PNW December 2022, winter might be coming; but mostly canceled.

The Blob

Just now, RentonHillTC said:

I also have a question for the high counceel: how do typical PNW setups/progressions differ between nina/nino, if at all?

Uh, E-Evil Council? | Kung Pow: Enter the Fist (2002 ... - YARN

I don't know about progressions. I do know La'nina is supposed to be more influential after new year's, and there isn't much variance in Summer. For the setup/patterns, you can look up a picture.

2 minutes ago, 12345WeatherNerd said:

I don't know about progressions. I do know La'nina is supposed to be more influential after new year's, and there isn't much variance in Summer. For the setup/patterns, you can look up a picture.

I mean i know what the typical season-long picture looks like. But for the different types of snow patterns for our lowlands that Dewey and others have laid out, are any of those more or less likely to occur during one background state or the other? IDk the answer is probably no but I was just curious. 

2 minutes ago, Kolk1604 said:

If the GFS was believable, I wonder if the NFL would start making contingency Plans

Pretty serious snow Saturday and Sunday 

At least the ECMWF shows the game might be able to be played in Seattle on Sunday... maybe.  

ecmwf-deterministic-washington-snow_24hr_kuchera-0846400.png

• Like 4
  • Sick 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

9 minutes ago, 12345WeatherNerd said:

The average snowfall is 6 or so inches at SeaTac because the crazy winters balance out all the pathetic ones!

Long term mean is actually a little over 10" at SEA, and should be a little higher but they're missing some data from the mid 1990s to early 2000s.

• Like 2

A forum for the end of the world.

1 minute ago, RentonHillTC said:

I mean i know what the typical season-long picture looks like. But for the different types of snow patterns for our lowlands that Dewey and others have laid out, are any of those more or less likely to occur during one background state or the other? IDk the answer is probably no but I was just curious. 

I don't think so, a La'nina type pattern is needed in any snow event; to get the cold air in.

2 minutes ago, RCola said:

Always surprised when the majority of us swear off the GFS after it fumbles our snow plans, only to indulge in beautiful 18z GFS 100+ hour snow maps a week later. Weenies gonna weenie, I love it. :P

Encouraging signs for sure in the 500 mb pattern. Definite improvement in the main models and ensembles for the next week or so.  But, we've been here before with watering down cold, so I'd be cautious. 

I think BC is a slam dunk in this pattern for cold or snow or both. 

It's pretty close to Euro right now! EPS has 1.5 inches for SEA around the 10th or 11th. GFS had been meh until now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Man the icon has a crazy warm bias. This no doubt a snow event for Puget sound.

icon_mslp_pcpn_frzn_nwus_37.png

It'd be an interesting experiment to run the ICON with initial conditions like 1950, 1996, 2008, etc., and just see what it would output. That'd be incredibly telling. 

• Like 4

31 degrees right now. Probably past the peak warmth of the day and likely subfreezing. Tomorrow will be above freezing here so I don't expect the snow to last. But it's been a good day even if modest.

• Shivering 1

Garfield County/Pomeroy, WA:

2023-2024 Snowfall totals: 14.3 inches

HIghest snow total (per event): 5.8 inches total 1/11/24 - 1/12/24.

Most recent accumulation (non trace): 0.20 inches on 2/26/24

Days with  trace or more snowfall: 12/01/23 (0.60), 1/8/24 (1.0), 1/10/24 (3.5), 1/11/23 (3.5 inches with Thundersnow; separate event from prior day), 1/12/24 (2.30). 1/14/24 (T), 1/17/24 (1.20 inches), 1/18/24 (1.5 inches), 1/19/24 (0.20), 2/09/24 (0.30), 2/26/24 (0.20-mainly graupel), 4/5/24 (T)

First Freeze: 10/27/2023

Last Sub freezing Day: 1/20/24 (12th) (8 days in a row from 1/12/24-1/20/24)

Coldest low: -12F (!!!!!!!!) (1/12/24)

Last White Christmas: 2022 at my location (on ground)

6 minutes ago, 12345WeatherNerd said:

It's pretty close to Euro right now! EPS has 1.5 inches for SEA around the 10th or 11th. GFS had been meh until now.

The 500mb pattern between the two is definitely in pretty good agreement, for now. We haven't gotten into that 5 day window where the two will inevitably be at odds with each other over something significant.   

As much as I'd like to, I just don't trust the GFS low-level precip type parameterizations right now. In the past week, I do believe the GFS has led the way on the amount of precip we've received, but it leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to precip type.  If you combine GFS precip with the way the Euro handles precip type, I bet you'd be closer to the truth. Time will tell. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, RCola said:

The 500mb pattern between the two is definitely in pretty good agreement, for now. We haven't gotten into that 5 day window where the two will inevitably be at odds with each other over something significant.   

As much as I'd like to, I just don't trust the GFS low-level precip type parameterizations right now. In the past week, I do believe the GFS has led the way on the amount of precip we've received, but it leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to precip type.  If you combine GFS precip with the way the Euro handles precip type, I bet you'd be closer to the truth. Time will tell. 

If either the GFS or the Euro were accurate, I would have 10 inches plus of snow.  Factually, I have zero.  Most of what snowed melted on contact.  Must be the warm roads.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SilverFallsAndrew said:

We had a ton of snow and then our worst ice storm of my lifetime until February 2021. 

I don't know if you guys who didn't experience understand how FU*KED up that ice storm was. It was like the whole area got hit by a tornado that stripped every tree. 

February 2021 and 12/8/2016 were the worst ice storms I can recall locally. Never seen the amount of tree damage the former caused from any weather event I've experienced.

• Like 4

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

6 minutes ago, Gummy said:

They fixed it!!! (Kinda... was definitely more than 0.1" but at least now it's measurable.)

• Like 4

My Weather Station:  https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/b415ff35b2d13f00c899051028f04466 

Located in North Seattle, elevation ~150ft. Highest temperature ever recorded is 110.3, lowest is 14.5.

My Twitter

1 hour ago, Olive1010 said:

Yeah that 12-15 day span is high

That is essentially one entire 384 hour model run 🤧 at that point just say the run was pretty good 

• Like 1

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

Just now, MR.SNOWMIZER said:

Something like 1880 with today's population would be absolute insanity. The thought of a widespread 3-5ft on the ground is nutty.

I have often thought about that as well.   Sort of scary.  

• Like 4
  • Excited 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Guest administrator
Just now, TT-SEA said:

Big snow storm, followed by an icing, then a gale, then a flash freeze, then more snow, then brutal cold, then more snow, then I wake up and realize that this fantasy exists on the shores of Labrador.

1 minute ago, TT-SEA said:

And i believe this area is still capable of something like that. It honestly would be to deadly to hope something like that happens. The local economy would really take a hit.

• Like 3

We come from the land of the ice and snow.