PNW December 2022, winter might be coming; but mostly canceled.

The Blob

3 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Even though snow started as a mix the snow now is MUCH dryer than the snow Tuesday night. That was really wet and heavy. 

Great sign. It’s amazing how often you start as a 34 degree mix there and wet bulb down to just under 32 with heavy snow.

• Snow 1

Everett Snowfall (510 feet elevation)

Snow since February 2019: 91"

2023-24: 6"

2022-23: 17.5"

2021-22: 17.75"

2020-21: 14.5”

2019-20: 10.5"

2018-19: 24.75"

56 minutes ago, Requiem said:

PDX ESE wind at a brisk 21 mph 

That wind is going to get quite cold by tomorrow.  Some serious cold air filtering down through Centra WA.

• Like 4
  • Shivering 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

9 minutes ago, Terreboner said:

Not true.  Cold air damming should be helping Shelton a whole lot more.  Probably just need the entire column to cool still.

I'm talking about outflow from the Cascades, which can be just as important as cold air damming against the Olympics in a scenario like this.

• Like 2

A forum for the end of the world.

3 minutes ago, SnowySeeker50 said:

Currently 34, DP 31. Looks like some light snow falling.

That's somewhat encouraging for us I suppose.  This cold air is "fresh" enough that it might still have some depth here.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

12 minutes ago, bainbridgekid said:

34 in Shelton and 33 in Bremerton but both still reporting rain. Not the greatest sign but could change with heavier precip. Temps will be close tonight.

Michael Snyder said it’s snowing at his house

• Like 4

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

1 minute ago, Front Ranger said:

I'm talking about outflow from the Cascades, which can be just as important as cold air damming against the Olympics in a scenario like this.

The outflow is often too shallow in the southern part of the outflow zone like I'm in.  As you go north it usually becomes deeper.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

This matters not... but the NAM significantly increased upper level support for strong surface winds through the Gorge. Minute detail, but may mean that we'll see some strong gusts surface in locations.

• Like 1
  • Windy 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

6 minutes ago, Front Ranger said:

Low is sinking south. You'll see colder temps later as flow turns more NE, and probably a switchover at some point. Just gotta hope precip hangs on long enough once that happens.

Great. So instead of just giving up and relaxing on the couch, now I’ll be getting up to check the streetlight every ten minutes.  

• lol 2

7 minutes ago, T-Town said:

Great. So instead of just giving up and relaxing on the couch, now I’ll be getting up to check the streetlight every ten minutes.  

Our couch and TV in the family room downstairs is next to the windows and we have two flood lights above those windows.  So I can sit on the couch and watch TV and see outside from behind the flood lights (always best) without even turning my head.  😀

20221202_184108.jpg

• Like 7
  • Snow 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

4 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

Our couch and TV in the family room downstairs is next to the windows and we have two flood lights above those windows.  So I can sit on the couch and watch TV and see outside from behind the flood lights (always best) without even turning my head.  😀

20221202_184108.jpg

You have a weather weenie cave. That’s awesome. 

• Like 1
  • lol 1

I'll take whatever the 00z 12km NAM is smoking. It shows more than 3" up here tonight. Of course the 3km NAM shows nothing, but I'm going to ignore that for the time being because higher resolution is clearly worse, right?

• Like 1

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

2 minutes ago, Skagit Weather said:

I'll take whatever the 00z 12km NAM is smoking. It shows more than 3" up here tonight. Of course the 3km NAM shows nothing, but I'm going to ignore that for the time being because higher resolution is clearly worse, right?

3km NAM showed a couple inches of snow here on Tuesday night... ended up with about a foot.    The 3km NAM definitely underestimates precip.

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

8 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

20221202_184108.jpg

Nice view except for the pain of seeing the Utes instead of the Ducks.

Just now, Terreboner said:

Nice view except for the pain of seeing the Utes instead of the Ducks.

It would be fun to watch USC destroy the Ducks.    👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2
  • Weenie 1

23 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

It was probably the surface pressure gradient having too much of a southerly component to it.  Once the Fraser outflow gets cut off Bellingham skyrockets easily.  Then of course the next day the moisture was too far south.

20 minutes ago, BLI snowman said:

Low placement was a big factor. With the low centered rather closely to your NW over northern Vancouver Island upon its approach, you were at an unfortunate trajectory to really maximize the downsloping southeasterlies off of the Chuckanuts that Bellingham proper is extremely prone to. It was a relatively shallow wind field though, so Lynden and places north of Pole Road never scoured out until the low had passed.

I think the same localized downslope warming occurred in some other parts of NW WA near the Cascades, including Winterdog's area, while other places a little further west benefitted from the ESE flow. 

Thank you both! I really appreciate the info. If you dont mind, I'm curious what the difference was from Randy south? Was there a second low east of the central/south sound that maintained easterly flow for the region? Sorry I dont remember how the maps looked that night I was busy complaining about the 36 degree rain to my girlfriend lol. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Have a really hard time believing it’ll snow here tonight with a temp of 37 and a DP of 34. 

Probably a good night to reflect on the many other wondrous gifts the Lord bestows on us as residents of Tacoma. 

• lol 2

Just now, Terreboner said:

That Williams guy is great, but maybe Nix wouldn't be limping around this evening.  We will never know.

Williams is basically a RB playing QB... he is pretty fun to watch.

2 minutes ago, T-Town said:

Probably a good night to reflect on the many other wondrous gifts the Lord bestows on us as residents of Tacoma. 

All those spring days when the sun is shining there on God's country while its dark and gloomy in every direction.

• Like 1

Just now, TT-SEA said:

Williams is basically a RB playing QB... he is pretty fun to watch.

I can't root for anyone playing for that program.  Would be nice to see the Hawks go after him in the draft though.  Could happen............

• Like 1