August 2017 PNW Discussion Thread

Geos

Yet... June was pleasant and even wet except for a few days at the end and July was perfect based on most everyone's opinion on here. And August was pretty decent except for the first 10 days.

So its been way more pleasant than it has been miserably hot in the JJA time frame. :)

It's been another historically hot summer here. We have seen a string of about five of them now. The idiots that don't like hot summers here aren't too happy about it. It isn't rocket science.

:)

I am not trying to get a rise out of you.   Every single year we encounter thick smoke driving through Montana... my sons have concluded that they would never go to school there based on our drive through the state twice each summer.  Although they are not seeing it in the winter.   :)

Its 12 hours across the state on I-90 and then I-94 after Billings and its mostly brown in the summer.   The exception being the far western portion of the state (from the ID state line to west of Missoula) and the area just east of Bozeman.  

Idaho panhandle is where it's at.

I don't want a webcam war man. Just cut it out.

Not a war.   

I did not know what it looked like right now until I pulled it up... but that does look almost exactly like most of western and central Montana did when we drove through there on August 3rd and again on August 12th.   

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Not a war.

I did not know what it looked like right now until I pulled it up... but that does look almost exactly like most of western and central Montana did when we drove through there on August 3rd and again on August 12th.

I guess the only reasonable conclusion is it must be like that all time time there. Just like Seattle Washington, since the three times I traveled through there this summer and the one time I looked at a webcam it was smoky.

I guess the only reasonable conclusion is it must be like that all time time there. Just like Seattle Washington, since the three times I traveled through there this summer and the one time I looked at a webcam it was smoky.

Did I say all the time? You are very defensive about Montana. :)

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

Incredibly smoky skies over central OR. Need some cooler marine air to knock down these fires. The Nash Fire northwest of Cascade Lakes Highway has the Elk Lake area under level 2 evac.

21125652_815777098600753_1587507101464391660_o.jpg

Bend, OR

Elevation: 3550'

Snow History:

Nov: 1"

Dec: .5"

Jan: 1.9"

Feb: 12.7"

Mar: 1.0"

Total: 17.1"

2016/2017: 70"

2015/2016: 34"

Average: ~25"

2017/2018 Winter Temps

Lowest Min: 1F on 2/23

Lowest Max: 23F on 12/24, 2/22

Lows <32: 87

Highs <32: 13

Did I say all the time? You are very defensive about Montana. :)

No, you have always gone out of your way to really emphasize how awful it is there every time you travel through. Usually I try to ignore it. I think it started with Jim talking about moving there, which makes sense given your unhealthy obsession with him.

Anyway, I really don't want to be having this discussion anymore. I walked into one of your douchy traps and now the last few pages are littered with a bunch of silly arguing.

• Like 2

This is what September insanity looks like. Makes it easy to forget that the September record for consecutive 95+ days at PDX is two.

That's gonna bust high. All the models are showing pretty dead gradients for most days. 95+ very soon needs a solid downslope assist.

Tricky call, though. We're like right at that edge.

• Like 1

My preferences can beat up your preferences’ dad.

No, you have always gone out of your way to really emphasize how awful it is there every time you travel through. Usually I try to ignore it. I think it started with Jim talking about moving there, which makes sense given your unhealthy obsession with him.

Anyway, I really don't want to be having this discussion anymore. I walked into one of your douchy traps and now the last few pages are littered with a bunch of silly arguing.

Really? I don't remember being so anti-Montana. Seems overly-sensitive on your part. There is good and bad like everywhere else. Its definitely brown and frequently smoky and hazy in the mid and late summer. That was the complaint being raised by Andrew in his area. Montana is not that different at this time of year.

That's gonna bust high. All the models are showing pretty dead gradients for most days. 95+ very soon needs a solid downslope assist.

Tricky call, though. We're like right at that edge.

I agree. I don't expect us to pull off six straight 95+ out of this. It's still crazy seeing those numbers on a local forecast, though.

There's a lot of factors and variables.

AGW projections of more persistent patterns is just one side of a loaded dice. I'm not saying it's necessarily accurate or true, but that's consensus expectations.

I don't see much evidence to suppprt the claim that patterns becoming more "persistent", whatever that means.

Gonna be a close call with this one. At least we have 10 days to figure out where she'll go.

http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww243/phillywillie/Mobile%20Uploads/672D8CE2-37FE-46BD-8844-DF16B89CB42A_zpsugoh71ec.jpg

Montana seems terribly smoky every year when we drive through there.

No doubt Western Montana can get smoke off and on but as we've seen so can Portland and Seattle. Bozeman does quite a bit better smoke wise with getting more moisture throughout the year and less dry lightning.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Total snowfall: 26"

Highest daily snowfall: 5"

Deepest snow depth: 12"

Coldest daily high: -20ºF

Coldest daily low: -42ºF

Number of subzero days: 5

Personal Weather Station on Wunderground: 

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

No doubt Western Montana can get smoke off and on but as we've seen so can Portland and Seattle. Bozeman does quite a bit better smoke wise with getting more moisture throughout the year and less dry lightning.

Yeah... that was noticeable on both trips through Montana.   It seemed to be less hazy and much greener around Bozeman.   The area just east of Bozeman is like a Montana postcard.   :)

This has been the worst year that I can remember here for smoke and my guess is that its about to get bad again.   Take away the smoke and this summer has been just about perfect.   

Yeah... that was noticeable on both trips through Montana.   It seemed to be less hazy and much greener around Bozeman.   The area just east of Bozeman is like a Montana postcard.   :)

This has been the worst year that I can remember here for smoke and my guess is that its about to get bad again.   Take away the smoke and this summer has been just about perfect.   

Yeah, east and south Bozeman is definitely the area you want to be. ~25" of yearly precip and pretty evenly spaced out throughout the year. Helps that half of that falls in the form of snow.

You really should take a visit out here sometime in the winter or even late spring. I'm sure your viewpoint of Montana would change exponentially!

IMG_0148.JPG

DSC_0069.JPG

• Like 4

Cold Season 2023/24:

https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTBOZEM152#history

0Z NAM not quite as aggressive for Saturday as the GFS has been. Showing 26.0C @ 850 compared to the 27+ the GFS has been showing on its last few runs. Maintaining heights at 594 however...still good for a shot at 100 IMO, even without any real offshore flow.

Looks like the 00z GFS is going with 98-98-98 at PDX over the 3 day holiday weekend with heights still building thereafter. Crazy.

Cold Season 2023/24:

Yeah, east and south Bozeman is definitely the area you want to be. ~25" of yearly precip and pretty evenly spaced out throughout the year. Helps that half of that falls in the form of snow.

You really should take a visit out here sometime in the winter or even late spring. I'm sure your viewpoint of Montana would change exponentially!

attachicon.gifIMG_0148.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_0069.JPG

I want to visit Montana one day. I've seen many beautiful pictures.

• Like 1

Looks like upper 90's Saturday, low 90's Sunday, mid 90's Monday to me.

Is that the official IHMG (Indian Head Man Guidance) forecast or is that your interpretation of the GFS? 

Cold Season 2023/24:

Looks like the 00z GFS is going with 98-99-98 at PDX over the 3 day holiday weekend with heights still building thereafter. Crazy.

Tuesday could be the day to watch. Light easterly winds with 850's possibly in the 25-26C range.

9/7/1981 hit 99 with 24C @ 850 and surface east winds around 10-12 mph during the afternoon.

Tuesday could be the day to watch. Light easterly winds with 850's possibly in the 25-26C range.

9/7/1981 hit 99 with 24C @ 850 and surface east winds around 10-12 mph during the afternoon.

Yeah the 00z GFS shows 27ºC @850mb for Tuesday but as Dewey mentioned, have to watch out for a high cloud/smoke shocker.

Cold Season 2023/24:

GFS.

Well in that case, I don't know what to tell you other than that's what the output shows for this weekend.

Sunday

Screen Shot 2017-08-30 at 10.30.52 PM.png

Cold Season 2023/24: