July 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

2009/1981/1967 redux?

I'm pretty sure if PDX hits 108, there will be a 70+ low in there. In 1981 they scored a 107/61 day with no lows above 67, but that was pre-modern UHI.

2009, of course, tied the all-time record warm low from 1941 with 74.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see somewhat decent overnight recoveries, at least this week. Air looks pretty dry. Might not see any 65+ dewpoints this go around.

Here the 12Z ECMWF output for PDX...

KPDX_2017073112_ecmwf_min_max_10.png

It's crazy seeing this so soon after 2015 (and 2009 for that matter). It will be interesting to see if we'll be able to string together more than 10 days at 90+ this time around. 

We had convective blowoff ruin what would have been a 12 day streak back in 2015. High of 85 on 6/28 with 21-23C @ 850mb. 

It's crazy seeing this so soon after 2015 (and 2009 for that matter). It will be interesting to see if we'll be able to string together more than 10 days at 90+ this time around.

It hasn't happened yet, of course. Wouldn't surprise me too much to see the models cool off the back end of this stretch a little once the dust settles.

Beautiful day in downtown Seattle. Took a ride on that Ferris wheel and nearly dropped my phone taking a picture. :rolleyes:

I leave for Tampa, FL tomorrow morning at 730AM, so I'll have a pretty big adjustment to make, climate wise.

Beautiful day in downtown Seattle. Took a ride on that Ferris wheel and nearly dropped my phone taking a picture. :rolleyes:

I leave for Tampa, FL tomorrow morning at 730AM, so I'll have a pretty big adjustment to make, climate wise.

Take a drive out I-90 to Snoqualmie Pass and back... totally different world and only take an hour.  :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Still no pictures whatsoever huh?

• Like 1

Im thinking of applying for a position down in Grants Pass...If so I'll have to get used to this heat...

Snowfall                                  Precip

2022-23: 95.0"                      2022-23: 17.39"

2021-22: 52.6"                    2021-22: 91.46" 

2020-21: 12.0"                    2020-21: 71.59"

2019-20: 23.5"                   2019-20: 58.54"

2018-19: 63.5"                   2018-19: 66.33"

2017-18: 30.3"                   2017-18: 59.83"

2016-17: 49.2"                   2016-17: 97.58"

2015-16: 11.75"                 2015-16: 68.67"

2014-15: 3.5"
2013-14: 11.75"                  2013-14: 62.30
2012-13: 16.75"                 2012-13: 78.45  

2011-12: 98.5"                   2011-12: 92.67"

It's always sunny at Winters Hill! 
Fighting the good fight against weather evil.

Still no pictures whatsoever huh?

I have hundreds of pictures, dude. I'm trying to enjoy my last day here and will post them later. That okay with you?

There used to be forest fires much more frequently in the BC Cariboo region. The fact that there hasn't been forest fires in decades has lead to really dense forests and much more fuel for large forest fires. Thought you guys might find this interesting. http://www.wltribune.com/news/fires-used-to-be-much-more-common-according-to-ubc-research/

• Like 1

There used to be forest fires much more frequently in the BC Cariboo region. The fact that there hasn't been forest fires in decades has lead to really dense forests and much more fuel for large forest fires. Thought you guys might find this interesting. http://www.wltribune.com/news/fires-used-to-be-much-more-common-according-to-ubc-research/

Sorry, but I have already made up my mind that the very wet spring (which I did NOT like) is entirely to blame for the fires up there.

wildfire_670_2.jpg

A forum for the end of the world.

Middle fork of the Snoqualmie River on the north side of North Bend on our hike this weekend... this is just a few miles from our house and we never knew the trail existed.   Our son took us out there to show us some of the places he has discovered on his own since getting his driver's license.  :)

20451998_1403016486433222_77220091897498

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Sorry, but I have already made up my mind that the very wet spring (which I did NOT like) is entirely to blame for the fires up there.

I know that in areas where grass and brush fires are common... a wet winter and spring can make the fire season more combustible.  

I am not sure if that is the case on the east side of the mountains in BC, but this was always mentioned down in SoCal when we lived there.  

Middle fork of the Snoqualmie River on the north side of North Bend on our hike this weekend... this is just a few miles from our house and we never knew the trail existed.   Our son took us out there to show us some of the places he has discovered on his own since getting his driver's license.   :)

I've been back in there many times since moving here a year ago. Fabulous place to go hiking. 

Mercer Island, 350 ft

2021-2022: 11.6", 02/21

2020-2021: 15.6"

2019-2020: ~10"

2018-2019 winter snowfall total: 29.5"

2017-2018: 9.0", 2016-2017: 14.0"

Middle fork of the Snoqualmie River on the north side of North Bend on our hike this weekend... this is just a few miles from our house and we never knew the trail existed. Our son took us out there to show us some of the places he has discovered on his own since getting his driver's license. :)

You never knew about the trails on the Middle Fork? I live almost 200 miles away and know about those.

I'm going to need to buy and send you a hiking guide. ;) There is so much in your area.

You can't even post a couple from your phone? The last few I did last winter I did from my phone and only took a minute to do.

Fine, dude.

Today from that restaurant near Pike place market.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/E72C43E9-3067-4863-A570-5355F6B29690_zpsfvmguw8k.jpg

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/85025ACA-665F-417D-80D0-4BD313F48E7F_zps2qdfduqw.jpg

Black bear chilling outside the Hippa Island Lodge:

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/95F40928-B7B8-426B-8163-BF5F1CD0644D_zpsntoranhz.jpg

First day fishing off the island:

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/891EF6F8-B825-42A0-B5D3-0883A74286F6_zps8kb2ddrs.jpg

Drizzly evening.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/001384AA-762F-44EF-B4DD-F782FA549283_zps2hz0tkdc.jpg

• Like 5

I've been back in there many times since moving here a year ago. Fabulous place to go hiking. 

I guess that road was recently paved.   Its an awesome road now that goes on for miles back into the mountain valley.    The funny thing is that you have to go through a really old section of road first... then it opens up into this sparkling new road.   My boys have gone to Valley Camp several times with Boy Scouts... which is right before you start on the new road.

The problem is there are no pictures. He didn't go there.

Why are you such a paranoid schizophrenic? I bet you'll be institutionalized by age 50. The disease gets worse with age.

Group of bald eagles on the mini-island at low tide. Not a great picture though.

I'll post lots more when I'm at the airport tomorrow.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/26FE5A55-AC60-45E2-94FE-34F376355772_zps40gnmyes.jpg

• Like 1

Fine, dude.

Today from that restaurant near Pike place market.

Black bear chilling outside the Hippa Island Lodge:

First day fishing off the island:

Drizzly evening.

The Seattle pics look more like what summer should look like... we get to enjoy those Hippa Island type scenes here from late October - April.   :)

That's my style. You should know that by now.

I did take a few selfies but they're buried somewhere within the 400+ photos I took. Sorry, but you'll have to wait at least another few hours for my mugshot.

I'm actually relieved that it looks like you were (likely) telling the truth about visiting here. :) I honestly want to believe you about things. You dug yourself into quite the hole there for a few years, though. I don't think you can blame anyone for being skeptical.

• Like 1

Similar story across the western US. Once we decided to fence off land and attach dollar signs, fire became a bad thing that needed to be suppressed. The tree rings show consistent fire scarring pretty much anywhere you look across the West, right up until the time that Europeans moved in. 

• Like 2

I'm actually relieved that it looks like you were (likely) telling the truth about visiting here. :) I honestly want to believe you about things. You dug yourself into quite the hole there for a few years, though. I don't think you can blame anyone for being skeptical.

Cynical forum cop.

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

Similar story across the western US. Once we decided to fence off land and attach dollar signs, fire became a bad thing that needed to be suppressed. The tree rings show consistent fire scarring pretty much anywhere you look across the West, right up until the time that Europeans moved in.

Very true. There is also lots of evidence that the natives would purposefully set small intensity fires on an almost yearly basis, in certain areas. This was both to promote the growth of specific plants (such as huckleberries) and draw out game. Mill Plain, Fourth Plain and Fifth Plain in the Vancouver area all are named after historic, large fire-managed clearings of this type.

Middle fork of the Snoqualmie River on the north side of North Bend on our hike this weekend... this is just a few miles from our house and we never knew the trail existed. Our son took us out there to show us some of the places he has discovered on his own since getting his driver's license. :)

I'm 1000 mi away and hike those trails every year, after discovering them long ago.

A forum for the end of the world.