Thunderstorms in the Pacific North West (Cold core vs SE Monsoon flow)

Which do you think gets better thunderstorm setups here in the Pacific Northwest and which locations get favored for Oregon/Washington? 

Does cold core get more impressive or does warm SE flow get more bang for the buck?   I'd imagine Washington does better with the cold core convection from spring time cool fronts while Oregon especially down here does better from warm convection episodes as I've seen some pretty impressive lightning from such.

What are good years with either flow especially down here in Oregon from Portland and points south?  I have access to The Oregonian Archives and The Statesman Journal (for Salem) on newspapers.com Extra account and would like some good thunderstorm years you know of too look up.

Does this link work for getting into some newspaper archives? http://infoweb.newsbank.com/iw-search/we/Homepage?p_action=doc&p_theme=current&p_nbid=A60K4FMKMTQ5Mjc2NTQyNi4zMDMwMjoxOjY6cmEtd21h

Or does this one do it?  http://www.wma.us/cf_elements/elementremote.cfc?method=buildelement&id=92&firstload=false  If it's this one then go down to American historical newspapers and you may need to type the password displayed and then type a date in the search function and go to *Search newspapers* to select the ones you want displayed or you get all of them mucking up the search results.

I select Oregonian but it also has Seattle Times for those of you who live in Washington it will be of value. In the old days it was called Morning Oregonian as it was a morning paper.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Willamette Valley wipes the floor with the Puget Sound lowlands and Bellingham/Metro Vancouver for thunderstorm development and it's no contest. No geographic barrier against moisture flows (like the Olympic Peninsula/Range and Vancouver Island) since there are gaps in the Oregon Coastal Range near Portland/Vancouver; plus the more southerly latitude and the topography of valleys supercharges daytime heating.

• 4/5/1972 North Portland/Clark County F3
  • 1/10/2008 Clark County EF1 and accompanying supercell
  • 6/4/2009 severe warned storms in Portland
  • Also note that on 8/12/14, the SPC WAWAs were all south of Lewis County

I don't think Seattle, Mount Vernon or Bellingham have ever had SPC WAWAs, not even from the storms 4 weeks ago (most of the action was around Olympia/Lacey) or 5/31/97.