PNW December 2022 - Part II

Guest hawkstwelve

The ECMWF is pretty bullish on a few frosty nights coming up.  That's something at least.

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

Happy new year! Here’s to breaking the January curse later this month! 🎉 

• Like 1
  • Excited 1

2023 - 2024 Cold Season Stats

Total Snowfall - 0.75”

Max Snow Depth - 0.5”

Coldest High Temp - 21 (Jan 13)

Coldest Low Temp - 9 (Jan 13)

Number of Freezes - 48

Sub-40 highs - 12

Highs 32 or lower - 3

Pretty cool show at the Needle tonight.

Happy New Year everybody!

Death To Warm Anomalies!

Winter 2023-24 stats

Total Snowfall = 1.0"

Day with 1" or more snow depth = 1

Total Hail = 0.0

Total Ice = 0.2

Coldest Low = 13

Lows 32 or below = 45

Highs 32 or below = 3

Lows 20 or below = 3

Highs 40 or below = 9

9 hours ago, snow_wizard said:

Somebody said it was snowing at 34 degrees.  Obviously the light and fluffy mention means it got colder or this is a higher elevation.  I'm glad for them.

it started snowing at 34F yesterday then after about 3 hours it dropped to around 30F. I got 36" in around 10 hours. Craziest storm I have ever seen.

Snow lab is at 6800' so just 500' higher than the lake.

• Like 1

Thought I would get this posted for record keeping sake…And at the gas station so I have internet lol. Slightly less liquid through the gage this year as opposed to last year. However we could probably add a few inches since I did accidentally wipe all the snow off the WS last January 1st trying to get the thing to send a signal. Also my temp right before midnight was slightly warmer than last year. 

CC23F318-82E0-4EF3-8048-52218ED14E32.jpeg

83ECC670-C57F-49D1-B69A-1C9A90B965F3.jpeg

FCE7D52D-3C5B-4785-BF50-3A9044EEC137.jpeg

Elevation 580’ Location a few miles east of I-5 on the Snohomish Co side of the Snohomish/Skagit border. I love snow/cold AND sun/warmth! 

On 12/27/2022 at 2:37 PM, luterra said:

All of the damage and power outages in Corvallis happened in a very short period at 4 am.  Winds are now much lighter by comparison.  SSE winds can surface here much more easily than SW.

Peak gust at my sheltered station of 33 mph is the highest so far in this location (since 2016).

Peak winds corresponded with a brief but rapid pressure rise from the lowest point (29.03") and a sudden temperature drop albeit only slightly more than a degree.  Not much rain happening at the time.

What sort of phenomenon would this be?  Passage of occluded front mixing winds briefly to the surface?

Pressure surge alone would augment vertical momentum transfer, possibly mixing down stronger gusts from aloft where wind direction was veered more W/SW. The wind shift could’ve also been a mesoscale phenomenon but the pressure surge would still have been integral.

• Like 1