PNW December 2022, winter might be coming; but mostly canceled.

The Blob

4 minutes ago, Winterdog said:

It's over.

Oh brother.

• lol 1
  • Shivering 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

2 minutes ago, Skagit Weather said:

Thanks! I hope you pick up something tonight as well! It's not like you've gotten buried by snow and I really appreciate the sentiment. Fortunately it's early in the winter and I'm not too worried about it. If this was happening in February I'm sure I'd be anxious, but for all I know this is only the first of many chances throughout the season.

The good news is it's down to 37F and there are more flakes than drops currently so we're trending in the right direction!

Seems like you're on the east side of the band that's stretched out to here. The wind has finally switched to the ENE here and the temperature is dropping. It's almost impossible to see snow accumulations here without a northerly wind component, it's a weird quirk of this microclimate. Not seeing any flakes yet, but it's down to 35F. I'm seeing some heavy radar returns over there, you'll probably be all snow soon.

Just now, snow_wizard said:

Just dumping here now.  East wind really working some magic!

I think its just precip intensity related... its 37 in North Bend.    The east wind is not cold out here.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Another update from Mark:

"

Temperatures will be very marginal for snow to stick Sunday morning, and we really won’t have a good handle on that until we see how warm/cold the airmass is east of us later tomorrow. So will it be cold enough? We don’t know yet. And how much precipitation will fall? Right now models are having real trouble and in some disagreement. 

I don’t see a setup for a snowstorm or widespread sticking snow Sunday morning, but watching it closely!

At the least, we should see mixed showers Sunday morning and midday

At most, part of the metro area gets sticking snow the first few hours or Sunday, but temperatures remain at/above freezing

Don’t cancel any plans, because even if we do get a brief morning snowfall AND it sticks to roads in some areas (worst case scenario), it would melt quickly midday & PM

"

• Like 4

Just now, Jamalm said:

Coming down hard in the Lakeland hills of Auburn

IMG_1040.PNG

That is absolutely crazy!    Pretty rare for it to be dumping snow in Auburn with nothing falling in my area.   😀

• Like 3

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, VancouverIslandSouth said:

How are the dewpoints? Drier air filtering through at the lower levels could be helping areas further west.

Dewpoint is 31.5 in North Bend.

11 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

This has got to be one of the strangest snow weeks I've ever seen.  Just so many different scenarios in such a short time.

Seems very much like a warmer poor man’s version of December 2021. We’re about to hit our 5th consecutive day with measurable snow here…very similar to 2021 in how there were many small snows that added up over time. 

• Like 4

32.5 now and snowing hard.   The night goes to the GFS.  The ECMWF was way too dry.

• Like 7

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Alllrighty, now we've got some real good flakes flying around. Heavily snowing right now, temp has definitely started dropping with this band, at 34.8 now. Was drizzling only a little bit earlier even under rain (according to the radar), so I would guess that the east winds have been contributing to some drying out before it came down to the surface. That seems to have come to an end, for now, as the flakes are just really flying now and the wind has let up a bit. Shifted slightly more eastward instead of the ENE I was seeing earlier. 

My expectations are not high at all for anything tonight, but I've had enough snow this season to fulfill my hopes. Anything more is a bonus that I definitely won't complain about. Hope some folks who haven't been as lucky previously are getting some with this round!

Shred it!

Greater Maple Valley area @ ~550' AGL

Just now, Margaritaville said:

Nice to see we'll be on the upper end of little to no accumulation 

20221202_233917.jpg

I am out of reactions for the day... but LOL to this post.    And impressive total.

• Like 1

I'm really going to have look long and hard at this setup to see why it went so much better here than these situations usually do.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Solid rain/snow mix with big flakes coming down for the past hour, but it's a complete waste of snow if the rain just turns it into 0.3" slush. Still got hope the precip will change into full snow; by then though, the event's pretty much over. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

𝘐𝘯 𝘮𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘴,

𝘐 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘰𝘸𝘯.

𝘗𝘶𝘺𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘶𝘱.

Reddit: HotlineMaestro

2 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I'm really going to have look long and hard at this setup to see why it went so much better here than these situations usually do.

The dice rolled our way so many times here in the south sound this week. Every snow event over performed it seems like and we even had a total surprise bonus one this morning! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, snow_wizard said:

Its a really strange set up.    

There is another large area of enhanced precip moving up towards Olympia now... if it extends east like the last band it could be pretty crazy for several more hours.

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Perturbed Member said:

King GFS! Now deliver for Portland too on Sunday please 😅

If I could will something to happen atp

• Snow 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

14 minutes ago, TT-SEA said:

I think its just precip intensity related... its 37 in North Bend.    The east wind is not cold out here.

The east wind was colder than that here even before the snow started.  This is coming from Stampede Pass and North Bend's wind from Snoqualmie.  Could make a difference.

• Like 1

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

4 minutes ago, TacomaWx said:

Seems very much like a warmer poor man’s version of December 2021. We’re about to hit our 5th consecutive day with measurable snow here…very similar to 2021 in how there were many small snows that added up over time. 

That is a very poor man. So far it's been 15-20 degrees warmer and 1/1000th of the snow of December 2021 up here, but it is true that the snow chances keep popping up day after day.

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

5 minutes ago, snow_wizard said:

I'm a little confused on why so many people are surprised we have snow. Offshore flow in a chilly airmass almost always delivers.

• Like 2

We come from the land of the ice and snow.

20 minutes ago, VancouverIslandSouth said:

Seems like you're on the east side of the band that's stretched out to here. The wind has finally switched to the ENE here and the temperature is dropping. It's almost impossible to see snow accumulations here without a northerly wind component, it's a weird quirk of this microclimate. Not seeing any flakes yet, but it's down to 35F. I'm seeing some heavy radar returns over there, you'll probably be all snow soon.

It's interesting that you're colder than me but haven't been seeing any snowflakes. I started seeing them at 39F and now at 36F I would say it's 90% snow out there. And yeah, I'm on the northeastern edge of that band. It's not particularly heavy (I've picked up 0.05" of precip so far), but hoping that it keeps up for a while longer.

Home Wx Station Stats (Since January 2008):

Max Temp: 96.3F (2009)   Min Temp: 2.0F (2008)   Max Wind Gust: 45 mph (2018, 2021)   Wettest Day: 2.34 (11/4/22)   Avg Yearly Precip: 37"   10yr Avg Snow: 8.0"

Snowfall Totals

'08-09: 30" | '09-10: 0.5" | '10-11: 21" | '11-12: 9.5" | '12-13: 0.2" | '13-14: 6.2" | '14-15: 0.0" | '15-16: 0.25"| '16-17: 8.0" | '17-18: 0.9"| '18-19: 11.5" | '19-20: 11" | '20-21: 10.5" | '21-22: 21.75" | '22-23: 10.0" 

2023-24: 7.0" (1/17: 3", 1/18: 1.5", 2/26: 0.5", 3/4: 2.0", Flakes: 1/11, 1/16)

Wow it's really coming down here. Definitely some accumulation on the roads already with these big big flakes, so definitely a nice treat to close off the night. Looks like this will be the extent of what I'll get, though. Temp is down to 34.2 degrees, and I'm off for the night. Have fun, night shift!

• Like 2

Shred it!

Greater Maple Valley area @ ~550' AGL

3 minutes ago, SouthHillFrosty said:

My neighbor got stuck and I had to go push them😂. Why a 80 year old man is leaving in a snowstorm at midnight is another question 

Midnight run for the white stuff and it ain't the snow falling 👃

• lol 1

𝘐𝘯 𝘮𝘺 𝘳𝘦𝘴𝘵𝘭𝘦𝘴𝘴 𝘥𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘮𝘴,

𝘐 𝘴𝘦𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘵𝘰𝘸𝘯.

𝘗𝘶𝘺𝘢𝘭𝘭𝘶𝘱.

Reddit: HotlineMaestro

39F cloudy and pleasant.

• Like 1

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope