July 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

Interesting that today was the warmest day there.

It was definitely more of a localized thing today, we landed a convergence dead zone for several hours and that pushed it just a little warmer than the previous warmest day of the month at ~80.5F. Places that stayed in the sea breeze didn't come close.

That is way up there! Cold and probably wet.

Seattle will seem hot when you get back. :)

I'm looking forward to it. I haven't been up there since I was something like 8yrs old, and I barely remember it.

So far I love this climate, though. The evenings in particular are incredibly different than what I'm used to. They're very quiet and free of bugs, and the twilight hangs around much longer after actual sunset. Not to mention it actually cools down here at night.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to it. I haven't been up there since I was something like 8yrs old, and I barely remember it.

So far I love this climate, though. The evenings in particular are incredibly different than what I'm used to. They're very quiet and free of bugs, and the twilight hangs around much longer after actual sunset. Not to mention it actually cools down here at night.

Perfection continues...   :)

nb3.png

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Total rain for the next 10 days... WA is about the only dry spot on this side of the Earth (along with coastal CA). :)

gfs_apcpn_namer_40.png

I guess I'm gonna get rained on.

Looks like Hippa island's climate in late July is pretty similar to your climate about 6 weeks from now.

Looks like Hippa island's climate in late July is pretty similar to your climate about 6 weeks from now.

The forecast above for Hippa Island is more like late October or November here... 50s and rain.

6 weeks from now is the first week of September which is often still in the 70s or even 80s here.    And often quite sunny.   

You don't know our climate.   :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Up there? Yes, it's going to rain. For your sake I hope it's not too windy.

Deep sea fishing? Are you going for halibut or something.

The forecast above for Hippa Island is more like late October or November here... 50s and rain.

6 weeks from now is the first week of September which is often still in the 70s or even 80s here. And often quite sunny.

You don't know our climate. :)

There is certainly more potential for rainy days in the 60s in early September than there is right now, though. This is our warmest time of the year, climatologically.

There is certainly more potential for rainy days in the 60s in early September than there is right now, though. This is our warmest time of the year, climatologically.

Normal high is still in the low to mid 70s in 6 weeks... that would set the all time high temp for Hippa Island.

Our early September climate is not daily rain with highs in the mid 50s. ;)

Normal high is still in the low to mid 70s in 6 weeks... that would set the all time high temp for Hippa Island.

Our early September climate is not daily rain with highs in the mid 50s. ;)

Too be fair to Hippa Island, their climate may be warmer in early September than late July. It's a marine climate and late-August/early September would be about when the Alaska Current is at its warmest. So 60s and rain might not be uncommon there at that time; those conditions certainly wouldn't be out of place down this way in early September.

• Like 1

Too be fair to Hippa Island, their climate may be warmer in early September than late July. It's a marine climate and late-August/early September would be about when the Alaska Current is at its warmest. So 60s and rain might not be uncommon there at that time; those conditions certainly wouldn't be out of place down this way in early September.

Their average high there is 58 in July,  60 in August, and 56 in September.   Looks like the all-time record high was 70 and that happened in August.   It can, of course, be 60 degrees and raining in any of the month of the year here.  

Phil said the weather there this week (highs in the mid-50s and daily rain) is our normal climate here in 6 weeks.   That is factually incorrect (either trolling or ignorance).  

Statistically... the weather at Hippa Island this week is our normal climate here during the first week of November.  

Statistically... the weather at Hippa Island this week is our normal climate here in the first week of November.

Not really. Our average lows are much cooler the first week of November.

PDX's average low on November 1st is 42. The coolest I saw them getting this week on your googled phone forecast was 51.

• Like 1

Their average high there is 58 in July,  60 in August, and 56 in September.   Looks like the all-time record high was 70 and that happened in August.   It can, of course, be 60 degrees and raining in any of the month of the year here.  

Wacky. All-time record high is only 10 degrees warmer than their August average?

Even Sitka has gotten as warm as 88. Although according to the WRCC, they've hit 126 in December: https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?ak8494

A forum for the end of the world.

Not really. Our average lows are much cooler the first week of November.

PDX's average low on November 1st is 42. The coolest I saw them getting this week on your googled phone forecast was 51.

I was looking at highs... the highs this week there are in the mid 50s with rain.   Normal high in Seattle during the first week of November is 55 and the chance of rain each day is almost at the highest point in the year.

I was looking at highs... the highs this week there are in the mid 50s with rain. Normal high in Seattle during the first week of November is 55 and the chance of rain each day is almost at the highest point in the year.

Ignoring the lows on your googled phone forecast comparison is pretty silly. Statistically...they are running much warmer right now than we do in early November.

• Like 1

Up there? Yes, it's going to rain. For your sake I hope it's not too windy.

Deep sea fishing? Are you going for halibut or something.

Yeah. Mostly Halibut, Salmon, Cod, and the occasional yellow eyed Snapper.

Their average high there is 58 in July, 60 in August, and 56 in September. Looks like the all-time record high was 70 and that happened in August. It can, of course, be 60 degrees and raining in any of the month of the year here.

Phil said the weather there this week (highs in the mid-50s and daily rain) is our normal climate here in 6 weeks. That is factually incorrect (either trolling or ignorance).

Statistically... the weather at Hippa Island this week is our normal climate here during the first week of November.

Trolling with a pinch of truth. ;)

Ignoring the lows on your googled phone forecast comparison is pretty silly. Statistically...they are running much warmer right now than we do in early November.

:lol:

How about this...  

What is the daily weather like when you are awake?   Mid-50s and raining?   That is our typical weather in early November and not early September.  

Trolling with a pinch of truth. ;)

Indeed.  

In many years we don't get really rolling with endless clouds and rain until November.  But it always comes eventually.   <_>

But we do have great summer weather here which makes the rest of the year more tolerable.   

:lol:

How about this...

What is the daily weather like when you are awake? Mid-50s and raining? That is our typical weather in early November and not early September.

I'm awake in the morning when we have our lows. I don't have the luxury of working from home and sleeping in every day.

• Like 1

I'm awake in the morning when we have our lows. I don't have the luxury of working from home and sleeping in every day.

I am up and working by 6 a.m. every day.   

And if its pouring rain and 55 degrees every day... I don't really care much if its 46 and raining at dawn or 51 and raining at dawn.    :lol:

Warmest day of July here so far at 81F, though a number of days have come close. Still sitting at 77F this evening, north winds to start the day always bode well for heat on the Saanich Peninsula. The upper levels look even warmer tomorrow, it will be interesting to see if that translates well to the surface.

83F here today. But we have been as high as 87F earlier this month.

If the GFS MOS is correct... SEA will end July with every high temp between 70-85.    

Looking back at July over the last 5 years... 2013-16 all had numerous days above 85 and 2012 had numerous days below 70.  

If the GFS MOS is correct... SEA will end July with every high temp between 70-85.    

Looking back at July over the last 5 years... 2013-16 all had numerous days above 85 and 2012 had numerous days below 70.  

This July feels very much like 2013. Slightly warmer than average, dry, no extreme heat waves...and no cold troughs whatsoever. 

This July feels very much like 2013. Slightly warmer than average, dry, no extreme heat waves...and no cold troughs whatsoever. 

That year had a wet September and a dry October... and long stretches of dry weather in November and December as well.

That would be my best guess for the rest of this year based on how everything has evolved.    A wet September, but a dry fall and early winter overall.  

Speaking of July-August 2013, that was a historically un-troughy (is that a word?) period. Stampede Pass didn't have a single maximum below 61F during that entire two-month stretch, the only time this has happened. July had no maximums below 64F for the only time on record. To illustrate how anomalous this is, the early July 2000 cold trough brought a maximum of 40F to Stampede Pass...monthly record low max is 38F in 1979. 

That year had a wet September and a dry October... and long stretches of dry weather in November and December as well.

That would be my best guess for the rest of this year based on how everything has evolved.    A wet September, but a dry fall and early winter overall.  

I would gladly take a repeat of that...up to and including February. 

• Like 1

I definitely want to. We're driving up to Vancouver tomorrow afternoon and will be back in the area on the night of the 30th.

So, I'll have another full day to explore the area before I leave on August 1st.

If you do happen to get out this way next Monday... you might be able to un-thaw from your chilly, wet fishing trip.   :)

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_8.png

Speaking of July-August 2013, that was a historically un-troughy (is that a word?) period. Stampede Pass didn't have a single maximum below 61F during that entire two-month stretch, the only time this has happened. July had no maximums below 64F for the only time on record. To illustrate how anomalous this is, the early July 2000 cold trough brought a maximum of 40F to Stampede Pass...monthly record low max is 38F in 1979. 

I really liked that progression from summer 2013 to February 2014. Probably my favoritest stretch of weather this decade.

If you do happen to get out this way next Monday... you might be able to un-thaw from your chilly, wet fishing trip. :)

ecmwf_z500_mslp_us_8.png

I'd actually love a few rainy, windy days.

Heck, I shovel snow in short sleeves sometimes.

I really liked that progression from summer 2013 to February 2014. Probably my favoritest stretch of weather this decade.

I would have to agree. Beautiful summer, classic fall, and a very satisfying winter to anyone not concerned with skiing or agriculture. This is at least true for Portland, I know Seattle sort of got hosed in the snow department. I'd give an honorable mention to July 2016 - February 2017 as well. 

I'd actually love a few rainy, windy days.

Heck, I shovel snow in short sleeves sometimes.

I do that all the time.  

My son has been known to shovel with no shirt on at all... while its still snowing.   :)