July 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

I'm wondering if the GFS has gone completely off the rails. Even the MRF-MOS (based on the GFS) is spitting out 109-108 for EUG and 108-108 for SLE, although it's only showing 102-104 for PDX. 

You would think that but... The 12z ECMWF operational is at 110 and the EPS is at 107. I think PDX has a legit shot at breaking 107. 

18z GFS cooled all the way down to 112 on Thursday!  :lol:

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

I have an entirely new perspective on heatwaves now. Part of me is excited for the extreme, but the other part is like, ok my 7 month old is going to be miserable when it's grossly hot and he can't sleep. . .

During the last heat wave I slept outside in the backyard for a couple nights. Was quite a bit better than in the house.

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

KGW has jumped on board with 105 & 106 for Wed-Thu. 

Same forecast over at the NWS as well. Definitely conservative at this point which makes sense. Yet at the same time seeing 29-30c @850mb with light offshore flow shouldn't be discounted either. 

• Like 1

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

Same forecast over at the NWS as well. Definitely conservative at this point which makes sense. Yet at the same time seeing 29-30c @850mb and light offshore flow shouldn't be discounted either. 

I agree about being conservative. Never wise to forecast all-time records 5 days out, even if your best numerical guidance say so. 

• Like 1

Thursday smells like an underachiever.

I think we all know it isn't going to be 113 on Thursday. If by underachieving you mean 108 then you might be onto something... :P​ 

Cold Season 2023/24:

Another thing in favor of this coming heat wave is the bone dry conditions. With no rain in 6 weeks and minimal soil moisture, we should be able to maximize the daytime heating. A similar situation allowed 8/28/1967 to reach 102 at PDX and 105 downtown, as this occurred more than two months after the last measurable rainfall. Heading into the July 2009 heat wave, PDX was only two weeks removed from a 0.33" rainfall. That might be all the difference needed to turn a 106 into 107. 

• Like 1

Another thing in favor of this coming heat wave is the bone dry conditions. With no rain in 6 weeks and minimal soil moisture, we should be able to maximize the daytime heating. A similar situation allowed 8/28/1967 to reach 102 at PDX and 105 downtown, as this occurred more than two months after the last measurable rainfall. Heading into the July 2009 heat wave, PDX was only two weeks removed from a 0.33" rainfall. That might be all the difference needed to turn a 106 into 107.

I was pondering this today as well.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

For what it's worth, the 1981 ridge was more impressive in all aspects compared to what is currently advertised. 850's with that maxed out around 27c with that if memory serves.

25.8C was the maximum sounding at SLE in August 1981, although 850's could have maxed out between the soundings. July 2006 had that number beat with 27.0C on the afternoon of the 22nd. Too bad we couldn't keep a clear sky that day. 

• Like 1

25.8C was the maximum sounding at SLE in August 1981, although 850's could have maxed out between the soundings. July 2006 had that number beat with 27.0C on the afternoon of the 22nd. Too bad we couldn't keep a clear sky that day.

That 2006 ridge was a beast. I think we just missed the mark with that one with the axis being a bit too far east. Too much anticyclonic flow.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

That 2006 ridge was a beast. I think we just missed the mark with that one with the axis being a bit too far east. Too much anticyclonic flow.

It was. I remember Fresno NWS describing the heat wave as a 1-in-200 year event down there, after KFAT tied or broke its all-time record high on 5 straight days. 

What happened on that date in your area? 

It was predicted to be clear/sunny with potentially record setting heat and strong outflow, but a major forest fire in the Coastal Range went nuts and threw an incredible amount of thick smoke into the outflow. It was by far the worst smoke event I've ever experienced and was downright nasty with bits of ash falling for several days.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/nasa-metro-vancouver-fire-smoke-satellite-954x500.jpg

This is what it looked like on the island underneath:

http://i.imgur.com/NF8UiE3.jpg

• Like 2

It was predicted to be clear/sunny with potentially record setting heat and strong outflow, but a major forest fire in the Coastal Range went nuts and threw an incredible amount of thick smoke into the outflow. It was by far the worst smoke event I've ever experienced and was downright nasty with bits of ash falling for several days.

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/nasa-metro-vancouver-fire-smoke-satellite-954x500.jpg

Wow, you were really in the bullseye for that. 

Ash falling here in the Cariboo this evening. I can't post pictures, unfortunately, the network up here is pretty poor.

Ash falling here in the Cariboo this evening. I can't post pictures, unfortunately, the network up here is pretty poor.

It's still pretty bad out there? The satellite imagery looks better for that region as a whole but there are still a lot of fires burning.

A surprisingly warm end to the day here in Victoria today. It hovered between 70~72F until mid afternoon then shot up to 80F with a more westerly wind and has been warm right through the evening. Yet YYJ may not have even made it to 70F today.

Our goldilocks summer continues. :)

The upcoming heat wave will not fit that description... but the weather has been near perfect for all of July and fires on the other side of the mountains are to be expected at this time of year.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Phil is missing out on a temperature of 69 F with a dewpoint of 54 F at DCA. The high was only 77 F there today.

Fullerton, CA is 71 F with a dewpoint of 64 F in another warm marine layer.

Wow... that is essentially the same as Seattle right now.   And Seattle had a high of 81 today which was 4 degrees warmer than DC.   :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

The upcoming heat wave will not fit that description... but the weather has been near perfect for all of July and fires on the other side of the mountains are to be expected at this time of year.

True. Many of those towns are evacuated several times a summer on average.

True. Many of those towns are evacuated several times a summer on average.

No... but there will be fires and there be people evacuated on the dry side of the mountains in the summer.   Its not like its been catastrophic... it was still very wet last month.    And will be very wet again in a couple months.  

MRF-MOS has 112 for Eugene on Wednesday based on the 00Z GFS. If it wasn't a 1980's algorithm driving the guidance I would give it more thought, but that's still pretty insane. I don't think I've seen numbers like that for the Willamette Valley on any numerical guidance before. PDX is up to 107 for Thursday, from 104 on the 12Z.