July 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

Hippa Island might also be the most beautiful place I've ever visited, with the exception of Hawaii and SE Georgia.

Temperatures and weather conditions (by JJA standards) were also perfect. Mid-50s highs and breezy w/ frequent rain showers and some sunshine in-between is my ideal summer. I'm not sure how I'd handle a winter there, though. Might be a bit too dark for my taste.

If wet and cold is your ideal summer... then who cares about winter?  Obviously its wet and cold there for almost the entire year.   What you described is a very common late fall / winter / early spring day here.   Thankfully we have some meaningful seasonal variety.   :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Are you cheering for a 110?!

No... I am not.   

I am cheering for low 80s.   Just posting the guidance related to this heat event like we do for cold events.

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

A perfect 80 degrees and sunny here.    Ideal summer day to me.   :)

Warmest day of the month so far up here as far as the daily mean goes, mostly on account of a "warm" low. There have been warmer daytime highs and overnight lows but the other "warm" lows tended to be followed by relatively cool days. Tomorrow may go warmer but I'll bet tonight cools off a fair amount. Next week will be a different story, the GFS has some 70F+ lows progged, that would be warmer than any of the mean daily temperatures we've seen this month.

For what it's worth, the 1981 ridge was more impressive in all aspects compared to what is currently advertised. 850's with that maxed out around 27c with that if memory serves.

Nice, you mind grabbing some reanalysis maps for the Aug 1981 event? It's looking like 28c/29c assuming the Euro Op/ensemble mean prevails.

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

25.8C was the maximum sounding at SLE in August 1981, although 850's could have maxed out between the soundings. July 2006 had that number beat with 27.0C on the afternoon of the 22nd. Too bad we couldn't keep a clear sky that day.

Yeah, I don't expect any conv debris will spoil the fun this time. Personally I'm thinking PDX sees 108 on Thu and perhaps an isolated 110 shows up at one of the other ASOS, best chance probably in lee of Coast Range (HIO) or mid-valley (MMV, SLE).

The Pacific Northwest: Where storms go to die.

Yeah, I don't expect any conv debris will spoil the fun this time. Personally I'm thinking PDX sees 108 on Thu and perhaps an isolated 110 shows up at one of the other ASOS, best chance probably in lee of Coast Range (HIO) or mid-valley (MMV, SLE).

I've noticed an interesting pattern. You generally take guidance at face value with heatwaves and discount it or go on the warm side with cold snaps. Usually serves you well on the cold calls.

• Like 2

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Well, if a credible 110 pops up on the valley floor I believe it will be the first on record. Bull Run Headworks hit 110 on 7/13/1935 but that's in the foothills. I believe the 109 at Forest Grove on 7/19/1956 is the valley floor benchmark. I also remember 111 at Mayfield Power Plant in July 2009 but I can't find evidence of that reading anywhere now.

• Like 2

Well, if a credible 110 pops up on the valley floor I believe it will be the first on record. Bull Run Headworks hit 110 on 7/13/1935 but that's in the foothills. I believe the 109 at Forest Grove on 7/19/1956 is the valley floor benchmark. I also remember 111 at Mayfield Power Plant in July 2009 but I can't find evidence of that reading anywhere now.

Ok, I knew my memory wasn't playing tricks on me. I tracked down that 111 degree reading in the original COOP form for July 2009. For some reason, that reading never made it into the monthly or annual climate summaries for WA state that year, and to compound matters it's been scrubbed from the daily summary stats @ the WRCC (along with many other readings that have been spuriously QC'd out).

https://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-F479D301-A0B6-48FB-954B-D59A13A00D0A-wxc3.pdf

Reading actually occurred on 7/29 but was recorded under 7/30 due to the COOP reporting lag.

Could the smoke from the BC fires act to limit highs and warm up lows?

Seems pretty likely that we will soon be getting into a smoky situation on this side of the mountains with the onshore flow cutting off.   It does not take much to limit heating.  

The long duration is worse. I'd much prefer a relatively short, extreme event.

The 168+ hour stuff should be taken with a grain of salt at this point, the models are still throwing a number of ideas out there. The stuff coming into the realistic view looks dampened down to a not quite all time historic level. And Wednesday is actually looking like it could be the hottest day.

Seems pretty likely that we will soon be getting into a smoky situation on this side of the mountains with the onshore flow cutting off. It does not take much to limit heating.

Smoke forecasts do bring the smoke to the west side as we move towards mid week.

Latest estimates for area burned in BC is 1,050,000 acres

What does it say for Seattle?

Wed: 87

Thurs: 91

Fri: 94

Sat: 89

But you can probably add 3-5 degrees to account for its cool bias in the Puget Sound region.

Give us 110 on Thursday and 85 Friday and beyond...I'd rather have that than 105 and 90-95 for another ten d**n days!

Here the 12Z ECMWF output for PDX...

KPDX_2017073112_ecmwf_min_max_10.png

That's ridiculous.

Porltand is the new Redding.

Except when it rained for months on end this spring and was buried in snow for a week in January.  :)

Here the 12Z ECMWF output for PDX...

KPDX_2017073112_ecmwf_min_max_10.png

2009/1981/1967 redux?

I'm pretty sure if PDX hits 108, there will be a 70+ low in there. In 1981 they scored a 107/61 day with no lows above 67, but that was pre-modern UHI.

2009, of course, tied the all-time record warm low from 1941 with 74.

A forum for the end of the world.

Porltand is the new Redding.

Except when it rained for months on end this spring and was buried in snow for a week in January.   :)

Then again, Redding saw their fair share of rain this past fall/winter, too. Record wet October with 7.78", over 11" in January, 7.58" in February.

A forum for the end of the world.