PNW December 2022 - Part II

Guest hawkstwelve

Guest hawkstwelve

Those wind field maps of the strait are a bit deceptive. Every storm so far where there is a dead zone over the Snohomish river valley still get the southerly shift and then the four hour wind wave that blasts in from Whidby.

Absolutely filthy out there.

• Like 3

Springfield, Oregon regular season 2023-24 Stats:

• Coldest high: 25F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Coldest low: 20F (Jan 14, 2024)
  • Days with below freezing temps: 24 (Most recent: Mar 8, 2024)
  • Days with sub-40F highs: 4 (Most recent: Jan 16, 2024)
  • Total snowfall: 0.0"
  • Total ice: 2.25”
  • Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021 (1.9")
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 15, 2024 (27F)
  • Last White Christmas: 1990
  • Significant wind events (gusts 45+): 0

Personal Stats:

• Last accumulating snowfall on roads: Dec 27, 2021
  • Last sub-freezing high: Jan 16, 2024 (32F)
  • Last White Christmas: 2008
  • Total snowfall since joining TheWeatherForums: 42.0"
  • Sub-freezing highs since joining TheWeatherForums: 4

Venmo

GoFundMe "College Basketball vs Epilepsy": gf.me/u/zk3pj2

My Twitter @CBBjerseys4hope

Somewhat funny-- the NWS forecasts for Seattle and Portland are similar-- yet NWS Portland refuses to (unlike Seattle) pull the trigger on a HWW.

• Like 2

"Let's mosey!"

--Cloud Strife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Top 5 Snow Events (post 2014):

(1. January 10th, 2017: 18.5 in.

(2. February 6th, 2014: 7.5 inches

(3. February 20th, 2018: 5.0 inches

(4. February 21st, 2018: 4.0 inches

(5. December 14th, 2016: 3.5 inches

Honourable Mentions: December 7th, 2018, February 9th, 2019.

Total since joining the Weather Forums: 3"

How about all this rain?   SEA is at 6.62 inches for December... normal is 5.72 inches.

Should go over 40 inches for 2022 by tomorrow making it another wet calendar year despite recording setting drought for 5 months in the middle.   Pretty amazing.   

Also should be wetter than normal for the new water year by tomorrow as well.    Making up lots of ground this week.

• Like 4

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

30 minutes ago, RentonHillTC said:

Quality north bend snow pile47E8366E-76C0-4C2E-96B3-1FA187E8F500.thumb.jpeg.4c4462f93f3365b1bb2cb8f43e03338c.jpeg

That is sooooo much better than the complete mess down there just 48 hours ago.    You couldn't even walk in that gas station parking lot over the weekend... it was a solid sheet of ice.  

Side note... our neighbor has owned that gas station for several decades.   He also sponsors the fireworks show in the summer.   He and his wife were born and raised in North Bend and they are in their 70s now.   They started spending winters in Hawaii about 5 years ago.   I bet I could make them homesick if I sent them this pic.  😀

• Like 1

**REPORTED CONDITIONS AND ANOMALIES ARE NOT MEANT TO IMPLY ANYTHING ON A REGIONAL LEVEL UNLESS SPECIFICALLY STATED**

1 minute ago, MossMan said:

I hope so, shows barely a breeze up here. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was just breezy up there. The lows track isn’t really favorable for strong winds in the NW interior. Comes in right over the top of NW WA and the highest winds are going to be to the south of the low. 

• Sick 1

Just now, TacomaWx said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if it was just breezy up there. The lows track isn’t really favorable for strong winds in the NW interior. Comes in right over the top of NW WA and the highest winds are going to be to the south of the low. 

Guess the westerly surge down to the strait is no longer happening. Too bad. 

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth!