Strangest weather you have ever seen

What is the strangest weather you have ever seen?

For me it was on a trip to Arizona during the summer monsoon season. The road was completely dry and then you could see this wet area where it was literally pouring rain. So there was no rain and a big downpour within 100 ft of each other. We were suprised to drive into the sudden deluge.

In my home town of Lake Forest it was when a thunderstorm developed above a deep marine layer. It was a typical gloomy morning with lots of low clouds. Then there was a large boom of thunder and it began pouring rain. Normally this would mix out the marine layer, and it did for a little bit before the low clouds redeveloped as the storm moved out and finally burned off by mid-afternoon. This was in early September.

A small thunderstorm popped up overhead during the summer of 2008. Began like most storms do, with heavy rain, lightning, and gusty winds, but suddenly this thing starts spitting out lightning like I've never seen before.

Literally simultaneous lightning/thunder 1-2 times every second lasting for 45 seconds to perhaps a full minute. Just a constant flash-boom-flash-boom-flash-boom. I'd estimate well over 100 strikes within that 45 second period. Three homes on my street were struck, as was one of the street lamps and a tulip tree behind our house (I'm sure many other trees were struck too).

Have never seen a lightning display like that since. Not even close, really. Such a freak event..the storm wasn't even severe warned.

• Like 1

A small thunderstorm popped up overhead during the summer of 2008. Began like most storms do, with heavy rain, lightning, and gusty winds, but suddenly this thing starts spitting out lightning like I've never seen before.

Literally simultaneous lightning/thunder 1-2 times every second lasting for 45 seconds to perhaps a full minute. Just a constant flash-boom-flash-boom-flash-boom. I'd estimate well over 100 strikes within that 45 second period. Three homes on my street were struck, as was one of the street lamps and a tulip tree behind our house (I'm sure many other trees were struck too).

Have never seen a lightning display like that since. Not even close, really. Such a freak event..the storm wasn't even severe warned.

would have been cool to have the am radio on I would amagin the thunder would have boom right at the same time or right after the pop corn sound of the lighting.

Red snow while living in Fruita Colorado.  A dust storm preceded the snowfall and a lot of red dust was picked up from Southern Utah.  When it snowed, the snow came down red.  After the snow melted (which didn't take long), it left a layer of red dirt on everything, including vehicles.  I'm sure most people didn't appreciate it, but it was interesting in its own way.

I also got to see a big thunderstorm from above and at night once.   While we were camped at just over 15,000 feet on Nevado Tolima in Colombia, we were above the storm.  We could look down on the thunderstorm.  A thunderstorm looks completely different from above.   The way the clouds like up is spectacular.

• Like 2

Guest happ

I didn't experience it since I was out of town and out of the area impacted but a hailstorm in South LA in 2003 dropped a foot of hail and over 5 inches of rain in 3 hours. When I was a young child on family vacation in Utah/ Zion park, we encountered severe weather while driving on the steep canyon highway. Probably supercell conditions that resulted in boulders blocking the road and flood waters reaching up to floor of the car.  My sister was crying; when our parents made the sign of the cross we knew this was seriously dangerous. :lol: It took all day for the road to be opened due to landslides.

• Like 2

Kind of hard to answer. Quickest change in weather? Most unusual for that location? Most unusual compared to the location I live?

I don't believe in earthquake weather, but if I'm going to say "strangest" it'd have to be a day back in Westlake Village, CA. On a normal sunny warm day I was playing basketball when it became cloudy, windy and cool (by soCal standards) and then a 4.5 earthquake stuck. I thought it was thunder due to the sudden onset of clouds and wind but it was just an earthquake. I believe it was pure coincidence and I was too young to remember the particular weather that day. Still I find it the strangest. I know it wasn't a marine layer due the onset of clouds from the NNW, could have been a cloudy dry cold front.

• Like 1

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

That's hard to answer. But one recent example is driving from Burnaby to North Vancouver where I saw a transition from rain, to snow, to rain, to sleet, to snow, and back to rain. I think that was in February or March of this year.

8 inches of snow on Mother's Day in Denver in 2015 was weird to me personally but it's not so unheard of there.

Stood directly under a downburst of hot air with heavy thunderstorms in the area in 1992 or 3.

Bushes and tree limbs slapping the ground as I stood on my deck and my hair was blown straight down toward the ground at about 35 mph or greater.

Felt like a torch blast. Air was dry, not humid. Just so weird.

Also, 5" of pea size hail when I was a kid in the 60's.

Flew over a thunderstorm over New Jersey in the early 90's. A beautiful and unusual sight for me.

• Like 1

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

Stood directly under a downburst of hot air with heavy thunderstorms in the area in 1992 or 3.

Bushes and tree limbs slapping the ground as I stood on my deck and my hair was blown straight down toward the ground at about 35 mph or greater.

Felt like a torch blast. Air was dry, not humid. Just so weird.

Also, 5" of pea size hail when I was a kid in the 60's.

Flew over a thunderstorm over New Jersey in the early 90's. A beautiful and unusual sight for me.

Sounds like a heat burst.

• Like 1

It was very cool. Cool rain and wind all around except that little area I was in and the temps went into the high 90's.

Felt like a big fan blowing downward on us. . Really unnatural.

Before You Diagnose Yourself With Depression or Low Self-Esteem,...First Make Sure You Are Not In Fact, Just Surrounded By A$$holes.

“If I owned Texas and Hell, I would rent out Texas and live in Hell.”  Gen. Sheridan 1866

2018 Rainfall - 62.65" High Temp. - 110.03* Low Temp. - 8.4*

I have a question.  Years ago, I remember sitting in a dormitory on a humid cloudy day in late spring; all the doors were open due to the warm temp. Suddenly the doors slammed and ashes in the fireplace went up the chimney while papers in the room became air-borne. My dorm mates and I were playing a table game [Risk] and were startled. Since this was in northern Indiana near Lake Michigan, I thought it might be some sort of gust front but couldn't understand why the air was sucked out of the building. 

I have a question. Years ago, I remember sitting in a dormitory on a humid cloudy day in late spring; all the doors were open due to the warm temp. Suddenly the doors slammed and ashes in the fireplace went up the chimney while papers in the room became air-borne. My dorm mates and I were playing a table game [Risk] and were startled. Since this was in northern Indiana near Lake Michigan, I thought it might be some sort of gust front but couldn't understand why the air was sucked out of the building.

That happens to us all the time during the spring when we forget to close the chimney flue. I think it had more to do with the windows being open at the same time as the chimney flue. A breeze tried to blow into the house through the windows, which increased the pressure inside the house and slammed the doors, so the only "escape route" following the pressure change was up the chimney and perhaps out the windows again, as the pressure outside and inside the house re-equilibrated.

That happens to us all the time during the spring when we forget to close the chimney flue. I think it had more to do with the windows being open at the same time as the chimney flue. A breeze tried to blow into the house through the windows, which increased the pressure inside the house and slammed the doors, so the only "escape route" following the pressure change was up the chimney and perhaps out the windows again, as the pressure outside and inside the house re-equilibrated.

People outside felt a sudden lift in the air; a sudden wind gust out of nowhere. Of-course, I ran outside searching the turbulent sky.