in right off the Potomac River and the nearby swamplands, right through the east/west oriented gorge we sit in. Meanwhile, DCA can see low dewpoints with due westerly winds, since they're west of the Potomac River and all of the nearby swamplands and creeks.

This was possibly our last cold front until September. I'm gonna cherish the next three days, because there's no turning back after this:

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/DCA:9:US

Where the heat has been thus far per data [Ryan Maue]

That looks a bit low here. I'm at #16, and I think DCA is #11 and BIH is at #17 since May 1st.

Looks a bit low for a lot of areas.

Yeah, has to be low.

DCA is at #11, MD Science Center is at #14, Baltimore Inner Harbor is at #19. Today is #18 here, according to my station.

Back-to-back 95+ days here. Thankfully a thunderstorm saved us from climbing into the upper 90s today.

Tomorrow will be #20 on the 90+ tally for the summer. Ahead of last year's pace by a good margin.

Still haven't reached 90F yet so far this year. The hottest temperature this year was 86F on May 2nd.

Wow, sounds lovely. Where are you located?

Today is #21, which is 7 above last year at this time. Assuming we follow the average curve for the last decade (roughly 2/3rds of all 90+ days occur after 7/15), we're on pace for somewhere between 60-70 days at/above 90*F for the year.

Hopefully something puts a lid on things in September and beyond. A repeat of last year would really suck.

Guest happ

Only 20 days here counting today which is currently 99F. Dewpoint 64° Heat Index: 101°

It is uncomfortable but not terribly humid.

Last year the count was 20 days 90°>  by this date.

• Like 1

Salt Lake City

July2017

1  94/ 63 
2  98/ 68  

3  99/ 75  
4 102/ 72  

5 105/ 76   
6 102/ 71 
7 103/ 71  
8 104/ 77 
9 101/ 76 

The Mountain West has been cooking :blink: w/ little relief in sight.  

Added 5 more this week, though today is thankfully cooler. DEN is at 14, up to 13 at my house.

I'm surprised that DEN has only had 14.   That's the same number we have and Denver is usually hotter than us.

Looking at the data though, we have actually been about the same as Denver for highs.   The average thus far this month is only 0.2 degrees apart, though we're cooler at night of course.

http://images.summitpost.org/original/1002973.JPG

http://images.summitpost.org/original/1002974.JPG

I'm surprised that DEN has only had 14.   That's the same number we have and Denver is usually hotter than us.

Looking at the data though, we have actually been about the same as Denver for highs.   The average thus far this month is only 0.2 degrees apart, though we're cooler at night of course.

Totally impressed by your minimums  

Had my first 90 of the year on Saturday. Bozeman is now up to 5 on the year. Looks like we'll tack a few more onto that number later this week.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

And yet, the heat has clearly been centered in the West the past couple weeks, with much cooler (relative to normal) weather east of the Rockies.

14dTDeptUS.png

I call BS on that map. None of the stations around here are running a negative departure for June, or July for that matter.

Yeah, no way that's accurate. Not a single negative departure to be found anywhere in the Mid-Atlantic.

July:

BWI: +1.8

CHO: +4.1

DCA +1.7

IAD: +1.0

BIH: +2.0

KMT: +2.0

With the next several days all hitting 95-100 degrees, we'll only be adding to these positive departures.

Yeah, no way that's accurate. Not a single negative departure to be found anywhere in the Mid-Atlantic.

July:

BWI: +1.8

CHO: +4.1

DCA +1.7

IAD: +1.0

BIH: +2.0

KMT: +2.0

With the next several days all hitting 95-100 degrees, we'll only be adding to these positive departures.

Looks like many of the stations you mentioned may be islands of warmth in this midst of an overall coolish period for the East Coast. And keep in mind, you're comparing July numbers to the maps for the past 14 days.

14dTDeptNRCC.png

A forum for the end of the world.

Selective start/end dates. Not only is July running warmer than average, but the last 30 days overall are also running warmer than average.

July:

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/20405C1E-75F8-431E-8D8B-9468DBA58A1E_zpsgvg7i6vr.png

Last 30 days:

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/8FDE9030-6CCB-4440-B906-EBF2E14E9934_zpstph4oosv.png

It wasn't selective, I had referenced the past couple weeks and so used the 14 day map.

You're such a bullsh*tter.

Heat index of 102*F? Brrrrr!

#coolperiod

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/37C7C5B3-995B-4F4E-8EA0-73AA2EE43DEB_zpsllqa3or9.jpg

You're such a bullsh*tter.

Not at all. I'd talked about the past couple weeks pattern in a couple different posts, and that's exactly why I posted the map for the past couple weeks. You just decided to call my map "BS" because you were looking at longer periods. :lol:

You just decided to call my map "BS" because you were looking at longer periods. :lol:

Nope. July 1-11 has also run warm. As have the last 30 days.

Your two week window is skewed by 2 very cool days that occurred back in late June. So yeah, selective cherry pick.

Nope. July 1-11 has also run warm. As have the last 30 days.

Your two week window is skewed by 2 very cool days that occurred back in late June. So yeah, selective cherry pick.

It was just the period I happened to be looking at. The most recent 14 day period. Big deal, Phil.

It was just the period I happened to be looking at. The most recent 14 day period. Big deal, Phil.

I'm sure it's not a huge deal to you, living 6000ft up in the Colorado paradise, much to the envy of everyone here including myself.

If you lived here, though, and had to suffer through it every year for months on end, I'm betting you'd feel differently.

I'm sure it's not a huge deal to you, living 6000ft up in the Colorado paradise, much to the envy of everyone here including myself.

If you lived here, though, and had to suffer through it every year for months on end, I'm betting you'd feel differently.

Dang Phil, it sounds like you need to move to Colorado!  ;)

• Like 1

Convection probably saved us from a 100*F day today.

Was a nauseating 98/78 by 1pm, before the storm clouds started building and dropped temps to 74 degrees, which actually sets a new low temperature for the day.

Only 9 days until I leave for the rest of summer. :wub: