Mauna Loa Erupts After 38 Years of Silence Kiluea Joins in

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/28/1139489363/mauna-loa-volcano-erupts

A dangerous volcano, capable of changing flow directions and large explosions, Mauna Loa will be watched and measured closely by scientists.  

Edit:  Feb 2023 

Mauna Loa’s close neighbor joins in 3 months later   

Lava erupted from a crater on Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano on Sunday, Feb.12, 2023, as volcanic activity picked up, according to the United States Geological Survey.

(Hawaii Volcanoes National Park)

The U.S. Geological Survey said the current eruption occurred in a closed area of the park and poses no threat. High levels of volcanic gas are the primary hazard of concern, as this hazard can have far-reaching effects downwind of the volcano.

C667C658-B10E-48D0-A2AF-ADBC23EEE880.webp
Mauna Loa

9DBA106E-1E67-43ED-8D1A-26651E3322BA.webp
Kiluea

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

• Andie changed the title to Mauna Loa Erupts After 38 Years of Silence

The report today voiced concern for the lava flow taking over the main highway.  If it does it could take weeks to clear once cool.  Tourists are still venturing up to the summit as the flow is in only a few streams, however, there is still the caution regarding the gases. 

This must be Mama Pele's gift for the new year.  New land. Mahalo nui.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

Mauna-loa.webp

• scream 1

Mauna Loa’s lava flow is growing closer to one of Hawaii’s main roads.  If it crosses it getting around the island will be hampered until they can open it.  

Mauna Loa is showing no signs of stopping.  Hawaii's main road will likely see the lava flow.

Latest-Mauna-Loa-pic-New-West-768x1024.jpeg

kinds-eruptions.webp

volcan_mauna-loa_usgs_1.jpg_242310155.webp

• Like 1
  • scream 1

Residents are concerned their main road east/west will be blocked by lava flow   

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/hawaii-locals-fear-impacts-mauna-loa-eruption-lava-oozes-closer-main-h-rcna59763

Mauna Loa from space.   
Image taken by satellite Copernicus.  

196B2153-312D-4DA7-B9C8-8ADEB7B7C590.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Mauna Loa is no longer erupting. 

As of 7:00 a.m. today, December 15, webcams only captured residual incandescence and no lava movement in the F3 vent. The channels below the vent appear drained of lava and no longer feed the main flow front. 

The inactive main flow front remains stalled about 1.7 mi (2.8 km) from the Daniel K. Inouye Highway (Saddle Road) when last measured on the morning of December 10. The inactive main flow front still glows at a few spots at night and may inch northward very slowly as it continues to settle. 

Sulfur dioxide (SO2) emission rates are at background levels; on December 10, the emission rate was approximately 2,000 tonnes per day (t/d). The Hawaii Interagency Vog Information
nps.gov

• 3 weeks later...

Another eruption occurred yesterday. The lava flow has been contained to the crater so far.  

• Andie changed the title to Mauna Loa Erupts After 38 Years of Silence Kiluea Joins in